PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Redding T-7 and a Forster Co-Ax

AbitNutz
04-18-2014, 10:52 AM
So I took advantage of Midway's sale on the Redding T-7. It was $256.00 and free shipping. I was one that started years ago shooting tons of 45 acp and 357 mag. So I went with the Dillon 550B. I never regretted it. The Dillon is a fine machine that never gives me any problems. However, it doesn't lend itself to one-off cartridges.

Recently, I've moved into wildcat cartridges like the 300 GNR, 357 Herrett and 450 Alaskan.

What I needed was a press that I could form cases and change dies quickly. The Dillon does a lot of things well but it doesn't do that. I purchased a Forster Co-Ax and the Redding T-7. I have to tell you that these selections were perfect. I was stunned at the quality and brute power of these machines. I have a Corbin swaging press so I know about power but it is clumsy to use for reloading and it's freaking HUGE.

The ease of changing dies on the Co-Ax and its universal shell holder and the T-7's ability to flip it's turret about makes them ideal for my purposes. Since the wildcats I load are all high pressure, they can't tolerate the smallest of mistakes....and I'm not willing to chance it. I weigh every charge.

I can now see why people who start with a Redding T-7 and/or a Forster Co-Ax either stick with them or just add a progressive machine here or there. They never seem to stop using them. I just did the same process, just a bit backwards.

I can't say enough good things about these machines.

r1kk1
04-18-2014, 11:21 AM
I love my COAX. I put LNL bushings in the Ultramag and Summit. I don't have a Corbin but my Champion is my brute press. I really use my 550 and will use a single or two in conjunction to the 550 for certain work. I too do a lot of case forming.

Congrats on your purchases. Mine are mounted to Rock Docks with the exception of the 550 mounted to a Strong mount.

Take care

r1kk1

hotbrew
04-18-2014, 02:41 PM
I've found the same thing - they compliment each other nicely. I have mounted a dillon powder measure on the T-7 but take shells out for measurement / topping off for accuracy loads. I use the co-ax for trying out different things and then move them over to the T-7 or 550 once set.

hotbrew

AbitNutz
04-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Homebrew....exactly! The Co-Ax excels at testing/experimenting...then move it over to the T-7. I have decided that the 550B or likely any progressive, is really just a single caliber press that works exceptionally well at pumping out volumes of ammo. Need mass amounts of another caliber?...buy another 550/650. That's just my experience based on my semi-psychotic personality. Your mileage may vary.

bbqncigars
04-18-2014, 10:54 PM
When I want dead nutz accuracy in a load (Sharps comes to mind), it gets loaded on the CoAx. Mass multiples are produced on the LNL AP. The big stuff gets sized on the Walnut Hill and loaded on the Lee Classic Cast. The 550B is gathering dust.

jmort
04-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Two of the best of the best. Good for you.