PDA

View Full Version : bullet hardness

dmboct19
04-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Hi to all, I am new to this site and cast bullet shooting and I would like some opinions. I ordered some .459, 300 grain cast bullets with a BHN of 18 and intend to load them at apprx. 1400-1600 fps velocity, does this sound ok, I want to make sure I don't lead up the bore. Does this seem to hard or to soft, I don't think it would be to soft but maybe to hard? Any advise appreciated, thank you.

craig61a
04-16-2014, 11:52 PM
I don't think you'll have to worry too much, but I guess the better question is - what do you intend to use the bullets for. There are other factors aside from bullet hardness that effect whether or not the bullet leads the bore. I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

dmboct19
04-17-2014, 07:22 AM
I am hoping to use the bullets for target shooting and possibly hunting.

mikeym1a
04-17-2014, 08:29 AM
What are your projectiles gonna be projected from? I'm no sage, plenty others here know more. But, are these projectiles for a muzzle loader, or what? are they gas checked? Lots of variables to be considered. Post the type of firearm, and you'll get better answers. With the sparse info you've given, the best I can say is 'Maybe'. Post the info, and someone will give a better answer. mikey

dmboct19
04-17-2014, 09:08 AM
The rifle is a single shot Swedish rolling block carbine in 45/70, smokeless powder centerfire, 22 inch barrel, bullets are not gas checked, thanks.

mikeym1a
04-18-2014, 08:53 AM
A basic question: Have you slugged the bore to see what size it wants? As several other guys on the site have said, fit is king. It is easier to slug the bore with a pure lead boolit. I would check that first, and then, it the boolit is +.001 over groove diameter, you can '...give it a shot...'. As you are new to casting there is another aspect to this type of shooting, called '..paper patching..'. I personally find the idea fascinating. I'm just into this for the past year, so am no expert, by any means. Besides the stickies you you see on the site, there is a book called ' The Paper Patch ' by Paul Matthews. It is based on his own experiences and research, and his favorite gun is the .45-70. You can get it off Amazon. mikey

craig61a
04-18-2014, 05:57 PM
I run WW (8-9 bhn) .460 lubed and checked through my Trapdoors, and I don't have any issues. My .460 mold has a gas check shank, but I shoot .41 Swiss plain base boolits lubed in my Vetterlis and don't have any issues. If you do plan on hunting you'd want to use a softer boolit. I have a Swede rolling block in 8x58R...