PDA

View Full Version : Fun times with the 375 Ruger

High Desert Hunter
04-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Shot at 50 yards using IMR4198, bullets were the big 360gr Bull Shop FNGC and a fellow Cast Boolits Paper Patched creation. Shot from sticks and a few offhand.

NVScouter
04-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Not bad for rapid fire pistol. Just kidding.

Something tells me you need to find a new powder. I wanted a 375 Ruger before I got the H&H. When you tame it down that thing is a hammer!

High Desert Hunter
04-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Of the bench this load drops them all into a nice 1" hole, 2400 works pretty good as well. I wish the powder market would open up, would like to try a few other powders.

bigted
04-19-2014, 01:03 AM
I had a Ruger 375 and it was boringly accurate. cant recall the exact loads but it was easy to get runnin and accurate to boot.

had to play with a 458 winny so ... had a take off barrel ... so ... had the smith change barrels for me and went out and hurt myself with that huge stick ... hummer was accurate tho ... but now itz back at the smith to have the original 375 Ruger barrel installed back on it ... cant wait for it to get done and think I will be letting it be as what it were born with this time ... Ruger 375 thumper.

High Desert Hunter
04-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Mine has proven very accurate with almost every combo I have tried.

Heavy lead
04-19-2014, 09:34 PM
My little 20" barrel Ruger is unbelievably accurate, but man does it thump, something about that factory Hogue stock is simply miserable, I put 1/2 pound of shot in the buttstock to tame it down.
I should get a mold for it and load some fun loads, just have too many projects.

bigted
04-20-2014, 01:11 AM
I have both stocks for mine ... the hard plastic and the Hogue and I have to say that the Hogue is by far more comfy for me then the regular synthetic stock found on the .338's. I do agree tho that with full hefty loads in the 300 grain persuasion ... it flat out thumps ya.

High Desert Hunter
04-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Mine was the first Run of Alaskans, it wears a 23" barrel and a Black Laminate stock. I am currently waiting on a 350gr mold from Accurate Molds, looking forward to casting my own.

High Desert Hunter
04-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Going to try some loads with the same bullet and Unique, since I have a fair amount of Unique on hand.

bigted
04-20-2014, 04:54 PM
mine began as the Alaskan with the 20 inch barrel ... then because of the recoil I had Gary in town bore a muzzle break holes in it and this made her tame to a 30-06 in recoil with the 270 grain factory loads from Hornaday ... however I had the ear muff's off as I wanted to see what it would be like in a hunting situation ... I came rite home and hacksawed off that terrible noise maker of a muzzle brake and wound up with a snazzy 18 inch barrel. surprising what that 2 inch's of barrel did to the already snappy short powerful rifle. it is just as short as my 444 Marlin with its short barrel and with a bunch more pump then the 444 for the longer shots I like to practice and play with.

my personal favorite load in this snazzy shooter is 70 grains IMR 4350 under a snazzy 275 grain Accurate Mold number 380275 or the Hornaday jacketed 300 round nose ... the cast boolit would group into 1.5 to 2 inch 100 yd groups while the Hornadays will go into 1 inch minus every time I do my part with the little jewel. what a nice rifle for packing and hunting with and ...

my ... cant wait to get her back now just thinking bout it. spose ill should go load some cases for the glorious return of the rifle. got the Leopold 1 to 4X scope already mounted in the ruger rings.

High Desert Hunter
04-20-2014, 06:02 PM
I really like the 23" barrel, I have a M77MKII in 300 Win Mag, and it wears a 24" barrel, slimmer profile, but bolt throw is exactly the same. I am very, very pleased with this rifle. I do imagine that the shorter barrel on yours much be a fire breathing dragon striking fear into the hearts of man and beast!

bigted
04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
yea ... striking fear ... yepper ... I like that ... striking fear ... never thought about the fear thing. that's great ... I like that term very much ... mind if I use it sometime?

it is a hoot to carry and folks seem to miss the extra large hole and think it to be some small bore short rifle ... but wait for the shot ... the bark gives it away rite away ... have had fellers come rite down and ask what the heck im shootin after a few of those dragon breathers leave the barrel.

High Desert Hunter
04-21-2014, 02:07 PM
I'll bet they do! Mine has a bit of a bark, I'll bet your roars. Nothing like sending 300 grains of destruction downrange at 2600fps.

bigted
05-02-2014, 07:19 PM
some of my fav loads consist of 10 grains IMR 4227 ... under 90 grains GOEX 2F blackpowder. this flat out shoots those 250 grain boolits out inna hurry.

got my baby back today and had some of these black powder loads loaded with 250 grain boolit. these are just too fun.

also shot some 220 grain jacketed but they flew with 70 grains IMR 4064 and at this speed they are a flat shooting and fairly high recoil load.

well everything away so we can get packed up for the move.