PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 310 Q ??

HollandNut
04-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Are the 310 dies smaller bodied than the standard 7/8 -14 thread like my RCBS ??

If so is there an adapter that allows the larger dies to be used with the 310 tool ??

Outpost75
04-15-2014, 03:41 PM
There is an adapter so that 310 or TruLine Jr. dies can be used in presses with 7/8-14 thread, but the 310 tols are a 5/8" thread and you can't use the bigger dies in them.

Green Frog
04-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Are the 310 dies smaller bodied than the standard 7/8 -14 thread like my RCBS ??

If so is there an adapter that allows the larger dies to be used with the 310 tool ??

There have been few 310-style handles made with 7/8 x 14 die holes, but they are rather rare and expensive. I think Modern Bond made one of them, maybe in the '50s(??)

Froggie

starmac
04-20-2014, 12:29 AM
Isn't that basically what the lee hand loading tool is??

catskinner
04-20-2014, 08:22 AM
I once had a Modern Bond tong tool but it was not threaded 7/8 x 14. The threads were bigger than the Lyman 310 tool but I don't remember what size. Handles were a little longer and slightly thicker than the Lyman 310 and made of solid brass or bronze. I loaded 38 Special with it and it worked O.K. I also had a Modern Bond catolog from the 1920's but sold it and the tong tool to an antique tool collector for a lot more than I had paid for it.

SSGOldfart
04-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Isn't that basically what the lee hand loading tool is??
Yep I have one that uses 7/8x14 dies with a adapter you can use the 310dies

Green Frog
04-21-2014, 12:58 PM
I have owned and used both the 310 Tool and the Lee Hand Loading Tool. For most purposes the former does just as good as the latter and is quite a bit more compact and easily packed. The Lee Tool suffers from the fact that it is "neither fish nor fowl." It has the advantage of taking the full sized 7/8 X 14 dies and offering full length resizing, but like many of Lee's products it is somewhat cheaply made and under-engineered. When I decided I wanted to be able to perform these tasks I went on and bought the somewhat higher priced unit from Huntington that is more compact and stronger as well as just more ergonomic and elegant. If you want something to leave at the hunting cabin or carry in the car for occasional casual use, the Lee will suit your needs well, but if you are serious about compact, you want the 310 Tool, and if you want to do bench press reloading without a bench, look at the Huntington version. This is my personal opinion based on rather extensive use of all of the tools mentioned, YMMV.

Regards,
Froggie

Char-Gar
04-21-2014, 01:23 PM
I have been using the Lyman 5/8" dies for the 310/True-Line Jr tools for a very long time and they have worked well for me. The handgun sizing does can be had in neck/muzzle or full length, but the rifle sizing dies only come in neck sizing. If you can live with those limitations they work well.

Oh yes, you do not want to FL size handgun cases with the 310 tool..trust me on this one.

Wayne Smith
04-21-2014, 01:59 PM
+1 Froggie. I now have used each, and agree totally. The Huntington is clearly the best and also the most expensive.

HollandNut
04-21-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm looking at bench use , didn't realize Huntington made the set up

Thanks

Green Frog
04-21-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm looking at bench use , didn't realize Huntington made the set up

Thanks

HollandNut, if you plan on doing all of our loading on the bench, the smaller Lyman/Ideal dies would be an expensive affectation unless you are willing to go through a lot of odd parts bins etc. looking for deals... I started doing this 30 years ago and now I'm paying the same price for single pieces I used to pay for a baggy full of mixed dies! :(

I don't want to discourage anyone from collecting and using the 310 Tool/TruLine Jr family of dies... it would be hypocritical of me to do so, but be aware that is in unlikely to be a simple or an economical way to be reloading. Although I personally like to use my TruLine Jr for a couple of specific calibers (such as the cute little 32 S&W Long) or some antique calibers (just because I can) it's a collector's idiosyncrasy, not something being done out of practicality. [smilie=l:

Now if you are still interested, my idea of a basic "set" to use in a nice compact area would include a large and a small set of 310 tool handles and a late style TruLine Jr press. Then I would concentrate on getting the die sets for whatever calibers I planned to reload. If for pistol/revolver cartridges, I would want to get the TruLine die set for the full length sizing dies then add muzzle resizers for use with the 310 tools, and I would probably seek out the more economical 310 tool die sets for any rifle cartridges I was planning to load. Sometimes there is difficulty with the body length of some of the dies going back and forth between tong and press, but it usually will work out OK.

Probably this was more than any of you wanted to hear but you caught, for better or worse, in a chatty mood. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Froggie

HollandNut
04-22-2014, 12:55 AM
The last forty odd years I've collected more reloading equipment than is allowed probably ..

Only my brother has more ..

This is for the Lott on the bench and the 310 doesn't have Lott dies ..