PDA

View Full Version : Metal preservative

fastfire
04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
I have herd of a material that you can put with metal for long tern storage that protects from rust.
I think it's the same as the plastic bags that you can store firearms in.
What is this stuff called and where can I get it?

nicholst55
04-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Vapor Phase Inhibitor (VPI); Midway and Brownells sell Rust-Blox vapor tabs (midway calls them Tipton Rust Inhibitor Chips) that contain this; Brownells also sells VPI-treated paper that they call Gunwrap Paper. If you need huge quantities of either item, I'd call Brownells and ask for the manufacturer's contact info. You can also find the VPI-treated paper and tabs by running a web search.

schutzen
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
What about poor man's cosmoline; axel grease cut with diesel fuel? If it is an application where who can store the item/items in a container to protect everything else from the coating, it works fine. In open air it will dry down to a more tacky, grease like substance. The only down side is it takes some time to clean it off when you are ready to use the metal. It does work well on plow shares and disc blades. Yes, Grandpa and Dad were tight! We coated the scoured shares and blades every year before they were stored.

Bad Water Bill
04-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Well I used RIG back in 1976 and finally took the firearms out of the safe area around 2000 and there was not one spot of rust anywhere.

And I live right next to Lake Michigan.

I have been told the steel mills but the stuff by the 55 gal drum.

BDJ
04-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Zerust --- I use this in my Musky lure tackle boxes. Been using it for something like five years, works great so far.

http://www.zerustproducts.com/PDF/Firearms-ProtectionBrochure.pdf

oneokie
04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Always heard it called VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) Check www.uline.com/

762 shooter
04-17-2014, 05:23 PM
RIG beat out all the others 45 years ago. Still going strong.

fastfire
04-17-2014, 06:15 PM
What is RIG?

44Vaquero
04-17-2014, 06:36 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/rig This should answer that question!

Bad Water Bill
04-17-2014, 06:52 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/rig This should answer that question!

That is the real stuff.

Now get a piece of sheepskin with the wool sheared down to 1/2 inch and work the "RIG" well into the wool and one bottle will last a very loooong time.:bigsmyl2:

M-Tecs
04-17-2014, 07:17 PM
What is RIG?

Rust inhibiting grease

fastfire
04-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Thanks

fryboy
04-17-2014, 07:50 PM
there's always lee's liquid alox .... :kidding: but seriously if you're doing nothing else with it .... lolz

uscra112
04-18-2014, 02:16 AM
I've still got over 3/4 of a pint can of RIG. That's how much (or little) I've used in 20 years, and I preserve a lot of old guns. I also like linseed oil on outer surfaces. Might try a 50-50 mix of linseed and Alox. (Wasn't Alox intended as a preservative anyway?) But for bores I'll always use RIG, because it's do easy to wipe out.

Lee
04-18-2014, 03:29 AM
Ya got me scratching! I went on line and googled. Several sources pop up, including a thread from THR in 2008 stating it was obsolete and no longer to be made. Guess that's why I don't take THR....
So, guess who was (in my limited search) cheapest? Why MIDWAY, of course. $11 and some odd cents, for 12oz. tub.. Put one in the cart, hit the shipping button, and Ole' Larry comes back with a $3 special handling charge. AND A $19.49 SHIPPING CHARGE, UPS Ground. No options.
Somebody shoots themself in the foot like that should not be allowed to handle guns. And yeah, it's not his fault that UPS charges that (if they do?!) but that does not change the fact$..... Can you say Amazon? $17.99 to my door. Less than the Misway/ups shipping charge.
Consumers beware! Sheeeesssshhhh!!!

gmsharps
04-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Well I used RIG back in 1976 and finally took the firearms out of the safe area around 2000 and there was not one spot of rust anywhere.

And I live right next to Lake Michigan.

I have been told the steel mills but the stuff by the 55 gal drum.

I coated with RIG, guns in my gunsafe in 2002. The selonid in the electronic lock went bad and I did not have it drilled until 2013. No rust at all and it was also like a family reunion with old friends.

gmsharps

Lee
04-18-2014, 03:45 AM
Thanks! I needed that. Now I'm done ranting, here is what I also found;

Of several visited sites, I did not see ONE bad review or comment for RIG. Every last one was superlative in their descriptions of this stuff. (Either that, or they drink the pink KoolAid) I don't know, and won't know, until I get mine, whether this stuff is any better than the generic red grease you can get at the local auto store. But all the comments seem to indicate that this stuff has done its' homework, and actually does what it claims to do. (Talking 30 year stored safe queens looking like the day they were put to sleep...etc.).......sounds like a quality product. Check back in 30 years, I'll let you know.......[smilie=1:

Bad Water Bill
04-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Midway punishes you with a HEAVY surcharge, as you just saw, if you order less than a given $ amount.

IIRC when they did their major expansion they provided space for loading everything directly onto a U P S truck as the package is sealed.

This was supposed to provide cheaper,faster shipping.

USPS flat rate generally would be better if they offered it.

I bet the kickback from U P S is enough to provide Mr Potterfield with a great trip to Africa every year.

Big Rack
04-18-2014, 11:06 AM
The article on THR was correct at the time. I recall they did stop making it but started back up again

OBIII
04-18-2014, 11:45 AM
If you can afford it, think gold plating. Just think of the investment possibilities. :kidding:

OB

fastfire
04-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I ordered a 12oz can here for 19.95 with shipping, http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/385/1/RIG-12

762 shooter
04-18-2014, 01:20 PM
That is the real stuff.

Now get a piece of sheepskin with the wool sheared down to 1/2 inch and work the "RIG" well into the wool and one bottle will last a very loooong time.:bigsmyl2:

BWB knows.

I bought my first and only 4 ounce jar of RIG in 1972. I was having rust problems with all my steel firearms. Coast of South Carolina. I just looked at that jar and it is half full/empty. I will try something else when RIG doesn't deliver.

I guess I'll past it on to my son.

Bad Water Bill
04-18-2014, 01:38 PM
HE-HE

When my son moved out 3 years ago I gave him the 1/3 jar full.

He likes OLD things including bottles.

He will also inherit my new bottle and the 30+ year old sheepskin pad used for applying the RIG.

shooter2
04-18-2014, 03:02 PM
RUST PREVENTIVE No. 2™

Available from Brownells

nicholst55
04-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Always heard it called VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) Check www.uline.com/

VPI/VCI, same thing. This is the stuff that the military has used to replace cosmoline. It is used for long-term storage of ferrous metals including firearms and repair parts (although there are versions made for nonferrous metals, as well as a combination of ferrous and nonferrous). The huge advantage over cosmoline is that you don't have to remove the stuff before placing the item into service. Just unwrap it and use it.

One disadvantage to RIG is that if there is corrosion (read: rust) already started on the piece of steel, you have to STOP it before applying RIG or the rust will continue underneath the grease. AMHIK.

Monttexan
04-20-2014, 12:26 AM
Another vote for RIG. It's what my dad taught me to use when I was a kid. He still has the can he bought in the early 70's. Uses it in his business too. I bought a small (1 oz.) can in the early 90's and had used about a fourth of it before I gave it away after buying myself a big can. I got my hands on a large chunk of sheepskin around the time I bought the small can and cut my own "RIG rags" out of it including cutting the length of the wool down to an appropriate length. I've given away about a dozen of those over the years too. Wouldn't use anything else to protect our firearms. Buy a can and it will last a lifetime.

Petrol & Powder
04-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Another vote for RIG. I use it in place of oil for long term storage. I've also used airtight metal containers (ammo cans, new paint cans, etc.) with a piece of oiled cardboard in the bottom of the can. Use something a little more volatile on the cardboard such as Kroil, Ballistol or Clenzoil and RIG on the actual item you're protecting.
While we're talking oil, Clenzoil is one of those great products that seems to suffer from a lack of nationwide distribution. If you can find it and have never used it; give it a try. Clenzoil totally replaced Breakfree on my bench.
Ballistol is useful if you need to quickly protect wood/leather/metal combinations for short term storage, like say an old rifle with a leather sling. Ballistol is safer for wood & leather. Clenzoil is a good cleaner, lubricant, protector (like Breakfree, but better) and RIG is THE choice for long term storage.
Just my $.02

jonp
04-20-2014, 03:28 PM
I use ballistol for short term on the firearms I handle frequently and have not had a problem. For over winter storage I clean thoroughly and coat with rem oil both rubbed with a rag outside and with a patch down the bore. I don't store firearms longer than that without using them.
I am trying coating the bore on one with kroil to see how it does. So far so good

M-Tecs
04-20-2014, 03:34 PM
For other than BP I have long since dumped Ballistol for EEZOX http://eezox.com/gun-care.html

Eezox is a very impressive product.

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Frog Lube is appears to work well also. http://froglube.com/

More testing required for Frog Lube before it replaces EEZOX for me but I am really liking it so far.

hiram1
04-20-2014, 06:45 PM
KANO Laboratories

www.kanolabs.com/‎
has some good stuf for that

fastfire
04-20-2014, 07:24 PM
KANO Laboratories

www.kanolabs.com/‎
has some good stuf for that

The webpage cannot be found

Petrol & Powder
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
I think everyone has their own "pet" gun oil/grease. Anything that forms a barrier on ferrous metals to keep water & oxygen away from the surface will prevent rust. Anything that forms a film that prevents metal on metal contact will reduce wear. The key is for how long. Some products have a volatile carrier that quickly evaporates and leaves the surface unprotected. Some products will harden and oxidize with age. Both processes reduce the long term effectiveness of the oil or grease.
I'm certain that there are other products, including simple wheel bearing grease, that will prevent rust. I've just learned to trust RIG.

We could start an entire new thread (or several) talking about this lubricate, that cleaner, this preservative, etc.

For gun relied upon for defense, I want a light oil that will work even when cold. I like Clenzoil but there are plenty that work just as well. Wear is not an issue when it only has to work with absolute reliability for a few rounds.
For range use and high volume practice, particularly in hot weather; I may opt for something that protects sliding surfaces better, like lubriplate or one of the specialty gun oils.
For long term storage, especially in humid conditions, I prefer something well proven. For me, RIG is the trusted long term storage solution. I'm not claiming it's the only one or even the best; it's just the one I use.

M-Tecs
04-21-2014, 12:06 AM
http://www.kanolabs.com/

Great penetrating oil and can be used as a bore cleaner. Seems to penetrate under leading but it’s not in the same league as EEZOX for rust prevention.

Bad Water Bill
04-21-2014, 01:09 AM
I do not know about rust prevention but after totally working over a 1981 V W rabbit and never stripping a bolt,nut or screw head I will never be without KROIL.

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Kroil is great stuff, and it smells good! (well at least I think it smells good)
It works well as a bore cleaner and is a great penetrating oil.

alamogunr
04-21-2014, 11:49 AM
That is the real stuff.

Bill, When I bought a can of RIG, I also bought the sheepskin "Universal Grease Applicator" too. It came fully impregnated with RIG. I've had it for at least 3 years and haven't had to add more RIG yet.

country gent
04-21-2014, 12:06 PM
I have used rig grease with great results over many years. Kroil works short term and as a penatrant,cleaner. Ive never tried it long term. We also had a product at work for parts to be stored long term in the crib called vanishing oil, you applied it with a rag or brush let parts set for an hour or so and were dry to touch yet parts could set for a long time with put rusting corrosion appearing. One problem with the thinner oils is they slowly run and leave parts under protected with time. Rig grease stays put even in a thin coat and dosnt migrate very fast.

wch
04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Vapor barriers and vapor collectors eventually prevent or absorb all of the moisture that they're capable of and have to be replaced or rejuvenated.
RIG and cosmoline do not ever "give up the ghost" and are good until you remove the stuff.

alamogunr
04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Desiccants absorb moisture. You can make it yourself from crystal cat litter. At least that is what one web site I found said. I use it in my safes. Just make packets from coffee filters and staple closed.

Supposedly, you can rejuvenate it by putting it in the oven at about 150-175 degrees. I bought a bucket of the stuff at a pet store that was on sale. Only one they had left. They had changed from a bucket(16#) to a bag(12#) and the 12# bag cost more. Since it was so cheap, I don't bother to cook it back to usefulness. Plus, when it's gone, I've got a bucket to store brass.

I use it as "suspenders" in addition to the heat rod "belt" in the safe and applied rust preventives on the guns.