PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown .45 AP barrels

Blackwater
04-14-2014, 11:25 PM
I noticed that Ed Brown's barrels for the 1911 are advertised as having deeper rifling than most std. barrels. This should be a tad better for lead, I'd think. But, has anyone who's used them got any info on whether they hold the rifling with cast any better than std. stock-type barrels? The reason I ask is that I'd really like to use some softer alloys if I get a HP mould, which I'm thinking hard on doing for it (Lyman Devastator).

Any experience/insight you have is appreciated. I've never had any trouble getting cast to shoot in my 1911's, but who among us isn't always looking for something better, or some slight edge?

PbHurler
04-15-2014, 06:56 AM
I don't know exactly what "standard barrel rifling" is but; I have two 1911's, both Ed Browns and they have both been phenominal with cast. Bbls are shiny & beautiful assuming you're using compatable alloys for the intended speeds & pressures.

Both Browns love the NOE 230gr RN's & Mihec's 200gr SWC's; both of which have been very accurate. Never had a feed issue either.

Hope this helps....

nicholst55
04-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Kart barrels also work very well with cast. The Bar-Sto barrel I have seems to do better with j-words.

Mk42gunner
04-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Any experience/insight you have is appreciated. I've never had any trouble getting cast to shoot in my 1911's, but who among us isn't always looking for something better, or some slight edge?

If it makes you feel more confident, go for it. I have never personally had any problems with cast in the .45 ACP, except for a bit of leading when I was still using the commercial "hardcast" with crayon lube.

One of my friends did manage to split a commander length comped barrel. I do not remember where it was from for sure, but it wasn't an Ed Brown.

Robert

bobthenailer
04-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Over the years i have installed several of my 1911s with aftermarket match barrels ! 2- Kart , 2- Clark, 2- Nowlin, and a Heine , all shoot cast with no problems of any kind.

zomby woof
04-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Kart barrels also work very well with cast. The Bar-Sto barrel I have seems to do better with j-words.

Shot Bullseye years ago. State champ said Kart for lead Barsto for copper

williamwaco
04-15-2014, 09:19 PM
I am sure they are very good barrels and you will not be dissapointed with them.

BUT.

I have owned at least two dozen 1911 .45s over the past 50 years. They all had "regular" barrels and they all shot BNH 8 to 9 bullets just fine.

If there is an edge to be had it is not from deeper rifling griping the soft bullet better.

Try what you have before you spend $185 just to try it out.