PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here in power industry and/or live in central georgia?

silverado
04-17-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm looking to get out of the navy next year and am eying plant hatch in baxley ga. Anybody from the area or work in ga in the power industry for ga southern?

Hogtamer
04-18-2014, 07:55 AM
several good friends work at plant vogtle near augusta. ga power seems to take care of their people pretty well. working the "outages" calls for long hours though. heat and humidity are staples in ga for 6 months out of the year. ample game, liberal hunting seasons and a gun friendly traditional values culture are a given if you move here.

Dale in Louisiana
04-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks for serving.

You've made a good choice for a career path. Power generation is an interesting field.

What craft are you pursuing?

dale in Louisiana
(electrical power guy)

silverado
04-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Nuclear power operator or maintenance. Either path is fine for me. I believe operator path pays more though.

polara426sh
04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't know anyone at Hatch, but one of the guys I used to work with up here is now an RO at Vogtle. He seems to like it much better down there.

Dale in Louisiana
04-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Nuclear power operator or maintenance. Either path is fine for me. I believe operator path pays more though.

It isn't nuclear and it isn't a powerplant, but several industries in Southwest Louisiana are going to be looking for ALL crafts/trades/disciplines in the next few years. The natural gas boom is making a lot of companies build liquifaction plants to turn US natural gas into liquid to ship to overseas clients, and Sasol is building ten billion dollars worth of new petrochem facilities. They're already looking at plant staff.

dale in Louisiana

doc1876
04-20-2014, 11:09 AM
My son who is stationed right now in Germany, has a house near Augusta. I know he did not sell due to the market, but I also know that they love Ga. I think you will be happy there

silverado
04-20-2014, 12:17 PM
I'm from Georgia originally and plant hatch is about 3 hours from my parents place. I'm hoping to get a few acres so I can plant veggies and some fruit trees, maybe have some chickens and rabbits.