PDA

View Full Version : Dillon's a little cheap

mrblue
04-18-2014, 09:14 AM
I got my Dillon in the mail the other day and got to finally un pack her from her tomb. I was very impressed on the care dillon takes to package them, the custom foam. All the nice plastic sealed bags with the extras.....and then I came to the meat and potatos the frame. It was thrown in a garbage bag. I just stopped and was like WTH dillon all this money and you just throw my press in a garbage bag? Really? But ovedr all Im happy just thought it was funny to see

375RUGER
04-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Foam-in-place packing, if that is what they still use, requires a barrier to prevent the foam from getting in places you don't want it. Foam is usually injected in it's own bag, but those bags can tear so it's a good idea to have a secondary barrier.

Walter Laich
04-18-2014, 10:47 AM
yep, got the same garbage bag. As it was not torn used it for old kitty litter when we change out litter boxes. Saved me one bag--counting pennies wherever I can :)

Love Life
04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
I got my Dillon in the mail the other day and got to finally un pack her from her tomb. I was very impressed on the care dillon takes to package them, the custom foam. All the nice plastic sealed bags with the extras.....and then I came to the meat and potatos the frame. It was thrown in a garbage bag. I just stopped and was like WTH dillon all this money and you just throw my press in a garbage bag? Really? But ovedr all Im happy just thought it was funny to see

You really need to clarify your post. Your Dillon frame wasn't "Thrown in a garbage bag." in the box.

Your Dillon frame was wrapped in a plastic bag where it lay encased in it's foam padding.

Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope...

Hardcast416taylor
04-18-2014, 11:43 AM
I agree that the extra bag really was a bonus to you. If you would have to scrape the injected foam off of and out of the little holes and crevices, then you would be thanking them for the step of bagging.Robert

sigep1764
04-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Dillon Precision didn't go cheap. They saw the potential for a problem to occur with the foam getting into places it shouldn't be, and they fixed it right away with what they had on hand. They did it so well the first time, they repeated it. Not gospel, just my thought.

chutestrate
04-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Wait till some of your parts begin to break. Don't get me wrong I really like my dillon 550b, but like everyone else materials are getting cheaper and weaker. I sent my 20 yr old press in for some rehab, got it back in very nice condition. I almost wish they had used my old parts. I've had 3 different parts attached to the powder system just come apart in less than a year. The metal looks like and probably is cheap pot metal. It's still a quality product, the warranty they offer is terrific, but darn it the broken parts are annoying.

True.grit
04-18-2014, 11:34 PM
I have a Dillion SD and have loaded over a million rounds with it. Had it rebuilt once about 3years ago. I was charged nothing for this at all. I bought it used and they still honor the warranty. I do not think there is anything cheap about anything that Dillion makes. I also like the mailer they send out every month.

btroj
04-18-2014, 11:46 PM
You really need to clarify your post. Your Dillon frame wasn't "Thrown in a garbage bag." in the box.

Your Dillon frame was wrapped in a plastic bag where it lay encased in it's foam padding.

Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope...

Yep.

Thrown in a bag. Wow. Some guys just don't get it.

pretzelxx
04-18-2014, 11:58 PM
I thought the bag was so the slight lubrication didn't acquire a bunch of dust before you opened the box. I know I prefer bagged new items.

Old Caster
04-19-2014, 03:08 PM
I think you should sell it and go back to Lee.

historicfirearms
04-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Darn new rope, its too itchy.

sigep1764
04-19-2014, 11:29 PM
If you decide to rebag it and place it in the trash, i want precise gps coordinates and the exact time frame you do this.

bnelson06
04-19-2014, 11:35 PM
yep, got the same garbage bag. As it was not torn used it for old kitty litter when we change out litter boxes. Saved me one bag--counting pennies wherever I can :)

I am going to tell my wife we need a few of these great litter bags you speak of :)

zuke
04-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Some people's kid's.......

Teddy (punchie)
04-20-2014, 06:46 AM
I am going to tell my wife we need a few of these great litter bags you speak of :)

My wife is not buying it. Plus she allergic to cats. Come on Guys we have to think Of a Better one for me to use. :D

novalty
04-20-2014, 06:51 AM
...and that is why I don't own a Dillon. :violin:

Digital Dan
04-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Lemme see if I got it right. One of them Dillon girls bagged your stuff and you're unhappy?

6bg6ga
04-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Years ago I would have made a comment about an amplifier that had been placed in a plastic bag and them foamed. I looked with horror on a 6K amplifier that I took out of the box until I stopped to think about their process. The amplifier had the best packing possible and had arrived without any damage. The plastic bag allows the foam to surround the item being shipped and the result is a tight fit. Generally something packed this way will withstand external damage to the box with no damage to the item packed. Cost wise its probably more expensive to foam each package rather than using a pre molded container.

blikseme300
04-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Wait till some of your parts begin to break. Don't get me wrong I really like my dillon 550b, but like everyone else materials are getting cheaper and weaker. I sent my 20 yr old press in for some rehab, got it back in very nice condition. I almost wish they had used my old parts. I've had 3 different parts attached to the powder system just come apart in less than a year. The metal looks like and probably is cheap pot metal. It's still a quality product, the warranty they offer is terrific, but darn it the broken parts are annoying.

The non-ferrous alloys used by Dillon and the other name brand manufacturers is not pot metal.

chutestrate
04-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the correction. I guess whatever they are using is better than pot metal, but it is still cheap. I had the same problem with my lee single stage. Worked great for 20 yrs, and then a part gave way. Lee replaced it for a very nominal charge. Within 150 rds the part broke again, and it looked like the same material. Again their warranty is fantastic, replaced no questions asked.

dondiego
04-21-2014, 01:03 PM
What is the composition of pot metal? Zinc?