PDA

View Full Version : mzl coach gun vs normal mzl shotgun

nekshot
04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
I have a simple question I made confused on the shotgun section. Will a 20 inch open cyl coach gun shoot much worse than a 28 inch open cyl gun? Sorry but at times I can be reached at 1-800-get baffled!

Omnivore
04-15-2014, 02:12 PM
No. You'll get slightly less velocity, all else being equal, but very little difference otherwise. "All else being equal" is the key point there. More important would be the way it fits you, and its overall quality.

I heard some good advice a long time ago, in a discussion of musical instruments, and I think it applies well in other fields;
"Buy what you like". If you stop liking it later, you can always sell it and get something else. Take good care of it and it won't lose much value. Buy low, sell high, and all that, etc. No reason to be baffled.

johnson1942
04-15-2014, 06:44 PM
been thinking of makeing a mountain mans repas gun for my next winters project. probably a 20 gauge loaded with brass nails held together with masking tape over a felt wad. 18 inch barrel and pistol grip. walk with me when i walk in mountain lion country or drive long distances as a companion in the riders seat. is that what you are talking about?

nekshot
04-15-2014, 07:15 PM
I have this 28 inch 16 ga double barrel (barrel only)choked mod and full and I want to turn it into a front stuffer. I didn't want to go cutting it shorter till I settle the choke issue with short vs longer. I am sure I will go as short as practical when all is done.

johnson1942
04-15-2014, 08:51 PM
i think their has been a lot of posts in the past on what you are doing, all so try you tube. i know ive seen infor some where on just that.

DIRT Farmer
04-15-2014, 10:59 PM
When you get it breached and mounted in the gun, load and shoot it, you might have what you want. If you sleeve the chambers they will be full length, but if you cut the breach back to the front of the chambers there is three inches gone. A decent shotgun smith should have choke reamers to open the barrels if you need it.

Hellgate
04-16-2014, 01:26 PM
The shorter barrels will make it a little harder to hit flying birds and reduce your velocity some. You may want to go to FFFg for shorter barrels. Generally FFg is used in ML shotguns and the long barrels allow for full combustion of the powder and better swing for aerial targets. For shooting stationary targets or ground sluicing barrel length isn't going to matter as long as you know where it hits, what loads give the best patterns and are easiest to reload. I would tend to leave the barrels long. You can always cut them later.

starmac
04-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Cutting up a 16 gauge double, has to be some kind of sin.

nekshot
04-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Yup starmac I agree! The term sweet sixteen was not only meant for brownings in my book.

Geraldo
04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
been thinking of makeing a mountain mans repas gun for my next winters project. probably a 20 gauge loaded with brass nails held together with masking tape over a felt wad. 18 inch barrel and pistol grip.

I read years ago that the SEALs in Vietnam tried 12ga flechette rounds, which they abandoned in favor of #4 buck. You might want to check into that before you count on brass nails.

Back to the original question. I've got a 16ga Stevens SBS. I really couldn't see any reason to cut it down, as it's light and handy as it is. Since you only have barrels, you might want to consider the cost of this project. By the time you get locks, stock, breech, etc, you could probably buy an old CVA and just cut it down to what you want.

swathdiver
04-17-2014, 11:07 PM
I read years ago that the SEALs in Vietnam tried 12ga flechette rounds, which they abandoned in favor of #4 buck.

Yep, #4 Buck for their Ithaca 37s, nothing cleared a hootch better, especially with the duckbills on the end of the barrel.

dondiego
04-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Describe the duckbills please. Not familiar with them.