PDA

View Full Version : Home made auto-sizer.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gremlin460
04-17-2014, 04:44 AM
I finished this a few weeks ago to help with resizing, doing one at a time was driving me NUTS, worse than I normaly am.

I have pictures of components and could make a video of it working if anyone is interested..

I was going to automate it, but its that easy and fast to use manually I have decided not to bother, I will however add a boolit feeder to it in the near future.

http://s881.photobucket.com/user/Gremlin460/media/DSC_00431_zps85382eb2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

Any Cal.
04-17-2014, 05:55 AM
I like the trick for feeding cases. The feeder would definitely help it out, especially if it got a motor drive too... :-) Nice display of ambition!

beezapilot
04-17-2014, 06:05 AM
Nice work!

6bg6ga
04-17-2014, 06:22 AM
A nice piece of work.

jmorris
04-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Yep, we need more pics and a video or two.

Here is a video of my homade auto sizer.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/th_VID_20131008_114903_441_zpsdb21a12f.jpg (http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/VID_20131008_114903_441_zpsdb21a12f.mp4)

The feed is pretty simple like a child's gum ball machine. The rotating drum bullet flipper is so I could use the same collator (made from 6" PVC pipe) on the loading machine.

Just Duke
04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Amazing!

shooter93
04-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Well...the question is....why haven't you made one for me????????????

Gremlin460
04-17-2014, 10:06 PM
I could make a few I suppose, Id like to do something like that to offset the cost of a boolit feeder, being a semi-pensioner its hard buying "extras".
Time is something I get a fair bit of, just never thought anyone would be really interested to tell you the truth.

Gremlin460
04-17-2014, 10:11 PM
I like the trick for feeding cases. The feeder would definitely help it out, especially if it got a motor drive too... :-) Nice display of ambition!

Thank you. I was going to motorize it, and it could be easily done, but after using it and finding that it does 25 resizes in 30 seconds or less, I figured the nessesity of motorizing it was not a priority.
If I fit this thing with a nose down boolit feeder, either from AA Alpha or a home made one, 100 sizes a couple of minutes would be easily obtained. So is it really nessesary to mechanize it after all?

Any Cal.
04-18-2014, 02:07 AM
The problem is that it can only size as fast as you can fill the feeder tube, as that is the bottleneck. Get a fast way to fill the feeder tube and then pulling the lever will be the bottleneck. It doesn't have to be motorized, but without one you would have to pedal and pull the lever.:kidding:

Liked your brass tumbler too...

Is that a carb building bench?

Gremlin460
04-18-2014, 04:20 AM
The problem is that it can only size as fast as you can fill the feeder tube, as that is the bottleneck. Get a fast way to fill the feeder tube and then pulling the lever will be the bottleneck. It doesn't have to be motorized, but without one you would have to pedal and pull the lever.:kidding:

Liked your brass tumbler too...

Is that a carb building bench?

Yessir, I have been specializing in carb rebuilding since 1982, prior to that I built performance engines and did engine conversions. Now carbs are starting to thin out on the street and are mainly used by enthusiasts. I close my workshop after a near fatal car crash, no my fault btw, due to nerve damage in the right hip. I still build carbs, and inspect vehicles for the DofT , but have a fair bit of time for fiddling with stuff, which is how the sizer, case collator and other projects came to be..

I will eventually get a bullet feeder for this thing, swinging the lever is easy and it punches them out as fast as your arm moves, I only size what I am going to load for the weekly visit to the range , so about 5-800 in any given week..

SSGOldfart
04-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Nice your headed down the right path videos are needed:-)

RED333
04-18-2014, 10:34 PM
So I was looking at the pics, that has to be the most expensive "tumbler" I have ever seen! LOL

Gremlin460
04-20-2014, 03:29 AM
So I was looking at the pics, that has to be the most expensive "tumbler" I have ever seen! LOL

I am just lucky its slowest speed is 50RPM, some lathes wont go that slow...

Gremlin460
04-22-2014, 02:14 AM
here is a poorly shot vid... it was shortened somewhat when uploaded.. but there is enough to give you an idea

http://s881.photobucket.com/user/Gremlin460/media/MOV_0001_zps93566aa9.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

danomano
04-22-2014, 09:42 AM
I like it!!!! I might have to "borrow" some ideas.

Stephen Cohen
04-22-2014, 10:17 AM
That is brilliant Grem. I bet the gran kids would love to help you with that, one feeding and other operating it.

CastingFool
04-22-2014, 11:05 AM
I clicked on both links, although they opened, there was nothing there to see. Do I have to be a member of photobucket?

Gremlin460
04-22-2014, 08:01 PM
I clicked on both links, although they opened, there was nothing there to see. Do I have to be a member of photobucket?

Not that I am aware of, I have been asked if I would be willing to supply this in "kit" form. I certainly can do that, it would be lighter than the model in the video, because I just grabbed what was "handy" around the place. Due to the fact that I make the pin on the lathe, that would mean it would only suit a Lee press. Unless someone sent me a more common (stateside) press to convert.

Question is, whats it worth?. I cant answer that, you guys would need to.

pretzelxx
04-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Time is money, that saves a lot of time. Saves a lot of money. Think of the Dillon super swage 600 vs another brand of swage dies. Its simple, fast and it works very well for two and a half times the price. Your design on a lot of presses will save tons of man hours. I hope you plan to sell kits or plans for this item, I'll be in line.

Gremlin460
04-23-2014, 09:14 PM
I shall source material and find a cost for making these in a kit form, will reduce weight without affecting strength or reliabilty.
Please bear in mind that these are hand built, not chinesse stamped and therefore probably over engineered to hell and back.
open to thoughts on what a FAIR price would be for the kit... not here to make my fortune.
Mike.
PS.
Any I make will have a few additions such as nuts tack welded to the upright to allow for several assortments of sizing dies to be stored close at hand.

pretzelxx
04-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Cost plus shipping and whatever you feel you deserve. As more are assembled and sold, price can go down due to expedited assembly and alterations made for smoother operation. Or... up cause it works and you're selling them. Isn't that the American way of life? Supply and demand dictates prices.

Yes, I realize you're not in America, but you sell to use.

Gremlin460
04-24-2014, 07:54 PM
If I re-design a few bits I can get the footprint down near 50%. I can also shrink the main post in size aswell, all will result in a lighter unit and a saving of a few bucks in freight.

I will contact post office and ask for their weight brackets, 1 -2 -3 pound or whatever , this will give me a target to aim for. I don't think I will reduce the material by much, as it is, you can drop this on the floor, pick it up and it still works and is in one piece, that's worth more than a few grams in weight saving IMHO.

Any Cal.
04-25-2014, 01:41 AM
If it weighs close to 2lbs you may want to go to a flat rate box, where the weight doesn't matter.

Gremlin460
04-26-2014, 06:20 AM
If I could stop using the darn thing for 5 mins I would weigh it LOL

Finster101
04-26-2014, 06:35 AM
Can you change the dies for different sizes easily?

Redwoode
04-26-2014, 08:09 AM
My understanding is he's using the standard sizing die and bullet drive pin from the Lee Lube & Sizing Kit. < $20 per size/ kit in the states. The die simply threads into the "O" press frame with locking nut. Bullet drive pin connects to press ram where shell holder goes. Easy, effective and reasonably priced sizing dies.

kbstenberg
04-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Just a thought. The plate that moves the bullet from the drop tube to the sizer. Make them easily interchangeable to handle different dia. Kevin
I would be interested in one.

pretzelxx
04-26-2014, 10:25 AM
All I have to say is, I want one yesterday hahaha

Gremlin460
04-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Just a thought. The plate that moves the bullet from the drop tube to the sizer. Make them easily interchangeable to handle different dia. Kevin
I would be interested in one.

Be easier to drill the hole to the largest boolit you want to size and just make little clip in inserts to reduce the hole for smaller casts...

Finster101
04-27-2014, 10:10 AM
I would definately be interested if you put this together either as a kit or finished. Please keep us posted.

James

Gremlin460
05-02-2014, 03:52 AM
Spent some time with a aluminium guy today, trying to see if there is a possablity of getting some of the sizer made out of alloy to reduce weight, not that it is all that heavy now...

If I can do this at a reasonable cost, who would be interested in one so I can source the material quantity required.
I might TIG the next lot , it gives a neater finnish. I know looks don't matter but hey, got to keep people happy..

Redwoode
05-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Prime bench space reserved for one here in Ohio.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Gremlin460
05-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Material Ordered, enough to make another 3 anyway..

pretzelxx
05-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Exciting! Can't wait to see a new model. You have to give it a name!

Gremlin460
05-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Also the Mk2 will have 2 holes in the delivery slide, one end will be drilled to suit 9mm/38 and 40 and the other end will be drilled to suit 45's.
This idea came from thinking about what Kevin said. It will be a simple case of unscrew the limit stop, slide the bar out rotate 180 deg, and slide back in and refit the stop.

I know this wont cover all calibres but it will cover a lot of the "common" ones...

Any opinions on this idea?

Redwoode
05-05-2014, 06:12 AM
I had thought of some drop in flanged bushing could change with calibers. Sounds like your idea will get it done just fine.

Finster101
05-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Been in the hospital for a few days or I would have already jumped in and said I want one, actually I think I did in a previous post but I am definitely in. Some of you guys amaze me at what you can come up with and fabricate!

James

DeanWinchester
05-06-2014, 08:14 AM
An experienced carb builder?? We could start our own country and not have a single empty field of expertise with the talent here on castboolits.

You any good with a Zenith side draft? I got one on an M151a2 I might need looked at.

Finster101
05-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Short thread drift:

Dean, I've been a master auto tech for over 30 years and I now can not tell you the last time I even touched a carb. I used to be pretty decent with them but especially in a dealership shop they are long gone. I have tools that I will never use again and that the younger guys don't even know what they are.

James

Gremlin460
05-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Short thread drift:

Dean, I've been a master auto tech for over 30 years and I now can not tell you the last time I even touched a carb. I used to be pretty decent with them but especially in a dealership shop they are long gone. I have tools that I will never use again and that the younger guys don't even know what they are.

James

At the peak of carbs I was rebuilding 25/30 per week, now I rebuild 4/8 per month. Most of them are from car enthusiasts that have a restored vehicle or a vintage vehicle. They are still around. I also get a lot from dealers and other mechanics as they just don't have a clue.
43 years I have been in the Auto trade.

Finster101
05-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Well Gremlin we have something in common then. Cars are changing so fast right now that you really have to read a lot and stay up on your training or you get left behind very quickly. Carbs and the older trannies before computer control were almost an art as well as a science to get just right, a whole lot more was done by feel. Now if it's in spec and ohms out....ship it!

Gremlin460
05-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Started on the manufacture of the extended pins today, tiz good feeling to play with the lathe. Somehow soothing watching little spirals of steel snake around.

SSGOldfart
05-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Be easier to drill the hole to the largest boolit you want to size and just make little clip in inserts to reduce the hole for smaller casts...

you mean kinda like powder or shot bushings like in a shotshell reloader might work here for bullet sizes?? So "The bullet bushings is born" what do you think Mike would that work?? Or we can just flip the feeder as you pointed out above.

SSGOldfart
05-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Spent some time with a aluminium guy today, trying to see if there is a possablity of getting some of the sizer made out of alloy to reduce weight, not that it is all that heavy now...

If I can do this at a reasonable cost, who would be interested in one so I can source the material quantity required.
I might TIG the next lot , it gives a neater finnish. I know looks don't matter but hey, got to keep people happy.. Me I'll take one or maybe two if they are reasonable cost I know your trying to reduce the shipping weight,but how bad is the shipping as is??

Humm I'm in need of one I only have one hand so this would really make my life easier, what's simple for everyone else is quite a job with one hand from a wheelchair

Gremlin460
05-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Humm I'm in need of one I only have one hand so this would really make my life easier, what's simple for everyone else is quite a job with one hand from a wheelchair

One hand operation is a breeze if you bolt it to the bench, the tube will hold 25/6 9mm at a time so there is no longer the drama of putting one at a time on the ram pin. I hated that with a passion, so much do I made this delivery device.
If you do this with only one hand, you sir deserve a medal!.

I have finished turning the press pins that you need, I made 2 I shall turn up another just in case.

I will also supply all nuts , bolts, and hex screws necessary in addition to a drill bit you will need.
There will be comprehensive drawings of how to, plus I am in the chat room on this forum nearly every evening (your time).

I made the original from steel I had laying around the shed, your will be made with new steel, also the footprint size for the original was not an issue, I am trying to condense the space requirements for yours. its not that difficult, just requires a little rethink of a few dimensions. Projected cost looks to be around $188 plus what ever the freight will be. If I can trim this more I shall do so.

Redwoode
05-11-2014, 06:44 AM
I too don't care for placing and guiding one at a time on the ram into the sizing die. I have big chunky hands so constantly trying not to take a bite out of a thumb or forefinger. Not to mention father time has robbed some feeling and dexterity in the fingertips adding to the drama.

Looking forward to seeing the MK2.

Finster101
05-11-2014, 07:07 AM
The cost seems quite reasonable to me. I would love to get one. I've gotten in on the powder coating craze and so far happy with the results. This tool would make PC even more enjoyable. I would be happy to send you funds for one so you are not shouldering all of the cost. It also sounds as if SSGOldfart has a greater need for one than most. I can't imagine how difficult that must be but determination is one heck of a thing.

James

Gremlin460
05-12-2014, 01:47 AM

The pin on the left is the pin that comes with the press, it has to be replaced with a pin like the 3 on the right (one hasent got the PFTE bush insert yet but will have)
This is the hardest bit to make. These 3 pins are for the 3 guys who have put their hand up for a AS/2 unit.
Just thought I would let you see I am making progress on them. Most materials have arrived, will make a video on how to assemble what little you need to do .
I hope you find these as usefull as I have.

Mike.

Redwoode
05-12-2014, 02:32 AM
Nice work Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to see PM regarding Lee press AS/2 is designed to operate with?

Arnell

Gremlin460
05-12-2014, 03:39 AM
Nice work Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Did you happen to see PM regarding Lee press AS/2 is designed to operate with?

Arnell

Sorry my bad, I read the PM on the computer in the house, not this one in the man cave..

Yes that's the press 90588. Due to the fact that you don't need to mod the press to any great extent, you need to drill 2 1/8th holes for a bracket, this means you could easily unbolt press turn right way up and use as a normal reloader.
Although because its so cheap, I leave mine in the AS/1 all the time and load on a XL650.

Gremlin460
05-12-2014, 03:55 AM
SSG...
I was going to motorize this, BUT, 2 issues arose..

1) IF you feed one wrong way up, it wont drop into the die properly and locks the delivery bar from returning. Don't ask me how I found that out :). However when this happens the linkages just compress the spring it has and no harm is done. Simply remove the quick release die, pop out the offending boolit, slip die back in and continue on.
IF the press was motor driven, there could be a totally different outcome, possibly ending with damage.

2) in your particular case, I would fit a Mrbullet Feeder unit to the tube. If you are sizing large amounts.
I plan to do this in the future, the MrBullet Feeder has a option to feed nose down, which means you could size several hundered without refilling the tube manually, but again if 1 does drop base first, when using the lever you get to feel the issue and can correct it no problem.

There is nothing stopping us from sourcing some acrylic tube and preloading a few, then just as you reload primers in a dillion press you can reload the sizer from the tubes.

I have thought about ways of getting around a miss feed, and it is possible, but would entail fitting the die much lower and having to manufacture longer punch pins for each and every calibre.

To me the return for effort invested do this is not worth while. I really don't mind using the lever, on the Hi-Tek coated casts I do, there is suprising little effort required. As a plus, on loading the tube manually I have a added chance of quality control over the casts , one with air pockets or ones that didn't cast correctly have another "check-point" where they can be weeded out.

SSGOldfart
05-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Yes Sir preloading tubes is a good ideal and that "feel" each time you pull the lever,I load on a Dillion 550 so I fully understand,I'm remodeling the shop this summer already started installing a lower bench so I'm working downward instead of upwards will be easier on the right shoulder and I have room for a fixed mount btw how big is the foot print so I leave enough room:redneck:?? shoot me a PM when your ready for funds
Bob

SSGOldfart
05-12-2014, 11:23 AM
One hand operation is a breeze if you bolt it to the bench, the tube will hold 25/6 9mm at a time so there is no longer the drama of putting one at a time on the ram pin. I hated that with a passion, so much do I made this delivery device.
If you do this with only one hand, you sir deserve a medal!.

I've got a couple of medals they don't do much but the don't eat anything either LOL

SSGOldfart
05-12-2014, 11:47 AM
The cost seems quite reasonable to me. I would love to get one. I've gotten in on the powder coating craze and so far happy with the results. This tool would make PC even more enjoyable. I would be happy to send you funds for one so you are not shouldering all of the cost. It also sounds as if SSGOldfart has a greater need for one than most. I can't imagine how difficult that must be but determination is one heck of a thing.

James
yes Sir determination is a heck of a thing most of it is mind control and just keep at it, I don't always do stuff like the rest of you do but I guess in the end it's the same thing just takes me longer......( I might have to stop and rest awhile and just think about it, might have to build something to make it work too????????) but I'll get their
My casting bench doesn't look that different but it operates differently then most my mentor Col. E.H. Harrison once told me" it's not what you do ,but how you do it !!!! "

pretzelxx
05-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Is there a payment plan option? haha

SSGOldfart
05-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Is there a payment plan option? haha That's up to ?Gremlin460? I think the price is right "Remember you get what you pay for ?":cbpour:

pretzelxx
05-12-2014, 03:04 PM
I sure think the price is worth it. Time is money and that saves a TON of time.

Gremlin460
05-12-2014, 07:46 PM
The foot print of the AS/1 is 200mmx400mm I made it out of a piece of 5mm plate.

The AS/2's will have a foot print of 200x200mm and be out of 4mm plate, as I warned you all at the start I always engineer way over requirements, build it once, build it to last.
You grandkids should still be able to use these LOL.

The end design keeps evolving , every morning its slightly different, because I lay awake at night thinking of how to improve it, and make sure you guys are happy with what you receive.
I want to make sure you get maximum use and value for money. That is high priority in all my work.

Gremlin460
05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Construction has started!, looks like a mini assembly line haha.

OK now to back read the forum to see that I am making enough.

Will edit to add names

1/ SSG
2/ pretzelxx
3/ redwood
4/ Finister101
5/

Please let me know if I have missed or included people from this list....

SSGOldfart
05-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Yep I'll confirm my order now ,do you want a deposit?

Can you please repost your video link

pretzelxx
05-13-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm in. I'll have full amount for sure by the first of June, I can pay most of it already.

Redwoode
05-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Happy to be in this group.

Gremlin460
05-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Hold on to yah money guys, I want to finish each one, assemble it, video the "How Too" video, and make sure everything works fine.

Then I will pack one up, go to the post office and get solid quotes on shipping to each of you.
Once I have that I will pm everyone with our bank details and you can just do a direct deposit that way..

SSG , give me a few days and I will post the video of the AS/2 version.
It looks like the new model is lighter than the old one, but not as light as I would like, but in saying that the $20 extra in freight will be forgotten many years from now as the thing still spits out sized rounds.

first video is at .. http://s881.photobucket.com/user/Gremlin460/media/MOV_0001_zps93566aa9.mp4.html?sort=3&o=6

Finster101
05-14-2014, 06:59 AM
I'm in. I sent you a PM.

James

Gremlin460
05-14-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm in. I sent you a PM.

James

Added to the list James..

jmorris
05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Thank you. I was going to motorize it, and it could be easily done, but after using it and finding that it does 25 resizes in 30 seconds or less, I figured the nessesity of motorizing it was not a priority.
If I fit this thing with a nose down boolit feeder, either from AA Alpha or a home made one, 100 sizes a couple of minutes would be easily obtained. So is it really nessesary to mechanize it after all?

If you are going to stand there anyway why not automate the press? That will be less work than making a nose down bullet feeder that can never drop an inverted bullet (I have done both).

Moving the ram is the "dumb" part of the job, it would be a more efficient use of you to do the orientation of the bullet, that would require a more difficult to build device.

Dutchman
05-14-2014, 02:17 PM
G'day mate! You know you have an accent?

I disagree that your sizing machine is nothing special. It works perfectly and that makes it very special in my view.

Why is the pin the hardest part to make? Is it heattreated? (I'd think not). You have a vertical mill?

Those 9mm cases with the ballooned primers.. Ok I see the bolt face with the counter-sunk firing pin hole. But why? What gun is it for?

Looked at all your pictures. Last carburetor I worked on was an Amal for a Triumph T100C that I rode in the 70s. Great motorcycle and never had a bit or problem with the Lucas electrics. The Steyr-Puch split single 175cc 2 stroke also used an Amal carb. One combustion area with two pistons, one master rod, one slave rod. Bet you never saw one:).

Dutch

Gremlin460
05-14-2014, 06:41 PM
G'day mate! You know you have an accent?

I disagree that your sizing machine is nothing special. It works perfectly and that makes it very special in my view.

Why is the pin the hardest part to make? Is it heattreated? (I'd think not). You have a vertical mill?

Those 9mm cases with the ballooned primers.. Ok I see the bolt face with the counter-sunk firing pin hole. But why? What gun is it for?

Looked at all your pictures. Last carburetor I worked on was an Amal for a Triumph T100C that I rode in the 70s. Great motorcycle and never had a bit or problem with the Lucas electrics. The Steyr-Puch split single 175cc 2 stroke also used an Amal carb. One combustion area with two pistons, one master rod, one slave rod. Bet you never saw one:).

Dutch

Hi Dutch, yes I have an Accent, but not an Australian one..

The pin is actually turned out of surplus bar stock , factory seconds, I bought a load of them years back from a suspension factory.
These are turned up out of steel that originally was going to be front suspension strut bars for vehicles.
The second thing that makes the pin harder is my lathe is a manual one and not CNC controlled, so its slowly slowly when machining parts like the pin.

And lastly , you are correct I have never seen what you describe.. maybe they were not sold down here??

SSGOldfart
05-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Mike I'm going to need two and a extra pin
Thanks Bob

Dutchman
05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Hi Dutch, yes I have an Accent, but not an Australian one..

Yes, didn't think it was as Aussie as some I've heard. So where are you from? I am woefully ignorant of the possibilities.. New Zealand or South Africa?

my lathe is a manual one and not CNC controlled

I have a Birmingham 12x36.

The Puch split single:
http://physiology.usouthal.edu/restore/allstate.htm

http://www.way2speed.com/2013/05/split-single-engine.html

Gremlin460
05-15-2014, 02:28 AM
AS/2 50% redesigned...

List is as follows

1/ SSG
2/ pretzelxx
3/ redwood
4/ Finister101
5/ SSG 2nd unit + Spare Pin.

Making this more compact is a bigger challenge then I first thought LOL, but its all coming together.

Gremlin460
05-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Yes, didn't think it was as Aussie as some I've heard. So where are you from? I am woefully ignorant of the possibilities.. New Zealand or South Africa?

Born in the S/E of England. Father was in the Army for 29 years, so all my life I moved from country to country every 3 years. Loved that life.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-15-2014, 02:46 AM
Gremlin460,

Brilliant, simply brilliant. I really like your design and want to commend you.

I don't own the Lee, but am currently working on coming up with a design to automate a Ballisti-Cast Mark VI lube sizer. If you don't mind, I'd like to flatter you by copying some significant parts of your design, as it would allow me to eliminate the semi-problematic manually operated feeder of the Mark VI as well as eliminating one motor and most all the timing controls I was considering. This would greatly reduce costs for the project.

I promise not to exactly copy, just the general concept of operating off of the punch mechanism (or in your case, the press mechanism). Thank you for posting.

Best Regards,

Dave

Gremlin460
05-15-2014, 06:25 AM
Make you a deal Dave, Next week I wont need the AS1 assembly as these compact ones are growing on me.
Ill send you the old slide portion of the system in exchange for a bag of SS Pins.

Fair exchange no robbery my dad use to say.

That way you have the basic parts you require.

What say you sir?

6bg6ga
05-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Mr Gremlin460

Just finished reading thru your thread. You made a nice simple machine that will provide many people easy cost effective sizing. I was not aware of the Lee bullet sizing kit before going thru this thread. I do have a question if I may. Can this setup be used to size say 9mm brass to do a full length re-size?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-15-2014, 07:30 AM
Make you a deal Dave, Next week I wont need the AS1 assembly as these compact ones are growing on me.
Ill send you the old slide portion of the system in exchange for a bag of SS Pins.

Fair exchange no robbery my dad use to say.

That way you have the basic parts you require.

What say you sir?

Let me have the dimension of the pins and how many you'd like. I'm reasonably sure I can source them for you and would be glad to do it. I'll pm you with details once I find the pins.

Gremlin460
05-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Let me have the dimension of the pins and how many you'd like. I'm reasonably sure I can source them for you and would be glad to do it. I'll pm you with details once I find the pins.

Dave, these pins : http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stainless-tumbling-media.html

and just the small bag, #5 I think they code it.

Mike

Gremlin460
05-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Mr Gremlin460

Just finished reading thru your thread. You made a nice simple machine that will provide many people easy cost effective sizing. I was not aware of the Lee bullet sizing kit before going thru this thread. I do have a question if I may. Can this setup be used to size say 9mm brass to do a full length re-size?

Sorry to say this particular setup only sizes cast boolits and not the cases.

jmorris
05-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Sorry to say this particular setup only sizes cast boolits and not the cases.

But using the concept you have came up with it could. Add motor drive and collator, then the magma case master looks to be over priced by about $5000.

Gremlin460
05-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Well apart from the feed tube bracket, which I am still undecided on , AS/2 works fine.

Here it is, in its raw condition.

For footprint comparison, the AS/2 stands in front of the carcass of the AS/1. Footprint is now 40% the size of the original.

Just another angle .

Before I go all out into making these for you, I would like to take the opportunity to explain once again, these are hand-built, by an old fart, that means each one will be slightly different as I hand match the components. It also means that the welds are not machine grade perfect. They are hand laid welds and will NOT break.
The machine will give you years of service, and are easy to customize to your specific sizing needs.

I want you guys to know all this right from the start. the AS/2 is much, much stronger, its now supported in two places, the frame was made wide enough to allow a dillion tray box to fit underneath to capture the sized casts as they drop.
I have used a poly-nylon for the slides because it has fantastic wear resistance and abuse abilty. Also its cheap, and available everywhere. Just walk into any hardware store and pick up a $8 cutting board and you have enough materials to make 10+ slides! needs to be 12mm thick.

The new setup does away with the end stop, that is now set buy the full length threaded rod, and the ball linkage. This also means you can swap out slide with different sized holes in less than 3 seconds.

Now you have seen it, now I have got a few things off my chest, now is the time to confirm or withdraw your order. I just really wanted you guy to know the above info first.

Right I am off to the store, I ran out of mig gas this morning [smilie=b: , plus I need more steel.

Arrgh damn pics sideways, will try to fix that now

Redwoode
05-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Like it more every time you share additional info. I'm confirmed for the duration.

Keep it up!

SSGOldfart
05-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Like it more every time you share additional info. I'm confirmed for the duration.

Keep it up!
Yep I'm still all in AS/2 looks great thanks again for your help and support

pretzelxx
05-16-2014, 01:46 AM
Nice welds! Can't wait to get one!!

Finster101
05-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Yes sir.

SSGOldfart
05-19-2014, 02:25 PM
How we looking Mike?? not that I'm pushing or anything like that just casting tons of boolits to size, thought I'd take a short break and ask

Gremlin460
05-19-2014, 08:02 PM
How we looking Mike?? not that I'm pushing or anything like that just casting tons of boolits to size, thought I'd take a short break and ask

I have no problems with you guys asking, to me it means you are still interested!

OK , these last few days have been full of highs and lows.. for example

When testing the AS/2 with a friend, we found at a certain tempo that the system would "catch" occasionally.
This was found to be caused by harmonics at a certain tempo. It buggered my thought train for hours [smilie=b: until it was discovered that having both uprights at right angle to the slide would allow the slide to get a small side to side sway.
This sway was enough at a certain point for the top of the punch pin to foul on the edge of the slide hole.:!:

so bug found and eliminated by making one end 90 degrees to the other.

I am trying to make this as "idiot" proof as possible, not that I am calling you an idiot!!!
I know how and why it works, so I don't have problems, that is why I got my friend on the handle with no instructions, to see what problems if any he would have.

I have a table full of pieces of steel with "Pattern do not lose" written on them, every change I make I have to remake one or more patterns. :-( I am close to the end point. 2 things left to cure.
1) the ball swivel links I used, which were common are now harder to find, my local supplier has some but is quoting telephone number length prices. I am working on that.
2) I am currently working on a Jig so I can make nice ,clean, sharp 90deg bends in the 3mm steel. Mine I bent in the vice with a FBH. It worked well for AS1, not pretty but functional, not acceptable for the new version.

Current rate of progress points to all issues resolved in the next 2 days, so by end of week, the first new shiney one should be standing on the table complete.
That was said with my fingers crossed.:smile:

Finster101
05-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Mike, anybody that thinks something is "idiot proof" completely underestimates idiots.

SSGOldfart
05-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Mike, anybody that thinks something is "idiot proof" completely underestimates idiots.So true Finster
I've got a helper that can break a cast iron bowling ball LOL

pretzelxx
05-19-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm stoked. I wish there were a ton of pictures, I like watching things comet together. That show How It Works is awesome!!

Gremlin460
05-20-2014, 12:10 AM
I'm stoked. I wish there were a ton of pictures, I like watching things comet together. That show How It Works is awesome!!

Just for you I will throw in 2 extra parts that don't fit anywhere, just to keep you amused for a few hours :veryconfu

pretzelxx
05-20-2014, 12:13 AM
LOL do it!! I'll have my wife record me putting it together. I might go crazy flipping things over and breaking stuff. Maybe not tho, usually I only get mad if something doesn't fit right, not extra parts haha

Gremlin460
05-20-2014, 12:55 AM
I have made a quick and dirty pan brake unit to do the bends, I was welding tags and think the bends will reduce not only welding time but make it a fraction easier on assembly.

Now all I have to do is bend 10 pieces and see how much metal is taken in the bends to end up with a desired length.
Down side is I have to move the mounting holes 3/4", so I will weld the old ones closed and re drill.
I would like to counter sink the mounting holes, so there is no head bolt in the way of the catch tray. Not a big issue but just neater.

Jr.
05-20-2014, 03:11 AM
I am simply amazed at you ingenuity sir.

Glad I found this thread. I will keep watching and continue to be amazed.

Gremlin460
05-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Just a off-hand question...

How many resizing dies do you own, or how many do you think you will end up owning?
I only load for 9mm atm, and have 3 356/357/358 , I have an ulterior motive for asking this which you will find the answer for when you open the box at your house...

Hi JR, welcome to the mad house...

If you have ever been in the cast boolits chat room, you will know Nolan (oneOkie) , he calls me McGyver.. absolutely no idea why...

Finster101
05-20-2014, 05:37 AM
Well, at the moment I am sizing .452, .358. .310 and .430 and hope to add a couple more before long.

SSGOldfart
05-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Just for you I will throw in 2 extra parts that don't fit anywhere, just to keep you amused for a few hours :veryconfu

Damn one of these days I'll learn not to drink coffee while reading this forum that was funny just right on your timing for that remark LOL:smile:

SSGOldfart
05-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Humm lets see .224 .356 .358 working on a 357 die, .401 &.452 that takes care of the pistols I plan to add another then I got the T/C in 308/223/243/222/and I'm adding a 30-06/a 45-70 barrels when I can find them,In other words I've got a box full of sizing dies, I will be retiring my 450 lyman-sizer for the most part I want to see how well your sizer handles .311 and .257 before selling off my lyman 450.

Redwoode
05-20-2014, 04:20 PM
356, 357, 358, 401, 402 in Lee push through.

Have a mess of for Lyman 45 mostly obsolete. Wish l could get a threaded sleeve that screws into autosizer and holds Lyman sizing dies with a set screw maybe. Use as a push through too.

jmorris
05-20-2014, 06:32 PM
I have made a quick and dirty pan brake unit to do the bends, I was welding tags and think the bends will reduce not only welding time but make it a fraction easier on assembly.

Now all I have to do is bend 10 pieces and see how much metal is taken in the bends to end up with a desired length.

If you are talking about the slide feeder, I have made simple slides using box tubing to locate a slide. Like the one below I made for a SD case feed out of 1" box tube that costs $.36/ft.

low profile unistrut can also be picked up cheap, if you don't want to fabricate everything.

Only reason for the slot vs a hole, is that the slide must retract and leave the bullet in the shell plate as the case didn't "fall" to clear the slide like the bullet will with the machine you have designed.

Gremlin460
05-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Nice work!, I too use box section for the slider but its cut down the centre to guide the slide. In the machine I am building the cast is delivered nose down, and a open ended slide would allow round nosed cast to just roll out, or drop sideways.

I can see a use for your design in a auto-deprimer !!!! Arrgh no... no more idea's please!!!!
but then again.. maybe later on.... I could.. NO, stop it, I am walking away LA LA LA LA not listening to the internal voices!!

Gremlin460
05-21-2014, 12:55 AM

Update, what the work bench looks like ATM....

Redwoode
05-21-2014, 03:37 AM
Link says invalid attachment specified??

Gremlin460
05-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Link says invalid attachment specified??

Fixed

Gremlin460
05-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Monday will see the first AS/2 roll out... I aim for one per day, even with my regular work that should be do-able. 2 more improvements were made. All in all I hope you will be happy with these.
I have tested the prototype up to S&W 50 cal and it works fine.

Colour choices are:-
Silver Grey
Charcoal
Blue
Dark Blue
Green
Red
Gold

This is industrial Hammer-Tone Enamel. the AS/1 was done in DK/Blue

WARNING : Colour selection will cost you $10. (tee hee) because you probably will pick the colour I don't have and will have to go get one.

Finster101
05-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Blue, dark blue or red, any of those work for me.

James

pretzelxx
05-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Will it fit in a number 5 plastic container for dry tumble powder coat? Haha. I'll take charcoal please.

SSGOldfart
05-22-2014, 11:45 PM
What ever color you on hand works for both of mine[smilie=f:

Gremlin460
05-23-2014, 05:30 AM
ARRRRGH must be getting tired!, 280 holes finally drilled, out of that 25% have to be thread tapped, and in the 9th hole....... TINK, my one and only tap snaps....

Guess its telling me to put it down for tonight..... *sigh*

jmorris
05-23-2014, 08:20 AM
I hate it when that happens. With that many holes to tap you might setup a eBay search for "tapping head" I have picked up a few over the years for under $20. They can work in a normal drill press and not only do the deliver the tap straight into the part, they are also clutched and reverse the tap even though the spindle never stops, huge time saver.

Gremlin460
05-24-2014, 06:12 AM
Did a quick look on ebay, 3 tapping heads listed $187,$280 and $335 respectively. I got 3 more taps today, and the first one breezed through all the remainder of the work.

98% done and ready for assembly, I am more than pleased with progress.

Redwoode
05-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Charcoal if you please. Red alternate.

6bg6ga
05-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Henry Ford once said "You can have any color as long as its black"

jmorris
05-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Did a quick look on ebay, 3 tapping heads listed $187,$280 and $335 respectively.

Here is one at $9.99 with two days left. MT2 will also directly fit many drill presses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tapping-Head-Unknown-Brand-Morse-Taper-2-South-Bend-Lathe-/201094176238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed2259dee

The old ones are often over looked and sell cheap. Because they don't look as "high speed, low drag" as the Tapmatic units.

This is a video of my $14 one in action.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/th_VID_20131001_125344_178_zpse3278d8e.jpg (http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/VID_20131001_125344_178_zpse3278d8e.mp4)

Makes tapping holes fast and easy, if you have a bunch of them.

jmorris
05-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Another tool you may put in a search for is a burgmaster turret drill.

I just won one of these off eBay for $46. Not CNC but still a time saver if you are going to be making as many of your machines as I expect that demand will require.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=burgmaster%20turret%20drill&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CEgQtwIwCA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJ4F EmIIi_90&ei=WQGBU82_CIaNqAav1oGgBQ&usg=AFQjCNHXB5EFnGWeIpvGk77rw86en0jAtA&sig2=kf_batzSpDkRzvlAJ5q3oA&bvm=bv.67720277,d.b2k

Gremlin460
05-25-2014, 03:41 AM
Yes Dear!...

I know its sunday but I snuck down to the shed anyway.
PretzelXX your AS/2 frame was born today, I am still waiting on 2 separate materials, but that's for the slides so its a near the end of construction thing..

As you like pictures, here are 2 from today..

Now I did a few tweeks on the linkages, so they are smoother.
Also I will tell you now why I asked how many different casts you size.
the base is 200x200 square and most of the stuff is on the left hand side and across the front, this left the right rear quarter kinda empty.

Now for those who have never bought a Lee push through Sizing die, it comes in a large round plastic container, that doubles as a catch bin, when you resize the right way up.
Its large and takes a fair bit of shelf space up, especially if you have 3,4, or more.

Now if you get a few so you can do a range of sizes, you either fill up shelf space with these red containers, or you throw all but one away, which means you need to find a box to put the "not in use" Dies in. Then dig through the box each time you want to change sizers out.

So, I have built a triple layered rack in the right hand rear space that will hold 9 dies, neatly and right there at hand. Including the one in the machine itself you will have 10 dies all within arms reach.

Hope you find it helpful.

Ausglock
05-25-2014, 05:21 AM
Good stuff, Grem. Very nice.
I have not done anymore to my motor driven sizer yet.
I plan to use a Star bullet feeder to feed the Lee up side down C press.

http://s193.photobucket.com/user/glock40sw/media/smash/sizermark2.mp4.html

Gremlin460
05-25-2014, 05:37 AM
Good stuff, Grem. Very nice.
I have not done anymore to my motor driven sizer yet.
I plan to use a Star bullet feeder to feed the Lee up side down C press.

http://s193.photobucket.com/user/glock40sw/media/smash/sizermark2.mp4.html

Nice Trev, love the motor!! You think its big enough LOL

pretzelxx
05-25-2014, 03:26 PM
WOW 10 dies? Sounds like I need to collect some more calibers! I've only got two so far! I love the pictures, I cannot wait to get speed sizing! Now I also need those bullet feeders... haha

Gremlin460
05-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Real life work interfered a bit today, but I did have enough time to make Pretz die rack, this piture was taken just before I run it through the bead blaster and clan the surface for its first coat..

If you don't have enough Dies , the rack will also hold shot glasses of whisky! :drinks:

pretzelxx
05-26-2014, 09:50 PM
That looks awesome!! I really need to get casting...

jmorris
05-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Looks good. Like the die rack

Gremlin460
05-28-2014, 05:46 AM
Alrighty fellas, the end is in sight, I returned from a successful hunt with new poly slides.

I mentioned to a old guy in the factory what I was doing, and how I was looking for a specific thickness. Over the phone a young fella had said they could help but thickness was as far as he knew 16mm.
16 would have been fine, but 17 would have been ideal.
This older fella, nods a few times as I explain what I require, say's to me, just hang on a second, and disappears into the dark corners of the factory...

3 mins later he is back with this HUGE chunk of material, slides it into a machine twiddles a few knobs and this chunk disappears and reappears in a long 50x90mm square bar.
Is that what you looking for, I stammered yes, kinda, sorta, I wanted it 90x50mm but 17mm thick.. not 90x50x 2 feet long!.
Yes I know that sonny he says, now we slice it however thick you want!!

A few minutes later I walk out with a arm full of 90x50x17 poly-duba-lecky whatsit materal!!.

So one more component to aquire and that's us on the home run.

Tonight I will draught out a manual on how to assemble this and fine tune it. Kinda getting excited myself , I love building things.... especially things that work!!.

6bg6ga
05-28-2014, 07:04 AM
Alrighty fellas, the end is in sight, I returned from a successful hunt with new poly slides.

I mentioned to a old guy in the factory what I was doing, and how I was looking for a specific thickness. Over the phone a young fella had said they could help but thickness was as far as he knew 16mm.
16 would have been fine, but 17 would have been ideal.
This older fella, nods a few times as I explain what I require, say's to me, just hang on a second, and disappears into the dark corners of the factory...

3 mins later he is back with this HUGE chunk of material, slides it into a machine twiddles a few knobs and this chunk disappears and reappears in a long 50x90mm square bar.
Is that what you looking for, I stammered yes, kinda, sorta, I wanted it 90x50mm but 17mm thick.. not 90x50x 2 feet long!.
Yes I know that sonny he says, now we slice it however thick you want!!

A few minutes later I walk out with a arm full of 90x50x17 poly-duba-lecky whatsit materal!!.

So one more component to aquire and that's us on the home run.

Tonight I will draught out a manual on how to assemble this and fine tune it. Kinda getting excited myself , I love building things.... especially things that work!!.

So for us people not used to mm it would be roughly 3.5"x 2"x.669 ?

Gremlin460
05-28-2014, 09:11 AM
50x90x17 is roughly 1.9685"x3.54331"x0.669291" :groner: LOL

So you got it right.. bout time you swaped to metric.. (ducks and runs)

jmorris
05-28-2014, 09:00 PM
. bout time you swaped to metric..

Funny, that is not a larger concern than global warming here on most network stations....

Gremlin460
05-30-2014, 03:36 AM
Just so you guys don't think I have forgotten you.. Here is the first finished Frame Painted Charcoal.

Another angle........

And one next to another raw frame, so far I have 7 frames completed.

The poly slides need a bit of massage to fit to my satisfaction. I need a router table for that, I don't have one so I shall make one tomorrow, and all be well. Everything I need material wise I have, other than mounting hardware.
I shall supply all nessesary hardware for mounting the press, and bolts to bolt it down with. It will also have the new pin and associated stuff for the press operation. It will even have 4 spare machine screws with it aswell.
The dies in the picture do not arrive with the AS/2 sorry.

Ausglock
05-31-2014, 04:28 AM
Good work, Grem.

Any Cal.
05-31-2014, 05:34 AM
Those look really good.

Gremlin460
05-31-2014, 06:54 AM
Thank you both, I try my best..

6bg6ga
05-31-2014, 07:16 AM
50x90x17 is roughly 1.9685"x3.54331"x0.669291" :groner: LOL

So you got it right.. bout time you swaped to metric.. (ducks and runs)

Our system is much easier to understand. 1.9685= 2" nominal 3.54331= 3 1/2" 0.669291= either 5/8" or 11/16" either will work.

Ausglock
05-31-2014, 07:44 AM
I grew up learning imperial at school and then metric after about 1970.
I work in the timber industry and we use both systems.
EG: 4"x2" 5 at 3.6 metres.
I also use both when measuring things to cut.
EG" 5'3" and 4mm.
It works for me...:-P

jmorris
05-31-2014, 10:41 AM
They are looking very good. How much are you asking for them again?

Gremlin460
05-31-2014, 05:58 PM
$188 +$10 for colour choice and postage, includes most hardware, press conversion pin.. its all been listed before.

pretzelxx
05-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Shipping is only 10?? I can do that all day!

jmorris
05-31-2014, 07:06 PM
No, $10 is if you want him to go buy a special color.

That's a lot of extra work for the same price but I like it. What is a ballpark on shipping to the US?

Gremlin460
06-01-2014, 01:45 AM
No, $10 is if you want him to go buy a special color.

That's a lot of extra work for the same price but I like it. What is a ballpark on shipping to the US?

I had a 5 pound bag of SS media shipped out earlier this year and shipping for that was $33 , haven't weighed a finished unit yet, but be darn close I figure.

The box to ship these is 200x200x300 ID. err sorry 7.874016"x7.874016"x11.811024" ( :p ) so not a big box.

SSGOldfart
06-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Humm $33.00 is about 1/2 what I was expecting??

Gremlin460
06-03-2014, 07:14 AM
#1 is done, Just a minor tweak or two, then I shall give it a final coat and weigh it. I had it done yesterday but then had a idea to assist in setting them up so tore it all down again.

all the other frames are done, now just to assemble all the workings. Each one is slightly different because they are hand made and not punched out of a million dollar factory.

I was going to call these things AS/2 HOG as in Hand-built by a Old Guy. The wife not so keen on the name.. anyone else have any idea's?

pretzelxx
06-03-2014, 09:05 AM
If you call it "The AS/2 HOG" I think it will work, it has a ring to it...

Gremlin460
06-04-2014, 12:49 AM
OK Pretzelxx, yours is Done... next is SSG's Pair.. here are some pics for you of the finished unit.

So,
Unit comes with slide set up to do 32/9mm/357/38/40 calibres.
Top Press mounting bolts & Nuts Washers
Bottom mounting Screws
1 only base mounting bolt. (see note 1)
1 extended Press Pin.
1 lock screw for the Press Pin.
4 spare Screws and washers are fitted in the main pillar.
2 screws are fitted in the top near the press for a support for your load tube. (note 2)
Added the die rack to hold 9 dies even if they are IN speed nuts, they still fit.
Adjustable drop tube locator.
All linkages now use ball and socket ends.

Accessories available are:-
Additional slides for 40 + calibre. Includes larger adjustable tube support. (note 3)
Drill and tap for fitting press lock pin (note 4)
3 additional base bolts nuts and washers (really? you can grab these down the street)
Various spares (please ask for what ever bit you need).

So there you have it... Anyone else asking for one of these will find the next batch will be $40 more because I massively under quoted on these but refuse to break my word to anyone. Just not my style to do something like that.
I will remove my press from the unit and weigh it up and let you know what its weight is for shipping. Time for coffee me thinks..

PS, You will find these, tough and rugged and very hard to break. I hope you all get many many years of service out of them.

Mike.

Notes.
1). Under the base where the pillar is mounted is a hole. in that hole a nut has been MIGed . I include the bolt for that corner because it is metric.
2) The load tube may wave around with the weight of bigger casts, a simple fence wire support will cure that. Screws are fitted to loop the wire under and hold firm.
3) Slides are easlily made, but for those that don't want to bother I will make them $15 each, it would be easier to make them for you BEFORE I ship the unit so I can make sure it fits, if not you will have to trim to suit.
4) To fit the top pin lock screw you will need a 4.5mm drill bit, a 5mm bit and a M5x0.8 threading tap. Again easy to source locally for you but can supply for $28 if needed.

pretzelxx
06-04-2014, 12:55 AM
I can get you the 40 more next month. Fun money won't come in and I hate to short you hard work.

Gremlin460
06-04-2014, 01:38 AM
I can get you the 40 more next month. Fun money won't come in and I hate to short you hard work.

Nope, I promised these at a set price and we go with that, IF you want to send the other 40 later, I will not say no, but will think no less of you if you don't.

$188+10 and freight, unless you get other bitz , we are good on that. Missed the post office will do that in the morning.

So PM what you want, I will PM bank details and they will go out the door on a first come first served basis...

Redwoode
06-04-2014, 05:03 AM
A true work of ART!

Is the load/drop tube something we'll source locally? Does the tube go over or slip in the nipple over the slide?

Thanks, Arnell

Redwoode
06-04-2014, 05:23 AM
I currently don't do anything larger than 40/10mm. But thinking with the distance between us what would I need to do for sizing 45 also?

Gremlin460
06-04-2014, 05:46 AM
A true work of ART!

Is the load/drop tube something we'll source locally? Does the tube go over or slip in the nipple over the slide?

Thanks, Arnell

Actualy the tube is supplied with the Press Arnell, its the tube they give you for collecting spent primers in and is the perfect size for 38/9mm, possibly 10mm aswell.
Yes the tube fits over the locator above the slide. It does two jobs.
Firstly it positions the delivery tube in the correct place, and secondly, it stops the second cast from trying to travel forward with the boolit already in the slide.
Even if the tip of the second cast enters the slide, there is a "Wipe Ramp" machined into the slide to lift it back out and wait untill the slide returns and then it can drop in the hole.

The only thing you need to do for 40+ calibre is another slide and tube locator for $15. (just noticed I wrote $25 on post above.. have fixed that typo)
The slides swap out in seconds and so does the tube locator.

Hope that helps

Redwoode
06-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Yes Sir it does.

Thanks much. Off to work now.

Ausglock
06-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Do they come with the press??

Gremlin460
06-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Do they come with the press??
Nope but its the second cheapest press lee makes.

Ausglock
06-05-2014, 12:23 AM
are you going to bolt a motor onto it?

jmorris
06-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Anyone else asking for one of these will find the next batch will be $40 more

Still a good deal.

Gremlin460
06-05-2014, 01:18 AM
are you going to bolt a motor onto it?

Actually Trev if I had a choice between a bullet feeder or a motorized ram, I would probably swing for the feeder first. Motorizing these is a definite possibility as you know with your experiments.
Manual operation of the ram is quite fast, the feed tube holds 25 and I can punch through them in 15 sec without trying.
I would really need to set one up motorized first and see what issues may arise with the feed system. I'd like to think nothing would happen, but Murphy is still alive and well.
I have sized over 10,000 with mine manually and only had one hang-up, that was due to a large base flashing I did not catch before loading it into the tube.
The linkage is built tough enough to be motorized, the whole thing is over engineered to hell and back.

Somewhere down the track I will motorize one, sort out any issues and who knows, might be able to upgrade all these I currently making.

Gremlin460
06-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Change to AS/2.
I was worried about you guys having to drill and tap the press pin "Anti-Swivel" lock screw into your ram, not that I think you are incapable, just its awkward. Last night laying in bed thinking about this, I came up with a solution.
You now need to source yourself a 1/8th drill bit, and I shall include a 1/8th hardened roll pin. Drill the hole tap in the pin, leaving 1/4" exposed for easy removal if required... no more tapping of threads required. So no more tool kit required.

For those of you ordering one of these, this is what you will need to have handy
5/8th bit
1/8th bit
2 1/2" spanners, (sorry wrenches) ;)
4mm allen key (hex key) a couple is handy
pen for marking out bench holes.

That's it. Obviously you will need a electric drill and a centre punch.

Huntnman : I have made you an additional Slide to do 222/223/224/310 sizes, as the 9mm slide would be too large..

You will notice some small "witness marks" on these units, that's because I have assembled and tested each one before packing.

Redwoode
06-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Thank you Mike.

PM sent

SSGOldfart
06-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Sound great the less I have to do the better
Btw Mike I've added 44cal and 22-250 to the bullets that l'll be sizing now

SSGOldfart
06-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Guess I'll need a couple of extra slides for 44cal,45cal,and one for 224 Boolits

huntnman
06-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Can't wait to send payment. I know once that is done my AS/2 (Absolutely Superior / Automatic Sizer) will be prepping for its long journey to US(me). Don't rush every day this package is sounding better. :holysheep I hope the 5/8'' drill is only needed to mount to bench, isn't that hole approximately the size of a 62 caliber muskets bore?

Gremlin460
06-06-2014, 03:43 AM
This is the cheapest quote I could find around here for freight, UPS was too stupid to even mention

Gremlin460
06-06-2014, 04:03 AM
Oh and an addition courtesy from the missus...

Redwoode
06-06-2014, 05:15 AM
The graphic is "too cool" as my grandsons will say.

Looks like a slow boat from down under can work for me. I'll work on filling out the die rack with the shipping $ differences while I wait.

Gremlin460
06-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Can't wait to send payment. I know once that is done my AS/2 (Absolutely Superior / Automatic Sizer) will be prepping for its long journey to US(me). Don't rush every day this package is sounding better. :holysheep I hope the 5/8'' drill is only needed to mount to bench, isn't that hole approximately the size of a 62 caliber muskets bore?

Damit I ment 3/8th Drill!!!. Too much thinking fuzzed up my brain..

6bg6ga
06-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Damit I ment 3/8th Drill!!!. Too much thinking fuzzed up my brain..

Did metrics get you screwed up again?

Gremlin460
06-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Did metrics get you screwed up again?

Har Har if it had been metric there would have been no confusion [smilie=l:

Gremlin460
06-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Its the Queens birthday long weekend here in AU, and Wife and I have taken off north for the 3 day break. Was hard to walk away from the shed and work I was doing, but now I am sitting under canvas awning out in the country I am glad I came.
We are visiting friends in a country town 200 mile north of Brisbane.
The fact that he is the president of the local gun range and invited us up to shoot for the weekend had nothing to do with my decision to come, honest!!.

Redwoode
06-07-2014, 02:34 AM
Enjoy! We all can use a break from time to time.

Grizzly Adams
06-07-2014, 02:57 AM
I do love watching genius in action, keep up the good work.

Ausglock
06-07-2014, 03:19 AM
You aren't out at Dalby for the IPSC Nationals??

Gremlin460
06-07-2014, 03:33 AM
no Trev,headed up to Gympie for the weekend, the have western action match on tommorow, they always fun to watch. Besides i use a blackhawk leg holster and IPSC nerds dont like them.

Gremlin460
06-09-2014, 12:14 AM
As I do not load for 222/223/224 would someone be so kind as to drill a 1/4" hole in some scrap wood and check for cast fit please, it needs to drop in easy with enough fee space to allow for small casting irregulatities, but at the same time keep the cast upright.

BTW I am back from the holiday break...

Finster101
06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Did you get to do much shooting or was it more of a spectator sport this trip?

Gremlin460
06-10-2014, 05:51 AM
shooting, just for giggles we spent 6 hours on the 90meter rifle range, with just our handguns.. quite interesting

06-10-2014, 07:00 AM
This is the cheapest quote I could find around here for freight, UPS was too stupid to even mention

Got to love AusPost, I see a few of the options show 20kg, could you package 2 or 3 together and get one of the guys in the US to forward them. Might save everyone a bit on postage cost if its doable.

Gremlin460
06-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Got to love AusPost, I see a few of the options show 20kg, could you package 2 or 3 together and get one of the guys in the US to forward them. Might save everyone a bit on postage cost if its doable.
That 20kg means that service will only cater to that amount as a maximum, not that it will take up to 20kg for that cost..
I think it stinks personally.. The price of postage for anything is rediculous, UPS in AU quoted me $375 for the 6-6.5kg package... I know everyone works for a living, but near $400 from UPS.. Really??
I think the 2 week boat trip option is the best..

On a less stressful Note, I 99% finnished another today.. just got to make the slides, they are a PITA to machine, there is a cloud, not unlike candy-floss every time I cut a few thou of thickness off the slide to make it a nice fit... I can tell you a mans workshop is NOT supposed to look fluffy inside!

Gremlin460
06-11-2014, 06:23 AM
SSG Bob,
your 1st machine is finished and in its box, the second is done except for the slides, slides are cut and faced just need to be tweeked to fit. The 2nd unit has all 3 slides. It will be finished tomorrow.

Finister
Yours is done and in box, Blue + the 2 slides. Tested and packed.

Huntnman,
Yours is done in the box, tested with the +2 slides.

Redwoode,
your frame was painted today and is drying haven't made the slides for your yet.

Pretzelxx
your frame is done, waiting for arrival of some more ball fittings, which should be here Thursday.

I *think* I have that all correct, if I have missed something please let me know ASAP.
Sorry it has taken a week longer than I thought, but I am on these everyday to catch up. The assembly and testing takes a fair bit of time, but is nessesary to ensure you have zero problems.
Mike.

All units come with the 9mm/357/38 slide at standard, so when I say +2 slides I mean the small and the large slide. If no one else wants one I should have them all done by weeks end.

huntnman
06-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Does that include every thing from .224-.452? Would that be 3 slides?

Gremlin460
06-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Does that include every thing from .224-.452? Would that be 3 slides?

Small Slide = 1/4" hole does up to .2500
STD slide = 25/64" hole does up to .3906
Large Slide = 13.5mm hole does up to .5310

Those should cover all that is required, the only other thing I can probably do is make a Blank Slide, with just a pilot hole where the casts drop, and you drill to your own needs.
You will have to die grind a wipe ramp from the hole to help unload the second cast waiting to be sized. Not as complicated as it sounds but required.

jmorris
06-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Do you have a photo of the wipe ramp?

Gremlin460
06-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Do you have a photo of the wipe ramp?

Tried to but white on white has no detail, it basically is a area just before the hole that starts of the width of the hole and tapers to a point towards the drop tube.
It is not hard to make one and the ramp on the slide that comes with the feeder will show you what's nessesary

jmorris
06-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Sounds similar to a flute on a revolver cylinder but changes depth too?

Gremlin460
06-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Sounds similar to a flute on a revolver cylinder but changes depth too?
YES! exactly, and yes it is deeper at the hole end and tapers up to the surface of the slide.

Gremlin460
06-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Finaly got time to front up at the post office with one in a box. 6.3KG. dropped a plastic bag on the box while on the scale with 2 optional slides and tube locator, 6.31 kg.
So with without options freight is same.

In AU dollars, which is less than your dollars, best 2 choices are:-

$82. Transport by sea. Without pirates, sunami's, sinking, torpedoed, storms and rouge waves transit time MAY be up to 90 days. If the rowing slaves don't revolt or die of the plague.

$128 Transport by Air. Unless flying with Malasia Airlines, shot down by chineese or Russians, hi-jacked, used to demolish buildings or just falling out of the sky. Transit time 10 days.

AS-2 Unit with everything but 3 bench bolts $198usd, with both optional slides $228usd.

3rd option is $1600usd transport, and I deliver personaly, eat all your food, drink your beer and fly home, annoyance factor with this option HIGH.

Bob due to the fact you ordered 2, the additional Press pin you wanted is Gratis..

Bobs, Pretz's and Huntnmans are boxed and ready, Redwoode and finister are 90% done, should all be good withing 48 hours, THEN I will assemble mine. Once Redwoods is finished I shall tidy the place up, and make a video for you on how to assemble and set up. There is a basic "how to" sheet in the box.

SSGOldfart
06-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Humm just shoot me a pm with the total plus shipping when you get them completed and ready to roll;
changing the subject a little my wife wants to know if you know of anyone who deals with old coins from over there?? she collects them

Gremlin460
06-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Humm just shoot me a pm with the total plus shipping when you get them completed and ready to roll;
changing the subject a little my wife wants to know if you know of anyone who deals with old coins from over there?? she collects them

Not personally, but then I have never asked, is there anything/era/style she is interested in? I can sure ask around for her no problem at all.

how you want these sent, sea or air?
I am sorting out a paypal account for this adventure.

huntnman
06-14-2014, 12:01 AM
To me the question is, is it worth waiting aprox. 80 days longer to save 46 Au dollars (after all there not good in the US). I'm leaning toward quicker is better.
Does anyone know for sure? I thought shipment by sea has higher damage claims rate.:kidding: Items maybe sitting in bilge water,or open air storage container for duration of shipment. I would hate to see all that hard work turn to rust. I have more than enough rust now. Greg<huntnman

Gremlin460
06-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Everyone has a PM, please confirm I got it right and we good to finalize this.

Redwoode
06-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Mike, was there going to be a brief video of one of these units in operation before being broken down? Maybe show switching slides and any hints you may have on care and operation.

I'm going to bite the bullet and go for air shipping.

Arnell

Gremlin460
06-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Mike, was there going to be a brief video of one of these units in operation before being broken down? Maybe show switching slides and any hints you may have on care and operation.

I'm going to bite the bullet and go for air shipping.

Arnell

Yes, I am planning a youtube video, showing how to assemble and use, this includes swapping slides and any adjustments you may need, although I am not planning on going anywhere so you can ask me direct if you have a issue.

Gremlin460
06-15-2014, 02:17 AM
Thanks Huntnman, looks like paypal worked for you, they bit me $12 in fees though!! robbing bums!!.

jmorris
06-15-2014, 02:51 PM
If you are going to accept funds with paypal have them "gift" it to you.

Gremlin460
06-15-2014, 07:35 PM
If you are going to accept funds with paypal have them "gift" it to you.

New to Paypal... Gift?

Redwoode
06-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I've bought well over a hundred items via paypal since 2000 or so and haven't "gifted" anyone yet. Always identified transaction as purchasing goods or services as did this time. When selling I did like Mike. Guess they have to make something although 1.5% feels much better for what little they do now they're all up and running.
My $0.02

Gremlin460
06-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Anyway, all the sizers are finished except for 1, and no rush on that one. I have 2 large real live work jobs running, and as soon as they have been written off, I will do that video I promised. That way you guys can watch it a few times so when yours arrived you are already up to speed on what is needed to put it to work.

Redwoode
06-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Super! Thank-you.

pretzelxx
06-16-2014, 04:13 PM
I wish banks worked faster! Feels like I'm a bad customer... good thing for PayPal tho! Snail mail is worse!!

Redwoode
06-17-2014, 02:45 AM
Air shipment tracking # please?

Gremlin460
06-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Air shipment tracking # please?

They don't give one on the cheapie air-transport... they tell me 5-10 days Delivery.

Gremlin460
06-19-2014, 05:23 AM
Redwoode's Sizer is on its way to the air-port, Huntnman will be on its way to the port tomorrow.

Sorry for the slight delay in posting, seems Paypal has decided because I am a new client, they are withholding all monies for 21 days to teach me a lesson... or something. Anyway I had to wait till today, to gather funds for the shipping.

Redwoode
06-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Unbelievable! Probably don't trust that our funds are good.

Thanks for the update though.

jmorris
06-19-2014, 09:39 AM
No, they did that to me on the first item I sold on ebay and used paypal for the transaction.

Just another way to make a few pennys (millions of times a day). They will also draft instantly from your bank account for things you pay for but if you are the one being paid you have to go to paypal and transfer the funds from them to your bank account yourself.

Gremlin460
06-21-2014, 03:59 AM
Everything is done, checked, packed, re-opened and double checked and sealed... SSG is the only one I don't have a delivery address for....
Due to a issue beyond my control I didn't get to the post office for the 2 going by sea.. I ask you to reconsider sending by air, or at least $20 for insurance if definitely by sea... your call... Just saying.
If not on Monday morning they leave by sea...

The video has been done, and my tech savvy son is editing it over the weekend and I hope to have it posted up for you all to see...

Patent office responded today, the temp Patent is in the pipeworks, I have 12 months to decide if its worth finalizing or not.

I hope you all are not disappointed, and find the AS/2 HOG as easy to use and helpful as I have.
Mike

Finster101
06-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Mike, I sent you a PM on the shipping

SSGOldfart
06-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Mike, I sent you a PM on the shipping

Same here

huntnman
06-24-2014, 02:02 PM
sent pm about shipping. Afraid I maybe too late. My fault

Gremlin460
06-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Gone awful quiet in here!...

Redwoode
06-25-2014, 05:28 AM
How's editing on the video coming?

Finster101
06-25-2014, 07:40 AM
Gone awful quiet in here!...

We're all waiting! You don't have any pictures or updates it's like being in limbo. I hate to say it but I will probably leave mine packed up for a while when it gets here, which is why I originally went with the boat on shipping. I'm building a house that will give me quite a bit more room and plan on waiting to set it up once I am there. The space I have is a bit crowded as it is and I would just have to pack it up again. Looking forward to the video though and I have been doing a bit of casting. I have been off work for a month and a half following a heart attack so I have lots of time to kill. I just have to keep it to short sessions. Sorry for the long winded bio.

Gremlin460
06-25-2014, 08:16 AM
How's editing on the video coming?

The first attempt went badly wrong, so we have been reshooting segments, I forgot a lot of info first time around.. but hey I never said I was a film star!!. Most of the first footage turned out way too dark.. but you don't know until you try. AJ ( my son) says we should have something at the weekend..

SSGOldfart
06-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Sounds good,I'm glad I changed to air shipping the boat takes to long, I've gotta get my new 44's setup for hunting this year Doctors have said no recoil on my head again this year,I've been given maybe another year....

SSGOldfart
06-27-2014, 08:04 AM
We're all waiting! You don't have any pictures or updates it's like being in limbo. I hate to say it but I will probably leave mine packed up for a while when it gets here, which is why I originally went with the boat on shipping. I'm building a house that will give me quite a bit more room and plan on waiting to set it up once I am there. The space I have is a bit crowded as it is and I would just have to pack it up again. Looking forward to the video though and I have been doing a bit of casting. I have been off work for a month and a half following a heart attack so I have lots of time to kill. I just have to keep it to short sessions. Sorry for the long winded bio.
well mine will stay in the box for a couple of hours LOL I'll be sizing the same day I get it in hand (I hope anyways) Mike can you email a copy of the basic "how to" sheet ? to thboutdoors at aol dot com..

Gremlin460
06-27-2014, 08:16 AM
After much phoning and complaining Paypal released some of the funds so another 2 can fly out now.. SSG, I stopped writing the how too sheet in favor of the video. The vid should be done by Sunday night so I have been assured.

SSGOldfart
06-27-2014, 09:02 AM
okay works for me

Finster101
06-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Mike, as I mentioned above I am not in a hurry if you need to get some of the others out first. I don't know why Pay-pal isn't paying you. They sure the money out of my account.

SSGOldfart
06-27-2014, 08:45 PM
They charged our account too

Gremlin460
06-28-2014, 03:37 AM
Stolen from paypal sheet...

What happens to my funds before I meet the requirements?Before you become an established seller with PayPal, funds you receive will be placed in your PayPal account's pending balance. If there are no issues with the order, your funds will be available 21 days after the transaction date, or sooner if we can confirm the item has been delivered. This helps keep PayPal a safer place to send and receive payments.

unquote.. see its just another way they use other peoples money to earn interest...... But take heart we is nearly in the clear.. although they need to clarify that funds "available" still take 3-5 days to get from PP to me..

Finister, I got that.. yours will be last to go, 2 more go Monday, Bobs around wed, and then just yours so all good, but highly annoying that Paypal mess you guys around.

Finster101
06-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Mike, I don't have any experience with Pay-pal as a vendor but I'm just wondering if after you complete a few transactions the hold will go away? It may also be because it is international. I know it is annoying but I don't think there are many other alternatives.

Gremlin460
06-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Mike, I don't have any experience with Pay-pal as a vendor but I'm just wondering if after you complete a few transactions the hold will go away? It may also be because it is international. I know it is annoying but I don't think there are many other alternatives.

Yes the hold is for 5 transactions and 30 days.. then us NEW guys are deemd fit.. its just a money making scam on PP behalf..

Gremlin460
06-29-2014, 08:07 AM
I more sleeps and 2 boxes out the door, Bob the upside to your slight delay is I have more coins for the wife, that may pay dividends for you :)

Gremlin460
06-30-2014, 02:09 AM
Okay, for those interested parties...

Redwoode, yours should be just about on your doorstep..
Finister101 and Huntnmans went off very early this morning 3-10 days.
SSG, both yours are packed and should be leaving wed this week, sorry about the delay but I gave me a chance to throw in some stuff for the missus.. also yours was used in the making of the video...
Lastly Pretzel.. yours is boxed and ready for when you have sorted your shipping stuff and will also be on the 3-10 day quota.

and that my friends is where we are at currently...

Redwoode
06-30-2014, 02:59 AM
Likely here this week. No mail service Friday though 4th of July.

Your son have better luck on videotape editing this time?

Gremlin460
06-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Likely here this week. No mail service Friday though 4th of July.

Your son have better luck on videotape editing this time?

Yup its about as good as it gets... the more I saw of the bits he is putting together the more I thought I could have done better... but it shows you what is needed to be done..

SSGOldfart
06-30-2014, 11:39 AM
"no worries mate", she's looking forwards to the package as you know, I don't do Pay-pal but the wife does us it, remember guys there is many miles between us so it's going to take some time.Mike just keep on posting updates so we know what is going on. No worries your doing a fine job
I think the Paypal delay looks like a scam, but it's really a protection plan for the buyer.!!

well now that we have you started,what's the next item your planning to build? has to be a few ideals flote'n around up there in your head.... LOL

Gremlin460
07-01-2014, 03:48 AM
"well now that we have you started,what's the next item your planning to build? has to be a few ideals flote'n around up there in your head.... LOL

Actually not too much ATM.. I made my own case collator, I made my own powder cop die, made the finger safe Sizer feeder... I want to make a quick release for the primer feeder on my Dillon 650.

Screwing/Un-Screwing the little ramp off the side to stop the feeder from operating is a PITA.. I throw all the used cases in the hopper, remove the powder measure and primer feed ramp and use the 650 to deprime all the cases. I wet tumble with Stainless media, so I deprime the brass first, that way the primer holes as like new as well.... OH! I made the Wet tumbler myself as well LOL. Pictures are on my Photo-Bucket page..
What else... hmmmm I made my own Sprue Plates for the lee mold, it came with a alloy sprue plate and letting a friend use it to learn casting on he galled the hell out of the plate and top of the mold, how he managed that I have no idea, now it has a 1/4" thick steel plate.. pics on the PB page too..

So unless any of you have anything in particular in mind that would be handy to have?? Nothing springs to mind.. I will give thought to a better way to load the AS/2 tubes, although a MrBullet mini feeder should be easy to adapt and fit, the AS/2 is definitely strong enough to support it.

Finster101
07-01-2014, 08:49 AM
The bullet feeder definitely comes to mind for me.

jmorris
07-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Screwing/Un-Screwing the little ramp off the side to stop the feeder from operating is a PITA.

Loop a ziptie around the fail safe rod bracket. Loop it around the advance arm held back when you want to turn off primer flow. Make the loop large enough so it is easy to slide it on and off of the lever.

jmorris
07-01-2014, 09:45 AM
I will give thought to a better way to load the AS/2 tubes,

Might take a look at post 10&11 in this thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232791-Mr-Bullet-feeder-for-star

Finster101
07-01-2014, 08:28 PM
After looking at the Mr. Bullet Feeder page, they sure are proud of them.

jmorris
07-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Small market. If harbor freight could sell a few million of them next month they would be $9.

Gremlin460
07-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Might take a look at post 10&11 in this thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232791-Mr-Bullet-feeder-for-star

WOW there are so many parallels between those pictures and my lifestyle!! Amazing, I am not quite as financial as he is though!

jmorris
07-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I never throw anything away and my wife calls most of my "stuff" junk. When you can put the junk together and save money...well that is what I like to do most.

From the skills that I know you have, a bullet collator should be easy. Your work reflects what I do as well. Simple, functional and on a budget that doesn't cause a fight with the wife.

Gremlin460
07-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I apologize for the delay but......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87W_NsIuXCk

Should give you a idea what your in for....

Maximumbob54
07-02-2014, 09:46 AM
I knew I was going to love the video as soon as the music started.

jmorris
07-02-2014, 05:53 PM
That video is likely better than a 100 page manual would be.

Gremlin460
07-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Thank you for the kind words, shall pass it onto my son AJ, he did the filming, editing and helped upload it to youtube. Its more of a how to assemble video rather than a how it works one. I personally think I could have done it a bit better, but as long as it does what its supposed to , I am happy to call it good.

I am hoping once these have arrived at thier respective new homes and been used that I will get a few posative comments on the video.

Gremlin460
07-05-2014, 05:44 AM
So we all still above ground??

Redwoode
07-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Yep. Still waiting for the postman to deliver package.

Gremlin460
07-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Yep. Still waiting for the postman to deliver package.

Office of origin 446272
24th-June-2014
Customs number CP078937231AU
Going to Ohio

should be there or in your garden somewhere...

Gremlin460
07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
HuntinMan and Finisters....

Office of Origin 414027
30-June-2014
Custom Number CP126718729AU and CP126718715AU

these are still 5-6 days way from delivery..

Bobs Leave in the morning cause it took paypal that long to release his freight payment, (bastids)
Will log all those details in here for him..

Redwoode
07-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Believe it's waiting for me at the post office. Slip left in the mailbox Saturday informing package requiring signature. Will stop by after work tomorrow afternoon.

Gremlin460
07-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Believe it's waiting for me at the post office. Slip left in the mailbox Saturday informing package requiring signature. Will stop by after work tomorrow afternoon.

I really hope so, I was starting to worry..

huntnman
07-07-2014, 03:30 PM
:razz: Received mine today. Box looked bad holes in all the bottom corners, two sides torn at top corners:sad:, one tear was aprox. 3". Two of the parts bags torn open. But NOT my usual luck. I have what looks like all the small parts somehow stayed in the box. ALL IS GOOD! :razz: :razz: THANKS Greg>huntnman

Gremlin460
07-07-2014, 07:43 PM
:razz: Received mine today. Box looked bad holes in all the bottom corners, two sides torn at top corners:sad:, one tear was aprox. 3". Two of the parts bags torn open. But NOT my usual luck. I have what looks like all the small parts somehow stayed in the box. ALL IS GOOD! :razz: :razz: THANKS Greg>huntnman

Check out the video and pause at the lists part.. anything missing I will gladly replace..

You should have:-
Large slide
Small Slide
Top mount bolts (3)
Bottom mount screws (2)
Large tube holder
Small Tube Holder
Tube holder screws (2)
Tube Support screws (2)
Press Pin
Anti twist pin
spare screws (4)
Hidden Base bolt (1)
Actuating lever.

As you can see I used fibre reinforced tape to try and support the boxes better during transport, and I use a LOT of it..

Gremlin460
07-07-2014, 07:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87W_NsIuXCk

Sit down with a cuppa and watch once or twice, then you know exactly how to assemble. I did assemble every single one prior to posting to make sure you have no issues..

Then Post pics of your finished unit...:bigsmyl2:

Redwoode
07-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Picked mine up today. Appears the box experienced the same rough handling. Appears nothing missing or damaged. Got the Lee press mounted but didn't start on pin swap or any drilling. I'm going to drill out the press frame to 1/2" for the feed tube as mentioned in the video to get the tube as straight as possible. It appears the bottom of the small tube holder will be about 3/16" above the slide with screws holding it level. That sound okay?

Very well done Mike. Thanks again for sharing.

Gremlin460
07-07-2014, 09:46 PM
That should be fine, the tube support only needs to be close enough to the slide to stop the 2nd in-line cast from trying to move with the one in the slide. that's what the wipe ramp in the slide is for.

Did the press survive OK?, they should be way tough enough to survive the transport..

huntnman
07-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Looked like bridge must have been massaged in transit. Had to disassemble bridge, realign by placing washers under side brackets so alignment spacer under the bridge and hole would allow sizer die to properly lineup.
I would suggest anyone that is going to drill 1/2" hole for feed tube do so before mounting or at least before doing pin swap. I did not do so now am working around.I placed tube on the large tube holder routing around press securing to the presses hose flange with a lose fitting temporary wire tie. Hey it works great. I only had a couple hundred ready to size, took a lot less time to do them , than type this. I'm up and running, HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY! SORRY Don't do pictures or know how to post them.

Redwoode
07-08-2014, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the hint re drilling 1/2" hole before pin swap.

Gremlin460
07-08-2014, 04:09 AM
TSK TSK, if you put pin in and then decide to drill 1/2 hole through old primer area, simply remove pivot bolt and the whole Ram will twist out of way, or simply pull it straight out of the press and lay to one side.

If you are happy, please leave a comment on the YouTube video page so anyone else considering one can see that they actually do work... Id appreciate that immensely...

ANY issues you have let me know right away and I see what I can do to help.

huntnman
07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
That's what happens when you post when yore tired, but happy that a project went well. Didn't have a 1/2'' drill handy when I put it together, thought I had hosed myself. Now I see the errors of my way. THANKS Gremlin. This machine must have been designed with careful thought about how, inexperienced people (such as myself) would try to assemble it.

Gremlin460
07-08-2014, 08:15 PM
As long as you happy Huntin... that's really all that matters..

Bob your left at first sign of daylight this morning.. CP126718763AU and CP126718750AU... with a bit extra for the good lady..

Now I just waiting to see how they perform for you...

SSGOldfart
07-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Well I'll let you know as soon as I get it looks great in the video