PDA

View Full Version : P1917 30-06

Teddy (punchie)
04-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Seen a nice p17 sportier, scope and mounts good wood, cock on closing. $275.

How good do they shoot, going back Friday to maybe get it.

How hard to change to cock on opening?

Barrel had no light or glass. Looks good so far.

Any and all
Opinions welcome!!

Thanks !!

Teddy

georgerkahn
04-15-2014, 02:58 PM
A sage man once remarked that firearms are a lot like ladies -- even those who look alike all behave differently :), so it's hard for me to have any idea how this '17 may behave... I have four P1917s, all in .30-'06. None of mine had been sporterized -- and, were manufactured by Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone (I have two of these). One of the Eddystone's barrel is quite frosted, while the other three sport fair barrels. The frosted-one was my first purchase, and I was amazed at how well it shot! So much so, I came across another with a better barrel... and, the other two just begged me to buy them. And, I'm NOT at all sorry re any! Stock sights on all.
The cocking is no more difficult than, perhaps, the difference in backing up different brands of riding lawn-mower -- e.g., the "safety" buttons one must push so to do. (I occasionally have a surprise when I use my Wheel Horse after several sessions on the John Deere) After three shots, it comes "natural", and almost seems to make more sense than the cocking on, say, a 1903 of 1903a3.
My one and only "dis" of the 1917 is it's heft -- but, again, mine were not in any way sporterized -- and I use it for target at range, pretty exclusively. The rear sights took a bit of getting used to. But, they all create no problem in cocking, or shooting -- trigger is marvelous in all four I have -- and (which may not be saying much) they shoot better than I do! The action is so strong, tight, and well designed -- from what I've read, this is the reason (including the one you're looking at) many were sporterized, often even rechambered for different calibers.
Yours has a scope so the sight's not an issue... I'd surely have it in my collection... seems like a better-than-great price for it.
BEST!
geo

Wayne Smith
04-15-2014, 05:23 PM
At that price if you don't buy it tell me where it is!!

Char-Gar
04-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Cocking on closing is a feature some think is superior for a military rifle. The bolt lift doesn't have to cock the striker, so all energy is devoted to extracting the spent shell. This can be an advantage amid the dirty, grim and hurry of battle. It is not the least bit difficult to accustom oneself to a cock on closing bolt. I wouldn't waste time, energy nor money converting to a cock on opening design.

The US Model 1917 is a fine although unwieldy rifle and it as accurate as any other rifle of the time. Whether or not yours will shoot will depends on the individual rifle. Both of mine (Winchester and Remington) shoot very well.

Bullshop
04-15-2014, 07:21 PM
At that price if you don't buy it tell me where it is!!
There is one in swapping and selling at that price.

Mk42gunner
04-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Honestly, I think the whole "cocks on closing is bad" mantra was started by match shooters that wanted to ensure the Springfield stayed the only eligible rifle. It certainly came from the same era that decried all Mausers as "foreign junk."

Both Eddystone U.S. rifle Model of 1917 that I have had were sufficiently accurate for me. I would not waste time or money converting them to cock on opening.

What did you mean by this?
Barrel had no light or glass. Looks good so far.

Is the barrel still the original 26" or has it been cut down? If the bore looks good and the sporter stock fits you it sounds like a decent deal to me.

Robert

Charley
04-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Have an Eddystone sporter, and a straight military Eddystone. Both shoot well. I prefer them to 1903's honestly. Guess I'll duck the rocks now.

Char-Gar
04-16-2014, 04:37 PM
It is a small thing or maybe it is not, but the British Pattern 1914 rifle in 303 British is known as the P14. There are no P17s or P1917s. These rifles are the U.S. Model of 1917. There is so much careless and erroneous information out there about firearms, it behooves us serious rifle guys to be more precise.

Scharfschuetze
04-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Teddy,

I've had good luck getting my 1917s to shoot well. They are hell for stout rifles with the exception of the ejector. I've seen several with broken ejectors and in fact I just received a replacement ejector in the mail last week for my Winchester produced 1917.

I might also suggest looking down the bore before buying. Many that I've seen over the years, including one that a family member brought back from France in 1918, had bores looking more like sewer pipe than rifled barrels from the corrosive ammo used in them during their service and post service life.

Mine are all GI, so I'm fine with the cock on closing, but if I had a sporterized version of the 1917, I'd certainly consider converting it to cock on opening. To each his own and only you can decide how you want to set your rifle up.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Based on my examination of how they did the cock on opening conversion, I wouldn't use it. It sets up a scenario where you can close the bolt and potentially fire off a cartridge. I like cock on opening, but not enough to risk an accidental discharge. No Siree....

Hardcast416taylor
04-16-2014, 09:47 PM
I`d talk with a decent gunsmith about what exactly would need to be done to convert to cock on opening. I seem to remember the safety needed working on also. I have both models, the P14 and the 1917. I like them as they are. I`m always looking for "BUBBA`ed models for their actions only to make a higher quality sporter out of what was ruined by someone with a hacksaw.Robert

Le Loup Solitaire
04-16-2014, 11:36 PM
I have 4 of the 1917's and have enjoyed shooting them for years. As long as one pays attention and does not sight in on one of the front sight ears, things go well. My only complaint is that they did not make any arrangement for windage....can't believe that they skipped over that. LLS

rondog
04-17-2014, 12:02 AM
I can't think of any good reason to "convert" it. All my Lee-Enfields cock on closing, I'd never dream of jacking with them to "fix" them. Ain't broke, don't "fix it".

Lonegun1894
04-17-2014, 12:54 AM
I have had three 1917s, and they all shot well. I sold them because they were sporterized, but I still want one that is "as issued", like the 1914 I have.

Teddy (punchie)
04-18-2014, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all the input.

Like every thing things get nic names Thus the P17 . Maybe it was something I heard years ago.

Barrel , Had no light, eyes are going far sighted. So I now use light and 10 power magnifying glass. Boy I can see all the pits and rust marks with the glass.

Have the parts to change One 1917 to cock on opening. Bought years ago for the GI 1917 I have.
Tried to change the firing pin and safety but it would not work, so I switched it back, Just cleaned bore On that old girl she looks 98 % or better, No marks at all.
I asked because years ago I tested 7 different loads ( 3 shots per load ) out of her and didn't find any closer then say 1.5 to 3" groups at 100 Yds. Was a mount from Paris Guns or somethings close to that, in Erie PA. one you could take sight off and screw this mount on.

Also have a 300 Imp. that barrel is just about gone but shoots about 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yds. But she is moving the 150 SPBT at 3100-3200 ft. per. sec. cold first shot group is around an 1". It is cock on open and I like it better then the cock on close.

Thanks !!

Teddy

Shooter6br
04-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Mine is a sporter ( I bought it that way) It has the orginal 5 grove barrel....so what? The bore is .300 the grove is about .311. Many were re barrelled to a 2 grove or 4 grove for WW II . bore .300 groove .308 No big deal . i use an Accurate 314299 clone sized .313...Shoots well .PS with a 5 groove barrel you need a speciacl micrometer to measure...102635 $199 with Weaver scope

UBER7MM
04-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Shooter6BR,

That's a fine looking sportzer!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Shooter6BR,

That's a fine looking sportzer!

I agree totally. If you're going to do a "sporter," then do a proper sporter, finish it properly and get a genuine aftermarket stock that looks like something. So when you're done, it doesn't look like a hacksaw job. That rifle looks like a hunting rifle now, not a bubba hack job.

opos
04-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Here's an interesting little addition to the discussion..Wincester and Remington were both loaded down with spare parts as the war ended...they began to make guns (sporters) for many outlets..I have a 1917 Winchester 30-06 from Sears...Remington also made the model 30 (or maybe it was the 31) which looked almost exactly like my Sears. They were shortened, rounded the ears off, tapped and drilled (and often sold with a scope)...nice Bishop style stock..blind magazine..nice recoil pad. These were great guns and they were for sale everywhere...barrels full in the corner.
Sears moved from the 1917 to a Mauser and then to a Model 70 as the action they restocked and sold..it was all to compete with the cheap influx of milsurps hitting the market.

Three44s
04-19-2014, 08:07 AM
I don't dislike my "cock on closing" M1917 .......... I like it and won't have it changed.

Best regards

Three 44s

frnkeore
04-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Remington also made the model 30 (or maybe it was the 31) which looked almost exactly like my Sears.

It was the Model 30. Excellent rifles!! They also cock on closing.

Here is mine, in 30 Remington.

And my sporterized P14, I don't have a standard or sporterized M1917 :(

skeettx
04-20-2014, 05:12 PM
I have a P-14 but mine is in 45-70 and it does now have the cock on
opening feature and does quite well
Mike

goofyoldfart
04-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Three44's : YOU ARE SO RIGHT. If you have to fire fast with a bolt gun, it is much easier to have a cock on closing. I don't like cock on open. My .02 cents worth. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy aka Godfrey

madsenshooter
04-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Here is mine, in 30 Remington.

So much gun, so little cartridge! You'd have a hard time overloading that one!

atr
04-25-2014, 11:04 AM
I had a Remington (1917 action) in 30-06 and kick myself because I sold it....it was very accurate, a very stable platform. Some of the "sporterized" military are truly clunky and ugly but the action/barrel itself are worth having.

Char-Gar
04-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Back in the day, I have a Remington 30-S in 25 Remington. It was a massive action for such a round. This was the first true MOA rifle I ever owned and killed lots of game with it. In a fit of stupidity, I traded it off in some long forgotten gun trade. That was really dumb, but in those days it was just a $40.00 old rifle in an obsolete cartridge for which ammo was not made.