PDA

View Full Version : Reloading primer loctite?

AMT7
04-17-2014, 02:42 AM
We are looking at reloading some 45acp and see on our range brass with the non crimped primers a red staining like loctite. Is this what it looks like instead of crimping?

220swiftfn
04-17-2014, 03:36 AM
No. The crimped primers have a mechanical lock in the case, usually seen on military brass for machinegun use. The red that you are seeing is a sealant used to keep moisture/oil out of the case, and it wouldn't keep a primer from backing out (even if it WAS loctite). You can find both used on the same case, and if you want to, you can buy sealant or thin out nailpolish to apply it to your own loads....

Dan

82ndMedic
04-17-2014, 12:32 PM
With that sealant or nail polish would it make the rounds "waterproof"?

Char-Gar
04-17-2014, 12:53 PM
To make a loaded round truly waterproof, the military used a sealant around the primer and a type of asphalt sealer in the case neck. A little bead was placed just inside the cast mouth and the bullet shoved it into place while seating. Most ammo is pretty water resistant without all of this, but to be truly waterproof, it takes sealant around the primer and the bullet.

w5pv
04-17-2014, 01:22 PM
I have never fired a gun underwater,have waded streams that have gotten ammo underwater with no ill effects.Probably depends how long under water.For short periods what ammo I have subjected to under water conditions had noe ill effects that I can recollect

454PB
04-17-2014, 01:45 PM
I watched a shooting show on the ourdoors channel where they fired a 1911 underwater. They did this in a swimming pool, gun mounted in a Ransom rest, and fired remotely. Everything functioned normally the first shot, had a stovepipe the second shot, and normal function for 5 more shots. Surprisingly, the bullets traveled about 20 feet through the water. At the end of the test they field stripped the gun and found the barrel had bulged.

VHoward
04-17-2014, 01:49 PM
The occaisonal temporary dunking is not going to effect ammo that you use shortly there after. It is prolonged exposure to moisture that is harmful. If you live in a damp environment and want to store ammo for long periods (more than a couple of years), then you need to use sealant during reloading or use a dessicant in your storage container. Another option is vacuum sealing the ammo into the vacuum seal bags.

VHoward
04-17-2014, 01:50 PM
I watched a shooting show on the ourdoors channel where they fired a 1911 underwater. They did this in a swimming pool, gun mounted in a Ransom rest, and fired remotely. Everything functioned normally the first shot, had a stovepipe the second shot, and normal function for 5 more shots. Surprisingly, the bullets traveled about 20 feet through the water. At the end of the test they field stripped the gun and found the barrel had bulged.
Hydraulic pressure is unforgiving.

HarryT
04-17-2014, 02:19 PM
SCUBA divers waterproof various cartridges and shotgun shells for use in bangsticks. These cartridges are reliable even when submerged past 200 feet.