PDA

View Full Version : That classic connundrum. . . .

abqcaster
04-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Do I buy more components which will cost as much as a new(to me at least) gun, or buy another gun? :D Me and my gun aficionado problems....

woodsxdragon
04-15-2014, 11:44 AM
man can never have enough guns... plus you may use up those components while the guns gonna keep its value. Think of its as a long term investment. At least thats what I told the wife

Pb2au
04-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Would the theoretical new gun be chambered in something you currently load for?
If no, then you will be buying both...
If you are chugging through a lot of components currently, and have the means to improve on your supplies, then perhaps you should build up your stocks. It is not likely they are going to get any cheaper.
But,
New guns are always fun.

Here is what I suggest. Send me the money that is burning a hole in your pocket and I will "invest" it for you. :kidding:

abqcaster
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Tell ya what Pb2au, I'll send you my bank account info and you can optimize the whole thing for me. On the other had a widow from Nigeria just promised me "riches" if I can help her transfer her dead uncle's fortune to my stateside account. [smilie=l:

abqcaster
04-15-2014, 11:59 AM
It is not likely they are going to get any cheaper.

That's where I'm leaning at the moment.

Pb2au
04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
You got it.
I also have some very nice bridges I will be putting up for sale soon if anyone is interested.......

All joking aside, it is an interesting question. Add another gun to the stable, or build up the reloading supplies. At the beginning of this year, I had decided to just concentrate on the guns I have and get really serious about making some good work with them.
Then I ran onto a 1898 Krag rifle last month at an excellent price,,,,so it came home with me.
Then i bought dies and brass for it.....

In the end, I am working with the new rifle a bit, but am still picking up supplies at any time I find them. Components are the heartbeat of the hobby. We make our projectiles, but I still need powder and primers. So I make sure I have some depth of supplied in that regard first.

searcher4851
04-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Buy components in large quantities. With the money you save by buying in large quantities, you'll save enough to buy a new gun.
You see, components are like food. They're consumables that you must buy to keep you going. Showing fiscal responsibility by saving money buying in bulk, earns you the right to treat yourself every once in a while by buying a new gun. It's not unlike saving money buy buying food in bulk, and eating at home earns you the right to treat yourself every once in a while to dinner out.
That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.

abqcaster
04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Buy components in large quantities. With the money you save by buying in large quantities, you'll save enough to buy a new gun.
You see, components are like food. They're consumables that you must buy to keep you going. Showing fiscal responsibility by saving money buying in bulk, earns you the right to treat yourself every once in a while by buying a new gun. It's not unlike saving money buy buying food in bulk, and eating at home earns you the right to treat yourself every once in a while to dinner out.
That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.

Goodness, I wish my wife would buy that line of reasoning! :D

Bad Water Bill
04-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Well I bought just a few guns YEARS ago.

A like new (possibly never fired)9 MM Hi power for $65.00.

The same price for a Luger and a DCM 1911.

Then there was a model 99 in 22 hi power for $25.00 with 4 boxes of ammo.

Yes that was way back then but if I had left the money in the bank uncle sam would have taxed me on the interest till they would have collected way more than I had spent.

He did not get any tax money but I can still take them to the range any time I choose and when I am gone my heirs will have some fun remembering Dad,Grandpa and even Great Grandfather when ever they exercise them puppies.

And yes one has been in the family for about 100 years.

starmac
04-15-2014, 01:38 PM
If a guy is running low on components, you may need to go that route, but on the other hand I tell my wife a gun is the same or better than having it in a savings account. Of coarse lately, so is components. lol

FredBuddy
04-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Superb financial and philosophical analysis, folks !

Just what I've come to expect here.

searcher4851
04-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Goodness, I wish my wife would buy that line of reasoning! :D

I sometimes wonder if that kind of reasoning is why I have an Ex-wife. lol

762 shooter
04-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Components are money for all practical purposes. None of my components have spoiled, but I hear some do. Just rotate your stock and you will be alright. Just think if you had bought a couple of pallets of 22LR 5 years ago.

Any of my components could be sold for considerably more than I paid for them. I firmly believe that components will never be cheaper than.....now......no now.....no now.

Bad Water Bill
04-15-2014, 03:33 PM
I bought a brick of CCI primers in 65 or so for 3.99.

I wonder what a head of lettuce bought back then would taste or smell like now.

The primers still go BANG:bigsmyl2:

jcwit
04-15-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm still buying guns, even tho I'm past 70. Just purchased another one last week.

Components? Not so much, have more than I'll ever use, maybe!

koehn,jim
04-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I would buy more componets, a new weapon is useless without ammo.

JeffinNZ
04-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Components every time. I'd rather have one gun and LOTS of components than lots of guns and no ammo. EG: the current rimfire situation.

shooter93
04-15-2014, 06:28 PM
If you have enough guns to suit your present NEEDS...not wants....then buy components and shoot the ones you have. I rarely buy guns any more and since selling one for me is even more rare they aren't an investment. I'll have them till I die and then they are 100% profit to the person they are willed to. An investment implies i'll later sell the object at a profit and hopefully higher than what I could have made elsewhere. With guns....that's not very likrely for me.

Frank46
04-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Heck, I've got dies,brass and loaded ammo if I ever come up with a nice whatever in 35 rem. Frank

Doc Highwall
04-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I agree with a couple of other posters that a gun with lots of components can be used vs. a lot of guns without components would only make nice museum displays, might as well look at a picture of a gun in a history book.

BNE
04-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Guns that go "CLICK" are less fun than guns that go "BANG".

If in doubt, I vote to "Stabilize" what I currently have. ie buy components.

Ickisrulz
04-15-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't have a whole lot of guns compared to some people on this site. Less than 25. I shoot 2 or 3 times each week in my backyard. I am often left with the feeling that I'd like to shoot a whole lot more while at the same time knowing there are guns I hardly ever shoot. I suppose that means I vote for buy more components if you can find them and shoot more (that is my goal). Enjoy what you already have unless you have a need for a new gun. How many guns you don't shoot much is enough? I think I am there.

HeavyMetal
04-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Lets keep in mind that many cites have limits on what you can store in the way of gun powder and primers, 50 lbs is usually the limit here in LA out in the sticks you may be able to do more without drawing attention but if you have a problem then the harsh light of day can make things "ugly" and quick!

So my suggestion is max your "allowable" storage, make legal storage whenever possible, and then buy guns!

I am not sure if the primer requirements are the same as powder, usually see only powder in fire code flyers but I store those seperately.

Hope that helps!

starmac
04-16-2014, 01:49 AM
I store my fire code flyers seperately too, just makes sense. lol

selmerfan
04-16-2014, 11:31 AM
I had a friend give me two pounds of unopened Hercules Bullseye canisters and 3200 once-fired pieces of 9mm brass. I decided this was enough to justify the purchase of a K38 Masterpiece, as the 9mm netted me $110 and the Bullseye is enough for 5000 rounds or so. Now to go buy the SPP down at the LGS for $35/1000 and I'm set for a looonnnnggg time. But if you need components, buy components! I have plenty of components except for SPP, so I'm going to enjoy my gun. And I received over 2000 rounds of .22LR last week for about $.08/round shipped to my door... It's been a good month in my man cave. :)

762 shooter
04-19-2014, 09:22 AM
If you have plenty of components you will always be able to wait for good deals on more components and/or firearms.

Negotiate from a position of strength.

Now relax and repeat.

Ooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm.

Petrol & Powder
04-19-2014, 09:38 AM
I look at components as expendable supplies and guns/tools as durable goods. With that mindset, I'll purchase small amounts of components over time while trying to save money for the future purchase of big ticket items. I find it's easier for me to spend money on things that I will only buy once (dies, molds, tools, etc.) than it is to let money go for things that I have to continuously replace (powder, primers, lead). The key to getting a good deal on a firearm is to have the cash on hand when you spot that good deal. So I wait for the right gun & deal to come along and seldom go out just to buy a gun.
Works for me, YMMV

Petrol & Powder
04-19-2014, 09:39 AM
If you have plenty of components you will always be able to wait for good deals on more components and/or firearms.

Negotiate from a position of strength............

/\ very sound advice.

abqcaster
04-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all your help, folks. I got components to last me through another scare. ( I hope!) I'll be putting somebody's kid at Powder Valley through college. :D

Catshooter
04-25-2014, 11:07 PM
I think that the next shortage is just around the corner.

Hitlery is going to run, and as soon as she announces that's when the shortage will begin.

I'm trying to plan accordingly and it's not easy or cheap. But I saw the saw the last two coming. I could certainly be wrong but I think she's going to run.

Cat

starmac
04-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Exactly when did the last shortage end??? It is hit and miss here on powder and primers, heavy on the miss and has been for a looooong time.

Four-Sixty
04-26-2014, 04:55 AM
I think the growth in the demand for firearms will slow, someday. If shooting catches on with even a small number of new firearms owners, forget components being readily available any time soon.

I shoot at a public range. The last year or so it has always been busy!

What if any of the major manufacturers have to shut down their production lines for a few weeks to retool, or God forbid, they have an accident at a major plant? It could start a new panic.

Hey, lots of components makes it easier to share your hobby with others.

Bad Water Bill
04-26-2014, 11:51 AM
When they nominated RONALD REGAN, many complained "he is to old".

Now lets see how the same party puts a spin on their next candidate who looks a lot older but is only 2 years younger than President Regan was.

Garyshome
04-26-2014, 01:44 PM
A NEW gun is just a club without ammo!

abqcaster
04-29-2014, 12:08 PM
A NEW gun is just a club without ammo!
Agreed!

a.squibload
04-30-2014, 12:09 AM
Both, if possible.

I finally bought a 9mm 'cause I never had one before and the price was right,
of course I had to go buy ammo. Have lots of empty 9mm brass and a couple of molds
used for swaging 40s, loading 380s & 38s. 'Course now I need another die set, etc.

A friend said I should have at least one gun in each caliber so that whatever ammo is available
I'll be able to use it. That's my excuse anyway.
You can never have enough components, can always use 'em for trade too.