PDA

View Full Version : .30 carbine powder die to expans 30-30? on a Dillon 550b

Throckmorton
01-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I bought a .30 carbine powder die from Dillon because I had heard that you could use it to bell 30-30 cases.Would be handy with gas checked .
The Dillon guy had heard that too.

I'm just now trying to use it,and don't see h ow that taller case can work with the standard sized powder die 'body' , and the long 30-30 case.I can't get full handle throw on the press it would appear.

I"ll go and keep trying but if anybody's acturally done this,let me know.

one problem I see is that stick powders aren't gonna flow thur that small hole in the powder die.I think I called Dillon about that and they agreed.
Not a problem with my powders of choice.

I know you don't 'have' to flare them I just want to.[smilie=1:

Thanks for the help!

hicard
01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Just use a neck expander die to flare the case after you dispense powder in station 2 flare the case in station 3 and seat the bullet and crimp on station 4.

Throckmorton
01-02-2008, 10:47 PM
no can do as I use a seperate roll crimper for these bullets.
I can actually get them started ok if I go slow and hang onto them,but what I'm trying to do is 'supposed' to work.

I do chamfer the mouths a bit so it's do-able as is.luckily.

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
01-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Throckmorton,
I was able to flare the case mouth on a .308 Win case which is 2.015" long, but only a few threads of the powder die were in the toolhead. With the 30-30 case at 2.0395" long there would be even less threads in the toolhead. Could you use a Lyman .30 short internal expanding "M" die in station 1 to flare the case mouth? Or shorten the Dillon "C" powder funnel by cutting off part of the top and recut the bevel? Let us know what works.

Adam10mm
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
According to the manual, the 30 Carbine takes a C funnel and the 30-30 takes a B funnel.

JSH
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
According to the manual, the 30 Carbine takes a C funnel and the 30-30 takes a B funnel.

yup, very true but the 30-30 funnel will not bell the case as he is wanting to do.

I had called and talked to them about this very thing a while back. As to belling a bottle neck case, they were in the dark as to CB's for the most part. I think with a bit of fooling around one could make it work though.
Jeff

Throckmorton
01-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I havn't found a way to make it work,so I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.At least I know that that works.:Fire:

Thanks for listening.

garandsrus
01-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Throckmorton,

I use a Lyman M die to expand .30 cal... I also use a Lee universal expander for other calibers.

On the Dillon 550 I resize and load in two different operations, on two different tool heads. While I size and deprime the cases in station one as normal, I then use the expander die in any of the other stations. After removing the lube and trimming the cases I can load them in the normal way without having to re-expand the case mouth.

The amount that the case mouth is expanded still allows it to fit in the powder die mouth. The slightly expanded mouth doesn't affect trimming either.

I only expand the mouth enough so that the gas check can enter the case neck and the boolit can stand by itself. There really isn't a bell like you would get on a pistol case.

This is a very convenient way to add a "fifth" station to the 550!

John

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2008, 06:53 AM
could you trim some of the top of the 30 carbine powder funnel off to alloy for the longer cartridge. It would take much to gain you a few more threads. Kind opposite of the trick i use to make 41 special dies out of my 41 mag dies.

garandsrus
01-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Lloyd,

You could trim the die but would need to recut the groove and the taper.

John