View Full Version : Lyman All American new setup

Groovy
04-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Just got this off the bay last week. Strangely enough I just stopped by this site to get some info on cast bullets due to the rising cost of reloading components. I haven't reloaded since 2005. I have my bench in storage and had sold my old press in 2005. I am not ready to start casting yet so I am going to try some bullets from Dardas and Missouri Bullet Company based on the recommendations I've read here. Thank you for the information and most likely new hobby with casting.
What I need to do now is try different bullets in my needed calibers,9mm, 45ACP, & .308 to find what shoots best before I invest in molds and casting equipment. I'll keep reading here as this seems to be the most recommended website for bullet casting info. I still need to find Lyman J shell holders in #12 & #26.

starmac
04-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Watch the swapping and selling section for your shell holders, they come up now and then.

I don't know if you can post in the want to buy section of swap and sell yet, but I have had good luck finding some not so popular stuff using it.

44Vaquero
04-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Congratulations! I watched this one as it came-up on E-Bay. It's good to know it found a home with a new Castboolits member. The All-American Turret is a fantastic little bench-top press with a #55 on-top it makes for a great set up.

Green Frog
04-18-2014, 04:14 PM
The J-type shell holders show up fairly regularly, but if you're too impatient to wait, Lyman still sells the conversion items to let you substitute "standard" modern shell holders. You will need the adaptor and large and small "Special-T" primer seating punches. I'm not sure that priming arm will work with the conversion or whether you will need to single feed the primers. Some loaders complain that you lose about 3/16" of throw between the turret and the shell holder, but the AA has so much room there you should have no problem with any but the longest cartridges.

I have an earlier version of the same press, just like yours but with one of the die holes having a larger diameter for shotshell reloading and a bushing included to use standard dies. Mine is also set up with Lyman's special die that bells pistol case mouths and drops powder at one station. I've got a couple of #55 powder measures like yours but I've set my press up semi-permanently for 327 Federal Mag and am using an Accumeasure so I can use fixed rotors and change my charges quickly and consistently. I love that press and the more I use it, the more quickly and smoothly it seems to operate for me. I hope yours does as well for you.

Regards,
Froggie

seagiant
04-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Hi,
If you can't find the info you need here,IT DOES NOT EXIST!!! Welcome to the Asylum!

Groovy
04-18-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm glad I got this one as there is another one with #55 measure that is already up to $275.00 with 2 more days to go. I am watching the swapping and selling section for shell holders. I read somewhere here that the 310 Shop has J type shell holders and I'm going to email them and see if they have the ones that I need.

dragonrider
04-18-2014, 08:21 PM
My Lyman AA has a permanent place on my bench and is where most of my reloading is done.

Sea Giant, I think I saw that movie. :grin:

LUBEDUDE
04-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Very nice specimen there Groovy.

They can be hard to find with complete primer systems.

BruceB
04-19-2014, 03:40 AM
I'm a huge fan of the All-American turret press. I bought mine around 1967 and it has labored INTENSIVELY for me ever since that date.

However, I do NOT trust the priming system due to what I believe are valid safety issues, and I stopped using it decades ago.

1. The feed uses a hand-operated and SPRING-LOADED plunger. If one loses his grip on that plunger when feeding the new primer into the priming post, the plunger SLAMS back to the loaded primer tube at high speed.... a tailor-made situation for triggering an explosion.

2. If there IS a primer explosion involving that primer tube, it is made of very thin brass and offers virtually no protection to the operator, whose face is in close proximity to the tube.

I suspect that a steel tube could be welded or brazed to the upper of the two adjusting nuts on the feeder, which are used to set the height of the primer tube for proper feeding into the spring-loaded "shuttle" that carries the new primer to the priming post. Such a steel tube would greatly reduce the hazards to the operator.

I had actually intended to try this, but found that single-feeding by hand was so easy and quick that I didn't think it was necessary.

My A-A press has surely loaded well into the hundreds of thousands of rounds now, and shows no signs of wear beyond possibly running a tad smoother than it did when new. GREAT machine.

jhrosier
04-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Any idea roughly how much an All American with the primer feed and a couple shell holders is worth?

Jack

BruceB
04-19-2014, 11:04 AM
In excellent condition with a few shell-holders.... I'd happily pay $125-$150 for an A-A.

As detailed above, I don't think much of the priming system. Others may differ.

LUBEDUDE
04-19-2014, 03:33 PM
I agree with Bruce wholeheartedly on the primer issue. I only like to have the Primer Assembly to complete my press from a collector's standpoint, though I use my AA press as well. In fact, my priming components are still in the box. I haven't used the primer system on my Press for reasons mentioned by Bruce.

Green Frog
04-19-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm in the same mode as LUBEDUDE and BruceB in that I don't use the priming setup on my AA, but for a different reason. I like to use one of my hand priming tools to do the job, so I batch load by first sizing and decapping the whole lot and throwing them into a bin. Then I sit at the kitchen table and watch TV as I prime them with one of my hand tools. Then when it's time to actually load a box or two, it's back to the bench and the AA to bell each case and fill with powder (one station) and place the filled cases in a loading tray and inspect the whole batch one last time. Finally, I start a bullet in each case and use the next station to both seat and crimp the finished round. I have a Lee FCD in the 4th station, but to be honest I have yet to use or feel the need for it. Everyone has their own routine, but for my AA and loading 327 Fed Mag, this is mine. BTW, did I mention that I'm crazy enough to use separate presses and try to keep them set up for each of the various calibers I load for? :wink:

Froggie

Groovy
04-19-2014, 10:05 PM
I have an old Lachmiller bench top unit for priming but I'm looking for a handheld to replace my broken Lee auto prime.

LUBEDUDE
04-20-2014, 04:03 AM
Like Green Frog, I don't believe in changing dies either. Which is why I love 12 station Hollywoods.

However, I do use them and my AA as designed, as a Turret, not for batch Single Stage loading. I just single feed the primer post which is not bad at all.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-20-2014, 11:49 AM
I love my Lyman AA. It is permanantly set up for 500 SW. I also do not use the priming system on the press.

salpal48
04-20-2014, 02:25 PM
I have been using my Lyman AA's since the 1960"s . all with the push buttom Primer. Not once was there a problem. If There set correctly they are 98% flawless . If one drops it's generally my fault. I really do not believe anything about primer explosion on old machines. I am always looking to buy Parts for them. If any one has any to sell let me Know
I have had more primer problems with the Lee and dillon .
Sal

BruceB
04-20-2014, 02:51 PM
. I really do not believe anything about primer explosion on old machines.
Sal

I will just cite Colonel Cooper once again:

"The law of averages is faint comfort..... if YOU are the exception."

This is called "risk management". I (and apparently some others on this thread) choose NOT to continue using what we see as a possible hazard.

You are certainly free to do as you see fit.

There ARE documented cases of primer explosions in loading presses, whether you "believe" in them or not. They don't always occur on "old machines", either.

"Some have to pee on the electric fence to find out for themselves."

Groovy
04-20-2014, 03:42 PM
I liked the fact that the press came with all the original equipment and a Lyman 55, but based on what I have read I think I'll stick to loading primers off the press. I have gotten some good ideas about loading and casting lead bullets but it's not just this forum that advises against using old primer tube systems or to only put 10 to 20 primers in the tube at one time.

psychicrhino
04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Welcome. Nice find.

dverna
04-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Nice press. PM sent

Don Verna

Groovy
04-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I like the J shell holders but I don't like the Lyman J to X adapter. It seems thinner and doesn't fit too tightly.

Bullshop
04-24-2014, 04:46 PM
So the shell holder adapter for standard shell holders is still available from Lyman?

44Vaquero
04-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Bullshop;

Yes it is! http://www.midwayusa.com/product/758282/lyman-shellholder-adapter-j-type-shellholder-ram-to-x-type-ram-conversion?cm_vc=ProductFinding $15.29

Groovy
04-25-2014, 01:14 PM
I contacted the 310 shop last week about J type shell holders but I haven't herd back from them so I'll keep looking here and e__y until I find the right ones. The Lyman can be used but is a bit wobbly for me.

Bullshop
04-25-2014, 03:48 PM
44vaquero
Thank you Sir!

Green Frog
04-25-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by your references to the adaptor being "thinner" or "wobbly." I have only used one example, and that on a TruLine Jr with a Lyman X17 because at the time I couldn't find a J17 for loading 45-70s at the time. I found everything to be tight and work well except for the loss of height when the adaptor put the X holder up above its normal position. Is the shank of the adaptor too loose in the "socket" of your press, or what?

Froggie

Groovy
04-26-2014, 02:51 PM
I have a used one from e__y, it came shiny and polished for some reason. I am going to order one from Midway and see if a new one is tighter.

salpal48
04-26-2014, 05:37 PM
What #'s are you looking for . I have several dups. Pm me if your interested
Sal
I contacted the 310 shop last week about J type shell holders but I haven't herd back from them so I'll keep looking here and e__y until I find the right ones. The Lyman can be used but is a bit wobbly for me.

LAH
04-26-2014, 10:58 PM
I just single feed the primer post which is not bad at all.

Me too.

Groovy
04-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Now I think I may have to get another All American press just to keep from changing dies. I really like this press the handle feels very different from my old CH 444 but this has more leverage and easier for resizing 308 military brass.

salpal48
04-27-2014, 09:38 PM
You will find That the Lyman AA will be your go to press. I use them Set up for large and small for both pistol and rifle. I have 4 set up. after the primer system is set. It,s almost perfect.
Sal

too many things
04-27-2014, 10:32 PM
If you resize rifle brass make sure the back nut is tight against the bottom of the turret or it will wear fast. keep a good oil on the main shaft any good one is fine I like Mobile 1 but any good oil will do
If you dont find the shell holders PM me I am not sure about the 12 but do have a 26 and many others There is another that crosses the 12 but dont have it in front of me the 40 wasnt around then but a 10 works for it and 762-39 the 3 fits it and Have a bunch of them

Groovy
04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
I do have it all oiled up with Mill Comm 2500 oil. I want one set for Lg and Sm primers, (223 & 308)

BruceB
04-28-2014, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=too many things;2756468]If you resize rifle brass make sure the back nut is tight against the bottom of the turret or it will wear fast.QUOTE]

I've re-sized rifle brass (up to and including .416 Rigby) on my All-American for over fifty years.... while using it AS A TURRET PRESS.... in other words, while retaining its ability to rotate.

The support column at the rear is adjusted to MINIMAL clearance, while still allowing rotation.

The press is still tight and serviceable, with little if any wear after hundreds of thousands of rounds.

A couple thousandths of clearance at the support post will allow the turret to make contact under load, but that tiny amount of clearance does no harm whatever to either the press or the ammunition. Keep the top of the support post lubed, as well.... LIGHTLY.

Green Frog
05-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Well, as I stated before, I got a NOS primer feed assembly somewhere along the line, but never used it. At that time, I didn't even know whether I still HAD it. Anyway, while looking in one of my storage bins for something else (which I never found, of course) I found the filthy dirty box with all the parts inside, clean and brand shiny new. Now that I have actually sat down and examined it carefully I think I'll actually install it next time I'm running my AA to make a few 327 FM rounds for my Ruger and S&W. I'm going to have to see for myself whether this thing works as advertised or is simply another Rube Goldberg device that just looks good in theory.

Froggie

salpal48
05-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Once it's set it will work fine
I found staying with one manufacture of primer works the best. I only use CCI. also primer post should remain the same
Sal
Well, as I stated before, I got a NOS primer feed assembly somewhere along the line, but never used it. At that time, I didn't even know whether I still HAD it. Anyway, while looking in one of my storage bins for something else (which I never found, of course) I found the filthy dirty box with all the parts inside, clean and brand shiny new. Now that I have actually sat down and examined it carefully I think I'll actually install it next time I'm running my AA to make a few 327 FM rounds for my Ruger and S&W. I'm going to have to see for myself whether this thing works as advertised or is simply another Rube Goldberg device that just looks good in theory.

Froggie

Green Frog
05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Once it's set it will work fine
I found staying with one manufacture of primer works the best. I only use CCI. also primer post should remain the same
Sal

Unfortunately, back in my PPC shooting days I developed an aversion to those CCI primers in SP size... they were too hard to go off reliably in a lot of our "tuned" guns. I hope I can get it set to work well with Federals. :confused:

Froggie

Groovy
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I have found that my LGS only carries CCI and Win primers. I will stick with the CCI as I don't have anything that uses less than full power hammer springs.

LUBEDUDE
05-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Unfortunately, back in my PPC shooting days I developed an aversion to those CCI primers in SP size... they were too hard to go off reliably in a lot of our "tuned" guns. I hope I can get it set to work well with Federals. :confused:

Froggie

I'm with you Froggie.

I have quite the aversion to CCI myself as well.

My match guns only trust Federal.

salpal48
05-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Getting back to the Lyman AA Primer feed system. It really a matter of preference and how long you want to spend in tuning it. . some people get very frustrated when thing don't work right out of the box. I dont think there was any reloading Equip that did not have to be played with. But that the Old Time fun with this addition.
anyone remember that CH manual primer tube filler . similar to the vibra prime without the Batteries. This relied on hand manipulation. That was a challenge
Sal

Groovy
05-01-2014, 10:25 PM
I have never used Federal primers but I think that I'll do some research since quite a few people here and other sites speak highly of them. I am curious about what those of you that prefer Federal would buy as a second choice if they weren't available.

LUBEDUDE
05-02-2014, 10:18 AM
I have never used Federal primers but I think that I'll do some research since quite a few people here and other sites speak highly of them. I am curious about what those of you that prefer Federal would buy as a second choice if they weren't available.

Federal primers are known best for sure fire reliability with tuned guns which entails weaker/softer/Lower poundage springs in the gun.

Whether this due to softer primer cups or sensitivity of the primer compound, I can not say. This topic is often discussed and argued. Someone always knows a cousin of a brothers friend's wife's, father, whom has an uncle that works at the plant that relayed the information.

As a competitor, reliability is paramount. If I can't get Federals, then I will settle for Winchester or Remington.

On the flip side. Other guys can say the same about Federal, and they are diehard Winchester men. However, you hear of a lot more Winchester failures.

Bottom line: you really need to find out which works best for YOU. You may buy into mine and Froggie's views and come to find out after buying a ton of Federals that they don't load well with your equipment. It's rare, but can happen. Do your own testing. It's no big thing.

Good Luck

Groovy
05-02-2014, 07:57 PM
I need some primers so I think Ill give the Federal a try, if they're good enough for Gold Medal match ammo I guess they can't be all bad.