PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - In The Middle of My First Smelt

Satokad
04-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Hey Folks,
I am in the middle of my first smelt. I will post picture shortly. However, when I melted the first lead, I don't really know what to look for in terms of impurities. The lead that I was using was some muffin type lead that I got from a recycler. It melted okay and there didn't really seem to be any thing that didn't look like it belonged. I melted about 8 pounds, but as it got towards the end, the surface started looking like it had a gold coating on top instead of the silver. Is that normal?
Thanks in advance.

Satokad
04-18-2014, 06:24 PM
By the way, I'm using Marvelux Flux Powder.

Czech_too
04-18-2014, 06:51 PM
I think you'll find, eventually, that as the lead gets hotter, in this case the lower/last in the pot, that you'll start to see different colors on the surface of the lead. It's normal. I use plain sawdust to flux so can't comment on the Marvelux.

sirsloop
04-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Normal... Keep fluxing and use a bottom pour ladle on your ingots

selmerfan
04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
First step. Take the Marvelux and put it in the nearest garbage can. Then go get some candle stubs, sawdust, or used motor oil and use that to flux. I have had nothing but a sticky mess with Marvelux - pretty much anything else works great. My favorite is cedar dust...great smell!

Satokad
04-21-2014, 09:19 PM
That's funny because the guy that sold it to me said it was the best thing ever...and he should know because he's the one selling it (said the gullible rookie caster).
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering how fine the sawdust would need to be. Can you use shavings (my daughter has a ton for her horse) , or does it need to be the finer powdery stuff? And last, how much at a time?
Thanks.

9-toes
04-21-2014, 10:37 PM
I'd just stick with sawdust. Home Depot or Lowe's should be able to hook you up. I'd also stick with sawdust from woods without glues. Avoid particle board. Remember, you're gonna be close to this stuff when it goes up. I find my combo of bullet lube and sawdust tends to pluck most of the impurities out of my smelt. I drop a bit of my lube the top of my smelt, stir then watch as this fine layer dirt and other items rise to the surface. Follow up with some sawdust and it seems like it soaks it up. Rinse and repeat then it's ingot pouring time.

zuke
04-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Cedar sawdust would add the certain ambiance to the day..........

Satokad
04-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Kind of like aromatherapy?

DLCTEX
04-21-2014, 11:04 PM
The larger the pieces of sawdust the longer you have to wait for it to turn to carbon. Light it when it starts smoking well to hurry it along.

gwpercle
04-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Satokad,
Most have a problem with Marvelux but I admit to using it when smelting. I use a combination . First use the dreaded white powder, stir and skim . Then wood shavings with some beeswax or parafin together all stired with wood paddle. After all that the metal is usually cleaned pretty good. When I started casting ( long time ago) The Lyman and RCBS cast bullet manuals said to use the "M" word so I do, ( I'm not throwing something away I paid good money for ) I wouldn't use it in a bottom pour pot though it may cause clogging, Using too much is the problem, but I ladle cast.
Welcome to the addiction....Gary

Tusker
04-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Hello all, you can find different kinds of sawdust at any pet supply store. It is used as pet bedding and as I recall comes in a "bale." Should last a long time.

Satokad
04-22-2014, 11:32 PM
That's the stuff I was referring to. They call it sawdust but it is more like shavings. Works great in a horse stall.

dikman
04-23-2014, 07:05 AM
9-toes, I don't think "rinse" is quite the right word to use in relation to melting lead?[smilie=1:

largom
04-23-2014, 07:25 AM
That's the stuff I was referring to. They call it sawdust but it is more like shavings. Works great in a horse stall.

The shavings work fine, just make sure they are very dry and have not absorbed any moisture.

Larry

captaint
04-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Please be sure the sawdust is completely charred BEFORE you stir it in. Let it turn black, then stir and enjoy. Mike

Wayne Smith
04-23-2014, 09:27 AM
I use sawdust, the pieces from turning green wood on my lathe, and shavings from planing and from chainsawing green wood lengthwise (rip sawing). As long as it is dry you can use it, yes, the bigger pieces take time to reduce.

9w1911
04-23-2014, 11:04 AM
I think I am going to make some nice fine sawdust today :)
I used to use the Franklin armory flux which at times worked really well but other times it was a mess, so I will make some nice dry fine dust today from a few logs lying around the back yard

BMac
04-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Used motor oil works good when doing coww.