PDA

View Full Version : any ideas on tin content of this solder?

BK7saum
04-17-2014, 11:09 AM
I dropped off some aluminum at the scrap yard and checked the lead barrel.just in case. There was quite a bit of pipe and a few bars of solder on top. One bar of solder is marked WARDS MASTER. The other bars are GLASER LEAD CO INC 15 BODY SOLDER.

Just curious if the solder was 15% or if anyone knew. A quick Google search didn't turn up anything for me.

Thanks, Brad

BTW lead is 75 cents a pound and this 8 lbs cost $6 even. I didn't think that was too bad.

RogerDat
04-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Body solder lead can be 30% tin 70% lead. Superior, or the 15% tin is also common

BK7saum
04-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks, I usually buy known solder, but for scrap lead price I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I'll probably add some to my next 100lb batch of 50/50 PB/ww.

Brad

RogerDat
04-18-2014, 12:44 AM
I think you are right, I don't pass up bar solder at the scrap yard. Maybe that Wards Master might or could be Montgomery Wards, They sold solder, I have a roll of it. And they sold large heavy duty solder irons such as one would use for sheet metal work. Just a guess nothing solid beyond what I mention to base it on.

BK7saum
04-18-2014, 08:59 AM
RogerDat,

Yesterday was a pretty good day. After posting about the bar solder I drove by a demo site where they were taking down an old house. Asked about lead drain pipe but they didn't have any. However one guy said he had some at his place up the street. We went and all he could find was one drain with three solder joints. Told me I could just have it. It weighed about 10 lbs.

Should've bought a littoral ticket too, I guess.

Brad