PDA

View Full Version : Needed: mold for lead hammer head

ackleyman
04-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Does anyone make one?

Options?

Been out of casting for a while, diving back in head first!

Springfield
04-18-2014, 12:05 AM
McMaster-Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hammer-molds/=rl1q4w

zuke
04-18-2014, 08:44 AM
I have one, but you don't have were your located.

Dan Cash
04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
I don't know how hard you want to hit something but you might consider making your own hammer. I use the handle from an old, broken inertia bulet puller, a short piece of ridged 3/4 inch copper pipe and two pipe caps. Bore a hole in the middle of the pipe to fit the handle, put the caps on the ends, fill with lead and insert the handle while molten. A piece of rolled steel rod, all thread or even a longish bolt would suffice for a handle.

The copper won't mar anything and when worn out, melt and repeat.

Bullshop Junior
04-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Or you could use a appropriate sized piece of stainless steel pipe. Lube the inside, pour and push out as soon as it is cool enough to push on. Its a hammer, few wrinkles wont matter.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-18-2014, 09:53 AM
someone just posted a thread, where they made a "lead hammer mold" with copper pipe...Pictures and all.

Mk42gunner
04-18-2014, 03:12 PM
I've managed to make it this long without a lead hammer, but have thought about making one. This is how I would do it, (have I mentioned that I am cheap? I mean frugal, that's it, frugal).

I would take a short piece of 2x4 as long as you want the hammer head, drill it lengthwise with a spade bit and drill in the center of the hole for the handle. then insert the handle and pour the head. Split the 2x4 away and start using the hammer.

Robert

ackleyman
04-18-2014, 07:26 PM
I would like to thank all the forum members for their help. I am used really great lead head hammers, when I was a teen ager in the Mid 60's making $10 per 1000 for all that I cast out of Lyman 4 cavity molds. So, I am used to lead head hammers.

Been out of the casting game for a while.

Keith

imashooter2
04-18-2014, 07:38 PM
A tomato paste can makes an easy mold. Drill a hole for the handle, split the opposite side with a tin snip, cover the split with duct tape, pour, cool and peel the can off.

Blanco
04-19-2014, 08:48 AM
A tomato paste can makes an easy mold. Drill a hole for the handle, split the opposite side with a tin snip, cover the split with duct tape, pour, cool and peel the can off.

I was gonna say use a soup can.....

imashooter2
04-19-2014, 08:56 AM
I was gonna say use a soup can.....

If you want a heavy hammer, that would work fine too.

Blanco
04-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Not that I know anything about what you intend to use this hammer for, but I have and use a hammer with a leather head. It has about 1 1/2" diameter face. The back end is wedge shaped. I use it for most of my smitherin work where I don't want to scratch or ding something. It is a bit light especially in comparison to a lead hammer.
I realize that you may be using it for something entirely differenter. If so ... carry on

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
04-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Casting with my homemade lead hammer mold

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?25798-Casting-with-my-homemade-lead-hammer-mold&highlight=casting+homemade+lead+hammer+mold

beezapilot
04-19-2014, 01:24 PM
I have a mould that is missing the handle- and I'd be happy to part with it- PM me if you are interested.

beezapilot
04-24-2014, 05:34 PM
No Takers??????

I've a couple of PM's - I'll be responding in order- but I'm thinking it's pretty much gone.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LUBEDUDE
04-25-2014, 10:12 PM
I bought a nice Lead Hammer from The Professor that he was making and selling here a few years back.

fguffey
04-26-2014, 05:26 PM
I have a mold for casting lead hammer heads. At one time I had an endless source for hammer heads. and then? Time started passing me by. At one time I made hammers out of 2 speed differential parts, it does not take many hammers to last a life time.

F. Guffey

Denver
04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Seems like a good use for those zinc wheel weights.

labradigger1
04-26-2014, 08:16 PM
I have an old cook hammer mold but it casts a heavy head (they're lead ya know). How heavy a head are you looking for?
lab

Dale in Louisiana
04-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Just for general info, for a few uses, you can cut your mould out of wood. many of us have more woodworking capabilities than we do metalworking. Simply cut your cavity into a couple of 2x4 chunks held together with a clamp, pour, then as soon as the lead hardens, pop the clamp and dump out your casting.

Couple of caveats: Make sure you use dry wood. these castings are probably larger than many are used to dealing with, so give them a little extra time to solidify and be aware that they stay hot a LOT longer.

We used to cast fishing weights (if you know what a trotline is, you'll understand) using those conical paper cups and a sand box. Using a piece os stripped #12 copper wire poked through the point of the cup to provide a means of attaching the weight, push the cup and wire into the sand, then pour lead into the cup. After it hardens and cools, you have a complete weight. You can twist the wire into an eye to tie to, and to vary weight, just change the amount of fill when you pour the cup.

Further, you can cast strip weights in sand simply by dragging a finger in the sand to make a groove, then pouring the lead. Damp sand holds its shape amazingly well for this. Remember, sand-casting is a common casting method in industry.

dale in Louisiana