PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven Camping Box, Transportation Inquiry Build Thread

Just Duke
04-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Dutch Oven Horse Packing/Camping Box, Transportation Inquiry Build Thread

We have 6 of these in the cardboard boxes they came in. Also various sizes.
I'm sure the boxes won't survive one rain storm......
Anyone made boxes or case for these?
I have a bunch of left over wood and looking at making something.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/S1/LODGE.jpg~original (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/media/S1/LODGE.jpg.html)

This might work but I don't know.

http://www.evolutionarysaddles.com/s-pack%205.jpg

Just Duke
04-16-2014, 10:35 PM
I was thinking something like this person made.
If the grain was going up and down I could spline the joints.
A pic found on the net.

http://waronpants.net/article/wooden-cupcake-box-1/wooden-cupcake-box-1-6.jpg

smoked turkey
04-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Duke, It seems to me that a square box would store better than a round one. Since you need six boxes for storage I would think that making them with square corners would allow them to be stacked and rowed up with quite a bit more stability. I think hinged tops or slip fit tops would be much easier to make as well. The square boxes could be machine cut dovetails or box jointed and look very nice as well as being strong. If the interiors were made with precision (I am quite sure yours would be!), then the round pots would make good contact on all four sides and not allow any movement of the oven. Sounds like a good project that would be an interesting and beneficial build. I am looking for a 12" or 14" USA made dutch oven for my son for next Christmas. I have been hitting the flea markets every chance I get but the Boy Scouts seem to be beating me to them. I will be interested in what you come up with.

garandsrus
04-17-2014, 12:36 AM
I would suggest a box that holds two dutch ovens, side by side. That would give you a lot of flexibility as to how many ovens to take, while reducing the number of individual boxes. It would also make a more stable box.

Just Duke
04-17-2014, 12:48 AM
I would suggest a box that holds two dutch ovens, side by side. That would give you a lot of flexibility as to how many ovens to take, while reducing the number of individual boxes. It would also make a more stable box.

I like this idea.

reed1911
04-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Looks like a great project for a scout troop. IF you have any local you may approach them for ideas, I've seen some really great ideas come out of scouts, they camp and have to transport a lot of gear and 10-15 year old boys come up with some really 'out there' ideas and some really great ones too.
I think I would opt for a long skinny box to hold two or three, rectangle, with some hemp type rope handles on the ends and sides. Hinged with a piano hinge on the long side. Pallet wood if you want to do it on the cheap. maybe a loop on the top of the box on the inside for "T" handle grabber to pull them from the coals.

MUSTANG
04-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Duke

Why not one or more "Chuck Boxes". Many, Many years ago in Boy Scouts we had Chuck boxes the Troop's Fathers had made. Size was about 36" wide x "24" deep x 24" high. The front dropped down to form a table with two chains to hold the front "Table" as a food preparation site. On each side had a handle made with two pipes set at a 45 degree angle or so, and welded to a plate that was bolted to the box side. Four Metal Pipe Legs were inserted into each of the short pipes welded to the handles so that the pipes acted as legs with the drop down table front sitting about 32" to 36" above the ground.

In these Chuck boxes were kept Dutch ovens, Coffee Pots, nested pots and pans, cooking utensils, salt/pepper/spices/condiments, and flour and sugar in sealed containers. All easily transported and retrieved for camp set up from the Troops logistics Trailer, towed behind the Troops school bus named "Phantom 109"; a Hybrid translation of the Troop Number "109" and the then famous song "Phantom 309", a song written by Tommy Faile and released as a single by Red Sovine in 1967.

Just Duke
04-17-2014, 12:31 PM
I tried to re-edited the title but the software would not allow me to.
The Dutch Ovens all have to be transported via Horse.

FrankG
04-17-2014, 02:29 PM
DUKE, do you have Joe Back's book?
http://www.amazon.com/Horses-Hitches-Rocky-Trails-Back/dp/B003KDD11Y

Just Duke
04-18-2014, 01:14 AM
DUKE, do you have Joe Back's book?
http://www.amazon.com/Horses-Hitches-Rocky-Trails-Back/dp/B003KDD11Y

No sir I don't. I have never seen this book over the last 30 years either. I'll check it out.

FrankG
04-18-2014, 01:18 AM
Lot of good info in it for horse camping .

Just Duke
04-18-2014, 01:29 AM
What part of S. OR are you in Frank?

FrankG
04-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Klamath Falls.

Just Duke
04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Klamath Falls.

How far are you from the lake? How is the Elk Hunting there? You guys have Mule Deer right?

FrankG
04-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Im about 15 miles from lake and 1 mile from river . Elk hunting is fair here but pretty good up in Diamond Lake area. Mule Deer are on the east side . Im southwest of Kfalls a bit and we have benchleg (Muley/Blacktail) cross .East of HWY 97 is generally Muley country .

Walter Laich
04-19-2014, 10:48 AM
I tried to re-edited the title but the software would not allow me to.
The Dutch Ovens all have to be transported via Horse.
When you click on Edit, once the text comes up, click on the "Go Advanced" box at lower right and you can edit title of post

Just Duke
04-19-2014, 01:24 PM
When you click on Edit, once the text comes up, click on the "Go Advanced" box at lower right and you can edit title of post

Yep! tried it. After a certain amount of time. it doesn't allow it. Also it only allows one title edit. Maybe one of the mods can help out.
Thanks for the offer to help though.

Just Duke
04-19-2014, 01:27 PM
As a control I tried it again with no success.

Just Duke
04-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Im about 15 miles from lake and 1 mile from river . Elk hunting is fair here but pretty good up in Diamond Lake area. Mule Deer are on the east side . Im southwest of Kfalls a bit and we have benchleg (Muley/Blacktail) cross .East of HWY 97 is generally Muley country .

Thanks Frank! Duly noted and appreciated. :bigsmyl2:

Just Duke
04-22-2014, 05:13 AM
I'm still thinking.

JFE
04-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Dutch ovens or camp ovens as we call them here are pretty heavy and being cast iron they are prone to breakage. Do you have spun steel camp ovens in the US ? They are much lighter weight and more robust. The other advantage is that the lid doubles as a frypan.

Here's a couple examples of locally made ones:

http://www.southernmetalspinners.com.au/camping-page.html

http://www.campingwithhillbilly.com/campovens.php

They cook pretty much the same as cast iron ovens without the disadvantages.

Just Duke
04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Dutch ovens or camp ovens as we call them here are pretty heavy and being cast iron they are prone to breakage. Do you have spun steel camp ovens in the US ? They are much lighter weight and more robust. The other advantage is that the lid doubles as a frypan.

I'm not looking to replace the brand new dutch ovens we bought years ago just transport them.

Sweetpea
04-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Steel is NOT going to give you the cooking benefits of cast iron, nor will the aluminum "dutch ovens"...

Duke, I'll give you a standing invitation, if you come up to my neck of the woods, I'll cook you some of MY dutch oven favorites...

Just Duke
04-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Steel is NOT going to give you the cooking benefits of cast iron, nor will the aluminum "dutch ovens"...

Duke, I'll give you a standing invitation, if you come up to my neck of the woods, I'll cook you some of MY dutch oven favorites...

That sounds like a great plan and thanks. I'll add you to my friends list as a show of good faith.
Are you out of Cedar City?

Just Duke
04-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Cast Iron Dutch Ovens fit the mood and genre of the Old West. I surely wish I could have been living 130 years ago. Those that know me feel I would be happier back then, then now.

Sweetpea
04-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Duke, how many are you going to be cooking for?

Time was, before I had so much camping stuff, I cooked every meal in 1 dutch oven...

BUT it is not a bad idea to have one for savory, and one for sweets.

kootne
04-26-2014, 02:28 PM
The fellow who mentioned the chuck wagon boxes has got it right. We used them for years. Gives you a pack box while packing and a kitchen cabinet and table area when you get there. If it was me and I didn't want to deal with a chuck wagon box I would throw the oven in a gunnysack (to keep soot off every thing else) and manny it up in a tarp with whatever else it takes to make a load for one side. Always handy to have an extra manny tarp around for covering gear and tack if weather is snotty. Or if you're packin pellets or grain, stow it in the feed. My thought is an box is just extra weight and the pot don't need the box for protection. Not trying to tell you that your way is wrong, just some other considerations.
kootne

kootne
04-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Duke, here is another thought. Cut 2 pieces of thin plyboard maybe 2' x 3', the size could be adjusted to accomodate what you need to fit in there. To pack, throw down a manny tarp, put one plyboard down and pile gear (including dutch ovens) probably not over 18" deep on the bottom board. Pad all the rattles! Then put the other board on top like a sandwich. Manny it all up and sling it on a Decker. Now when you are setting up your camp those boards become your table(s).
All you need is to drive (4) 1"-2" diameter posts a few inches into the ground. Trim them off level to each other at the height you want the table. Set one of your boards on and screw it on with one sheetrock screw threw the board into the top of each post. Now you got a table that don't knock over. So the boards have a use while packing and in camp.
kootne

Just Duke
04-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Duke, here is another thought. Cut 2 pieces of thin plyboard maybe 2' x 3', the size could be adjusted to accomodate what you need to fit in there. To pack, throw down a manny tarp, put one plyboard down and pile gear (including dutch ovens) probably not over 18" deep on the bottom board. Pad all the rattles! Then put the other board on top like a sandwich. Manny it all up and sling it on a Decker. Now when you are setting up your camp those boards become your table(s).
All you need is to drive (4) 1"-2" diameter posts a few inches into the ground. Trim them off level to each other at the height you want the table. Set one of your boards on and screw it on with one sheetrock screw threw the board into the top of each post. Now you got a table that don't knock over. So the boards have a use while packing and in camp.
kootne

LOL Libby Montana. Yaak was suppose to be our future home site build until the park service decided to feed the Elk to the Wolves which to forces folks back to the city.

Are you referring to Manties?

kootne
04-27-2014, 04:28 PM
LOL Libby Montana. Yaak was suppose to be our future home site build until the park service decided to feed the Elk to the Wolves which to forces folks back to the city.

Are you referring to Manties?

Hi Duke, take up wolf hunting, legal limit is 5/year and 6 month season. Of course, nobody has any good recipies out yet for them.
About those tarps, I have been known to mispel words they taught me from a book, but we didn't have no spellin books or any other books on the mountain, 'cept the bosses account book and a little New Testament in one or two fellers warbags. To me, a manny tarp is 6 or 7' square, used to wrap and secure a load slung on a Decker saddle. I just call 'em as I've heard 'em all my life. The old geezers when my Daddy was young called the process, "cargo-ing". The guys I worked with and for used the term "manny-ing up" or "manny-up" for making the loads and "slingin' " for the loading on the mule which we normally used a basket hitch, occasionally a barrel hitch to tie the load on.
I miss those days and that life but what is it the Frenchman say? ce' la gere?
kootne