PDA

View Full Version : knob creek next year???

arjacobson
04-15-2014, 06:57 PM
I am planning on going to knob creek either this October or April of next year. Any tips on going there? My FIL and I are planning on a distillery tour-and a trip to springfield while we are on the road... Recommended places to stay/eat/etcetc??? Thanks a bunch...

MT Gianni
04-15-2014, 07:04 PM
I accompanied my nephew on his Senior trip. We stayed in Louisville, it was an easy commute. Also visited the Tank museum @ Ft Knox.

rjw1911
04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Make reservations early. Especially if you want a room close by. We usually stay at Baymont, or Quality in Brooks. One exit up I-65 from Shepherdville where KY 44 meets the Interstate. This year my friend that usually makes the reservations wasn't able to go so I did the chore. My other friends wanted to find something a little less than the hundred bucks a night, so I made reservations at a Super 8 in Shepherdsville. The other guys then backed out, and even though I contacted the motel six weeks before the event they would not refund my money!!! They wanted the whole payment up front, and refuse to refund my $300 even though I'm sure they rented the rooms. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody! So much for trying to save a buck.

gew98
04-15-2014, 07:52 PM
You can likely get a motel in brandenburg cheaper and there is a great mexican restaurant and one of the few good pizza places in kentucky there too. The Armor museum has been gone for way over a year.... a shell of itself when the Armor school went to Benning ( rumor is it's coming back to knox after hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars were spent moving it ) .

KYCaster
04-15-2014, 10:04 PM
I hate to sound like I'm dumping on Shepardsville, but that would be my last choice for a place to stay. There are some good motels and restaurants there, but Hwy 44 is a nightmare. You can get from I65/I265 in Louisville nearly as fast and its a much easier drive......30 min. vs. 35 min. Outback Steak House at I65/Outer Loop....Texas Road House at I65/Fern Valley Road....Waffle House at I65/Preston Hiway......all 5 min. north of I265.

Lots of motels and restaurants north on 31W in Valley Station and Pleasure Ridge Park......15 to 25 min. away.

Radcliff is 25 min. south on 31W. Several motels that fill up fast. Applebee's, Colton's Steak House, Los Nopales, Miguel's.....and U.S. Cavalry Store....they have some pretty good sales that week.

If I was doing the Bourbon tour at the same time I'd stay in Elizabethtown. 45 min. from I65/US62 to KCR, 35 min. to Bardstown and 20 min. up I65 to Jim Beam.....kinda the start of the "Bourbon Trail". If you're serious about this tour, allow at least two days. You can spend 5 or 6 hours just in Maker's Mark. If I only had one day....Maker's would be my first choice and Beam a close second. MM is about 40 min. from I65 in Loretto.

If you want the whole KCR experience you'll have to spend two days there. Get there before 8AM if you want a decent parking space without having to ride the shuttle bus. On Friday, try to see as many of the vendors under the barn roof as you can manage between the live fire demonstrations. Check out the rifle matches in the lower range if you're interested in that.....not much of a spectator sport unless you participate or have friends who do. If there's anything you want to buy, get it now, lots of it will be gone when you come back. Leave before you're exhausted, have a nice meal and get a good night's sleep.....you'll need it for Saturday.

Stuff yourself at breakfast and be back at the gate before 8AM Sat. You've already seen the live fire so see the rest of the vendors (400+). The sub-gun match is in the lower range and the pistol match is in the KPDL range...very interesting if you're into that kind of stuff. Catch another live fire show if you have the time.

If you brought a light snack with you, you can make it to about 4PM. Go back to the parking lot, set up your hibachi and cook a decent meal (the KCR food is barely edible), then take a nap. Be back on the range by 8PM. You have an hour to check out the things you want to see again, then start looking for a good place to see the night shoot. If you want a spot on top of the bunker you'll have to start earlier. The upper rows in the bleachers are OK.

If you want to see it again, hang around. If it isn't pouring down rain, they'll have to put out a couple of fires before they shoot again, so it will probably be 10PM before they start the last shoot. That means all the restaurants will be closed before you get out of the range. (I hope you like Waffle House)

I'll probably see you there in October.

Jerry

arjacobson
04-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Jerry- THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Bad Water Bill
04-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Make reservations early. Especially if you want a room close by. We usually stay at Baymont, or Quality in Brooks. One exit up I-65 from Shepherdville where KY 44 meets the Interstate. This year my friend that usually makes the reservations wasn't able to go so I did the chore. My other friends wanted to find something a little less than the hundred bucks a night, so I made reservations at a Super 8 in Shepherdsville. The other guys then backed out, and even though I contacted the motel six weeks before the event they would not refund my money!!! They wanted the whole payment up front, and refuse to refund my $300 even though I'm sure they rented the rooms. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody! So much for trying to save a buck.

Contact Corp headquarters and let them know of your troubles.

Also inform them your results will be posted on many websites AND at Knob Creek's bulletin board.

Many of the motels are independently owned but corp generally still carries a big stick.

KYShooter73
04-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Lodging and such will be easier to come by in October. The spring shoot usually falls around derby week and Thunder Over Louisville. Thunder is something to see too if you have the opportunity.

SODAPOPMG
04-17-2014, 09:55 AM
I am planning on going to knob creek either this October or April of next year. Any tips on going there? My FIL and I are planning on a distillery tour-and a trip to springfield while we are on the road... Recommended places to stay/eat/etcetc??? Thanks a bunch...
Take lots of cash money,then take still more money as the gun show at the creek is something else, cash is needed as most vendors cannot take cards because of the bad cell phone reception their, stay for the Saturday night shoot the later it gets the better it gets.
been going to the creek since 1986 always have a good time and end up broke when i leave

arjacobson
04-17-2014, 06:13 PM
That is exactly what I intend to do. I am in the market for some cut up parts kits. Looking forward to the trip!