PDA

View Full Version : Lead in a SCCY

histed
04-18-2014, 09:02 PM
About a month or so back I bought a SCCY CX2. The manual says that SCCY does not recommend handloads or lead bullets, but that's what I shoot. As of now I have put about 350+ round through this pistol, all of them lead handloads and most using Bullseye or Unique. For anyone considering this fine pistol, here's my reaction FWIW.

First, the pistol fits my hand very well. I have wide hands, but short fingers and find it easy to operate the DA only trigger. SCCY supplies 2 10 round magazines with both pink extension and flat mag bottom options. I like the pinky extension and, with a Sneeky Pete, there's no worries about printing.

Second - operation. Lie I said, I've fired nothing but lead handloads. The very first magazine had 2 failures to feed. Since then I've had one and I think that was my fault, as the round measured somewhat longer than the others I was using. The trigger does have a LOOOOOOOOONG pull, but I find it fairy smooth and not unlike the DA on a revolver. It took a while (about 200 rounds) to get used to it, but I'm really liking it now. This pull also acts as a safety to help prevent premature or accidental discharges, especially in a high stress situation. I also like the white on white three dot sights. I haven't tried them in low light yet, but in both bright sun and cloudy conditions they are easy to pick up quickly. It easily shoots minute-of-bad-guy at 15 yards

Finally - price. No, this isn't a 1911 or a Glock or an XD, nor does it carry their price tag. I walked out the door of my LGS with the pistol and 2 10 round mags for $295.87 - including the background check. If you're considering a smaller carry pistol on a budget, I don't think you'll go wrong with the SCCY.

beezapilot
04-20-2014, 04:32 PM
I, on the otherhand, have just returned from the range with my neice- Half a box of Remington factory, and the SCCY came apart in her hand. The last shell did not eject, and the ejector snapped off. There are some other pins, parts, & pieces that were scattered hither and yon. I don't think she expected a match quality pistol for the $250- but....

The good news is that I am driving distance from Daytona and will be bringing it back to the factory...

I'll keep you posted.

Nazgul
04-20-2014, 06:06 PM
What is an SCCY?

Don

Tackleberry41
04-20-2014, 07:09 PM
SCCY is the new name for SKKY, guess they didnt know there was a vodka already using the name. And apparently to escape past problems with quality. My wife brought one home, somebody gave it to her. I looked it up never hearing of them before. Typical reviews for $250 price range guns. Broken parts, unreliable, etc. I never found it unreliable, but only ever used ball ammo, and some HP reload of mine, they all fed. But would misfire here or there, tried different ammos so was the pistol. Weight of the hammer, spring, who knows. Fortunately you could just pull the trigger again. Not particularly accurate.

LGS near me had one in the case, new one. I asked about it. He said they have a beyond hi point warranty. Ever have a problem, receipt or not, original owner or not, send it back they will fix it. Even so far as if it gets stolen and you have a police report they will send you one.

Its a $250 compact 9, so what can you expect quality wise?

Tackleberry41
04-20-2014, 07:17 PM
As for reloads and lead, hard to find a gun manual that doesnt say that anymore. No glock rifling where lead would be an issue. Doubt anything more than standard 9mm loads would be advisable, they come apart using those as it is.

histed
04-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Beeaza - Sorry to hear that. No one hurt, I hope. Please do let us know how you make out - like to know what their customer service has to say. Out of curiosity, was the CX1 or the CX2?

beezapilot
04-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Histed- I spoke with customer service today- they seemed very nice & professional- the factory is about 40 minutes from the house. I thought that I would push my luck when I dropped it off and see about a tour of the facilities. If they do give a tour I'll give as full a report as I can. It was a CX2.

histed
04-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Mine is also a CX2. I look forward to your report.

beezapilot
04-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Just back from the SCCY facility in Daytona- as with everything- good news and bad news... bad news first.

The bad news- those devils wouldn't give me a tour of the facility, something about insurance regulations.

The good news- I was there for all of 20 minutes and the rebuilt the CX2- new barrel, springs, ejector. They were very nice and professional, offered me some designer bottled water, and I waited in the reception area. Some points

1- They never asked me for a receipt, warranty card, or documentation. When I asked the rep about that- she replied "If it is one of ours, we fix it... Period".

2- They gave me a rather nice hat to boot!

3- Absolutely painless- no hoops, red tape, bumf, or warranty qualifications.

4- I'm pretty happy with that.

histed
04-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Wadaya know. Actual real honest-to-God customer USA service! How about letting us know how the "new" one shoots?

merlin101
04-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Just back from the SCCY facility in Daytona- as with everything- good news and bad news... bad news first.

The bad news- those devils wouldn't give me a tour of the facility, something about insurance regulations.

The good news- I was there for all of 20 minutes and the rebuilt the CX2- new barrel, springs, ejector. They were very nice and professional, offered me some designer bottled water, and I waited in the reception area. Some points

1- They never asked me for a receipt, warranty card, or documentation. When I asked the rep about that- she replied "If it is one of ours, we fix it... Period".

2- They gave me a rather nice hat to boot!

3- Absolutely painless- no hoops, red tape, bumf, or warranty qualifications.

4- I'm pretty happy with that.

You mean that this happened today? Like in 2014? :) Wow thats almost unheard of!

FergusonTO35
04-22-2014, 10:14 PM
I have a Kel-Tec PF9 that sees nothing but boolits. Given that KT and Sccy are unacknowledged cousins I'm sure they will work just fine. I really wish both firms had decided to go with a striker fired design instead of DAO.

beezapilot
04-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Well, the rebuilt pistol shoots just fine! Out of the box it had a few mis-fires that required a second hammer strike to fire the round- not so now. Went through 2 boxes of factory and a hundred cast reloads with not a glitch, gaff, or snarl. All is well, nothing but blue Sccys do I see.

silverado
09-06-2014, 04:44 PM
I have a 2nd gen with the safety. It took about a 100 round break in period before it would properly feed, and the mags are not the best. They just won't work will steel case ammo, and the other day I was shooting mind and the follower tilted, and the rounds were pointing nose up midway through a magazine. I still carry it, since I count on taking 1 to 2 shots if I am ever needing it.
My biggest complaint is the "safety guard" they put on it really digs into the web of my strong hand when firing.... should have gotten the non safety model.

claudesapp
09-10-2014, 12:08 AM
My SCCY is my daily carry, it;s a great gun that's been 100% for me. I went through a few magazine hiccups in the beginning, but customer service took care of the issues, and I've got 1000's of rounds through mine flawlessly. Mine is right along my Glocks and Sigs for reliability.

Until I read this post, never thought about loading cast for it though? There goes my Saturday afternoon.