PDA

View Full Version : Old metal can of .30 cal Gas checks?

randyrat
01-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I found an old metal can of Hornady gas checks never opened,still sealed. I was thinking ; How old are these and should i just use them or are they worth more as an antique, maybe someone collects these. These have a number stamped on the 761, 30 cal, also says patend pending? I like the old can they are in.

randyrat
01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
My best guess is somewhere after1949, when they( Joyce Hornady & Vernon Speer) produced their first 30 cal bullet? Unless they produced these before they made bullets.

Newtire
01-03-2008, 10:05 AM
If I was you, I'd hold on to them for another 10-15 years if you have awhile left on the planet. I sometimes think about that WWII box of 9mm with Nazi markings that we tossed after firing them all off in my friend's "Linda". Wish I had all those Federal 12 ga. Hi-Power boxes with the mallard on it. Look on E-bay...

Shiloh
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I found an old metal can of Hornady gas checks never opened,still sealed. I was thinking ; How old are these and should i just use them or are they worth more as an antique, maybe someone collects these. These have a number stamped on the 761, 30 cal, also says patend pending? I like the old can they are in.

I'm curious, Is it the round sheet metal can with the red tape around the top??

Last year I got an unopened can on E-bay that I bought to use. Maybe I should hang onto it??

Shiloh :castmine:

NVcurmudgeon
01-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I started using Honady GC in 1973. My first GC came in the can, but when I went back for more they came in a box. I guess Hornady eliminated the can about 1975. Last year I bought a can of GC at a gun show for a good price, so doubt if there's any collector value yet.

454PB
01-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Who you calling old?

I have several of those metal cans, and some still have gas checks in them. Seems to me they were sold that way into the early 80's.

One box of gas checks I have is something I've never seen anywhere else. It's a cardboard box of Sierra .30 caliber gas checks, and still has the price on it.....$1.75.

crowbeaner
01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Who are YOU calling old? I'm still using 30 cal gaschecks right from the can. I have newer ones in the box, but I haven't used up the tins yet. I'm going to keep the cans for catchalls. I even have 2 cans of 270 cal unopened. There's some kind of fad right now to lable everything "vintage" and try to hook neophytes into paying beaucoup bucks for stuff. HAH!

randyrat
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
(I'm curious, Is it the round sheet metal can with the red tape around the top??

Last year I got an unopened can on E-bay that I bought to use. Maybe I should hang onto it??

Shiloh.)

Yep they are the round sheet metal can with the red tape.

Paul B
01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I've got four or five of those cans, new and unopened out in my shed. One can was .25 caliber and the rest were .30 caliber, $5.00 a can. I took 'em all.
Paul B.

EDG
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
At a gun show several years ago I bought a lot of ammo and components from a guy that did not know what they were worth. I got about 30 boxes of Norma ammo at $5/box. He gave me a box of 30 cal Ideal gas checks with a piece of newspaper stuffed into it for packaging materials. The paper was from a small town in Conn and was dated 1951.

Bent Ramrod
01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm going to use mine up. As soon as I've used up the ones I have in the gray cardboard boxes that have the little label that says "Ideal" on the outside with the caliber written in pencil. I will save the cans (and the boxes), though.