PDA

View Full Version : RCBS -30-06 FLS die ? what is it?

Willyp
04-17-2014, 07:02 AM
I just come up with a set of RCBS-30-06 FLS and seater dies. I don't know what type these are,never seen them before.
The FLS die doesn't have the threaded stem,as do my others? I t is held in like the LEE dies,with a pinch style nut. Any idea on how old or what this die is? Is just an old style die?

nagantguy
04-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Some pics would make identifying these dies much quicker an easier.

Willyp
04-17-2014, 07:42 AM
I've given up on trying to post pics,i am an old man and things just don't work for me,most of the time!!!!!!!!!
The die is stamped--30-06 FL.Q

s mac
04-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Full length sizing die.

Bullshop
04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
I think the current Hornady new demention dies use the same collet system to hold the decapping rod. This system is good and bad. Good because if you mess up and have the rod extended too far down in the die and contacts the bottom of a case before the press ram is at the top of the stroke instead of crumpling the rod it will just be pushed up and out of the way, GOOD.
Bad because adjusting the position of the rod in the die is a major pain. It requires a wrench to tighten the collet nut and usually several tries to get it tight enough that it wont move when decapping.
RCBS went to this system for a time some years ago but apparently felt the threaded rod with lock nut was better so went back. The offered replacement rod assemblies to anyone that has the collet type decap system.

Willyp
04-17-2014, 10:36 AM
THANK YOU SIR BULLSHOP!
That is the info i was looking for.
I thougt i may got a counterfit set of dies???????????

Bullshop
04-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Sir Bullshop!!!
Have I been Knighted? Have I been transitioned from nut to knight? I vow to serve my knighthood to the best of my ability. Please forgive me if at times some of the nut still shows through.

Willyp
04-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Bullshop,I emailed them to see if they would still offer a replacement set up.
Thanks again for the info.

Guesser
04-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Last century when Lee brought out their RGB down priced dies RCBS tried to compete. RCBS was part of Blount Ind. then and Blount had heartburn with everything Lee did. The down scale RCBS dies are what you are describing and they were packaged cheaply in a blister pack instead of the hard box. Lee brought out their little safety scale in several colors so it would match your main color scheme, Dillon blue, RCBS green, Lyman orange, etc. Blount filed suit against Lee for using "their color. That soured me on anything Blount had and I refused to buy anything Blount for a long time. Now Blount is gone. Our industry is too small for that kind of sour attitude; IMO!!!

nicholst55
04-17-2014, 11:50 AM
I have a set of dies like this in 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser. As stated above, they were RCBS's attempt at a budget line of dies, and they didn't last very long.

lead-1
04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
As gasser said, just a month or two back I called about a stripped decapper rod where the sizer button screwed on and they said they don't make those dies anymore and sent me the new parts to make them current. No charge of course.

EDG
04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Those are the RCBS Reloader Special dies.