PDA

View Full Version : Coming back and Hello

Bell 430
04-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Hello folks,
I've been out of casting for about 20years. The other day while cleaning out the garage I came upon some of my old equipment, which in turn started the "Bug" again. I found my old Lee electric pouring pot, with lead still in it. a couple of molds, one for 44Magnum, one for 40 S&W and one for 41Magnum, old can of flux from brownells, lee liquid alox and all three resizing dies for the above mentioned. I also found an old note book with some "Recipes". at one time I had access to a very large quantity of wheel weight lead(600lbs plus) I remember casting it in a cast iron pot using a Coleman stove. I'd mix some tin(?) bars, with a full pot of wheel weight lead, after melting,fluxing and skimming, according to the notes. So now I'm thinking of getting back to it, but I'm wondering if there's been any changes, or newer techniques?

Thanks
Brian

NewbieDave007
04-18-2014, 03:54 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?110213-From-Ingot-to-Target-A-Cast-Bullet-Guide-for-Handgunners

Welcome Brian.

I'm relatively new to this but you might want to take a look at the link above. Download the PDF and start reading.

There are some other great reading material but this one is free and helped answer a lot of questions for me.

Good luck and welcome.

Dave

mold maker
04-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Your re-entering a dangerous addition, but Welcome back.
Your going to find wheel weights a lot harder to get, and the new choice in flux, is rich pine sawdust. Other than that, and a lot of new molds, it's pretty much unchanged.

ghh3rd
04-19-2014, 11:50 PM
What took you so long to come back? Welcome!

gray wolf
04-29-2014, 03:51 PM
DID you light a fire under that pot yet ??

psmokey
05-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Brian dust them off. Pour them up. send them down range. You'll be hooked again. Thanks dave for that link I've been looking for it for my son. phil

NewbieDave007
05-01-2014, 01:16 AM
No worries. Glad I could help.