PDA

View Full Version : Looking for turret or progressive press,In Central Texas..thinking Dillon

booger7777
04-15-2014, 11:16 AM
I live in Milam County, in Central Texas and I am looking to start reloading...I need .38,.9mm,.223 and 30-30 and possibly others in future. I have a budget and am leaning toward the Dillon 550B. Anyone with info on good source in this area? Will consider used equip. if I can see it...

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-15-2014, 05:30 PM
My suggestion to you, if you're interested in dillon and willing to buy used equipment, is to talk to Alvarez Kelly on this forum and see what he has available first. If he has a goodly amount of stuff to outfit the press you want, then commit to that press and buy his stuff. He's got reasonable prices and he's easy to deal with.

Then google 550 for sale and see if you can catch someone who's selling one at below retail. Stay away from ebay.

Finally, if you can't find one for sale used, then go to Brian Enos for new. His customer service is excellent and prices are a bit cheaper than buying direct from Dillon.

If you find your budget is extremely tight, the only turret press I would recommend is a Lee Classic Cast Turret fully decked out with all the goodies. They are easy to reload on, reasonable amount of ammo output and take any brand of dies. Get the Pro Auto Disk powder measures and a used RCBS Uniflow with a Hornady case activated powder drop and you should be set for everything. Used dies in the swap & sell should get you going.

BTW, the dies and the powder measures will work on any press.

runfiverun
04-15-2014, 09:14 PM
dave gives you good advice...

I have looked at the turret presses just to move things along a little better, but come to the realization that there are other tools that will maintain quality and raise production.
they also allow me to concentrate on the steps of reloading and case prep.

one is a progressive press.
it's fast because it does everything at once.
which means you need to be familiar with all the steps involved to keep up.

unfortunately just like with cars,,,, speed is only a matter of money.

gunoil
04-15-2014, 09:37 PM
yep 550b

Daddyfixit
04-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Welcome to the form!
You didn't mention what experience you have so please don't take offence but I wouldn't recommend starting with a progressive.
I have 2 550B's and love them. When I started reloading I got an RCBS Rockchucker and glad I did. I learned how to reload safe and correct. I still use it for small runs and some rifle calibers. It made my transition to the 550B much easier and looking back on it the learning curve would have been frustrating...

bigblockbill
04-16-2014, 11:50 PM
There was a pretty decent deal on a RL550 on eBay today. It is still there for 300 and 25 for shipping. It looks complete and has a set of 7mm dies. I know those were not ones you wanted but you could probably sell them or trade them. Looks like a good price and Dillon will rebuild it for free.

Walter Laich
04-17-2014, 12:14 PM
If/when you look at Dillon remember that the SDB (square deal B) does not reload rifle rounds.
....just saying....