PDA

View Full Version : Ballard No. 6 in 32-40

Yosemite Sam
04-18-2014, 09:48 PM
A friend has a Ballard No. 6 in 32-40 that has been in his family since the Jurassic but has not been fired in decades; he asked if I could help him load some cartridges to shoot. He knows little about guns and reloading but I cast and load for my old leverguns (Win & Sav) in 32 Spl, 303 Sav, 30-40 Krag, etc. The groove diameter of the Ballard's crisp, shiny bore slugged at .329 suggesting that it may have been rebored at some time in its history according to Ken Waters' Pet Loads article on the 32-40 from the early 70s. Since this is too large for my 32 cal moulds, we decided to try the Lee C329-205-1R 8x56mm Rimmed Hungarian which come out at 212 grains lubed & gas checked (BHN 14). We have both reformed 30-30 and new Win 32-40 brass.

The load data I can find are in the Lee manual: 204 gr lead boolit, either 13.0 gr H110 for 1369 fps or 13.5 gr H4227 for 1367 fps.
Also the Ideal Hand Book (1951): 185 gr cast, 11 gr 2400 for 1250 fps, or 13.0 gr 4759 for 1350 fps.

I am inclined to go with 4759 for greater load density but due to the heavier boolit we are using, starting with 9.0 grs which is another load given in the Ideal Hand Book for a 165 gr bullet. Our goal is to develop accurate, mild target loads that are gentle on the old gal. Any advice or guidance regarding loads from someone who has had experience with old single shot rifles would be greatly appreciated.

country gent
04-18-2014, 10:08 PM
These old timers are a ball to put thru thier paces. I would recomend having it checked by a knowlegdable Gunsmith as to soundness. Also maybe even a chamber castto be sure of chambering and what your working with. A starting load or even slightly below and a little work up should be sufficent, providing everything checks out. Keep in mind this is an old rifle and accuracy over speed and full power is justifed. I would even consider a true black powder load for the old girl as this is what she was probably desighned for. Look at Hodguns web site and Trail Boss there may be something there also.

Gunlaker
04-19-2014, 12:35 AM
I'd consider using black powder. The twist might not be tight enough for a 200gr bullet. I don't own any Ballards, but shoot a few original highwalls in .32-40. They are quite accurate with black powder and the light Saeco bullet.

Chris.

missionary5155
04-19-2014, 03:04 AM
Good morning
I do not dought if you try 3F you will probably have your most accurate load (or very near) in the first 10 shots. My simple rule of thumb is.. If it is a BP era caliber, fill the case with 3F so the proper OAL seated boolit made from 30-1 or 40-1 (my favorite) of correct diameter for that barrel throat for that rifle plus a cereal box wad compresses the power column about 1/16th inch or so. This compression can get fined tuned to the particular boolit. Shoot ten rounds.
Now try to beat that with any smokeless powder and good luck.
Now if this was a 44-77 I might start with 2F BP. But last time up That thinking got tossed when I found 3F Goex easily out shot 2F in my 50-95.
Mike in Peru

Yosemite Sam
04-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. I hadn't considered black powder - only because I've never used it before, but will keep it in mind. Isn't pressure a concern if one fills the case? Do you weigh black powder loads?

Gunlaker - I had the same thought regarding bullet weight, but there seemed to be few options wrt proper bullet diameter (.329+).

Gunlaker
04-19-2014, 06:32 PM
You might want to look for advice on the ASSRA forum. There are is a lot of Ballard expertise there. I wonder if your rifle was rebored to .33-47. With respect to black powder in the old firearms, pressure will be quite low even with FFg or Fg powder filled to the top of the case. I don't shoot smokeless in my single shots, but there are a lot of guys on the ASSRA forum that do. They'd certainly be able to get you up and running with safe smokeless charges in that Ballard.

Any chance you could post a picture or two of that fine rifle? :-)

Chris.

Yosemite Sam
04-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Thank you for suggesting ASSRA - quite a bit of useful information there. From what I gather, it may well have been rebored/chambered to 33-47 because it had last been fed loaded ammo, not muzzleloaded. A chamber cast is clearly in order. The next time the rifle is in my hands (in a few days), I'll take a picture to post.

Col4570
04-22-2014, 10:44 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/32-40MartiniBlackPowderRifle004.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/32-40MartiniBlackPowderRifle004.jpg.html)
I built this martini for the 32.40 round.The cases take exactly 40Grains of 3f Black powder.The recoil is small.the rifle is proofed for this charge with a 200 grain bullet.I am still looking for a good bullet.I have had some success breach seating the bullet with a card wad to hold in the powder.The twist is 1in 14" and measures out at .325.Must get back to trying to get it to shoot reasonably.The two cases on the right are 45.70 and 50.70 for comparison with the 32.40 rounds.

missionary5155
04-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Greetings
BP is instant ignition (sort of) but low pressure. Even 3F is usually below the pressure of many other powders that can match it for velocity. Plus 3F will wap a 40-1 up to throat size fast thus sealing the pressure behind the boolit base and get it started into the rifling very consistently. All together BP has very low deviance in pressure making for excellet internal balistics. Plus 3F builds pressure fast expanding cases to the chamber walls so there is little if any blowback into the action.
I was plesantly shocked when I fired my first 50-95 3F loads. 2F was leaving a black smudge on the 1876 bolt face and lifter. With 3F clean. No smudge on case exteriors either. And groups were better.. not drasticly but better.

COL45-70 Nice Martini ! I have an old Peabody 45-70 that has alot of those features but no where near as nice that blueing.
Mike in Peru

Yosemite Sam
04-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Here are pictures of the rifle I mentioned at the beginning of this thread:

She sure is purty - not mine, but belongs to a good friend. However, now I'm pretty sure that I need one, too.

Gunlaker
04-24-2014, 07:15 PM
That's beautiful. It looks like that one was very well cared for too. I see very few of them in my part of the world. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Chris.

dtknowles
04-24-2014, 09:33 PM
omg, I am in love

Tim

.22-10-45
04-26-2014, 02:09 AM
Yes those Ballards are pretty..be a shame to damage one using hot smokeless loads. Remember,,the latest Ballard left the Marlin factory around 1889. I was contemplating using smokelesss in a Ballard and was asking alot of questions as you are, I was told by a very competent gunsmith that the use of moderate smokeless loads while most likely be safe..over time would eventually stretch those old iron and early steel parts to the extent that it would have to be tightened up..this is acomplished by peening tail of breech block to lengthen. How many times can this be done before that old metal becomes so work-hardnend that cracks develope? I decided that out of respect for the old rifles, I would stick with the propellant they were designed for..Holy Black!

Yosemite Sam
04-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Can anyone recommend some good background reading on loading and shooting an old rifle like this with black powder?

Gunlaker
04-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Sure. Loading and Shooting Traditional Schuetzen Rifles by Randolph Wright. He's a member on the ASSRA site and posts under RSW. In addition to reading his book, I'd sign up over there and ask him or any of the other old hands any questions that you have.

Chris.