PDA

View Full Version : BADDEST Brownies In The WORLD!

DougGuy
04-14-2014, 08:58 PM
This is an EASY one!

1box Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix.
1jar Maraschino Cherries (10oz)
1 1/2Cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2Cup Canola oil
1 large egg

Mix together 1/2 cup oil, 1 egg, and the juice from the cherries (OMIT the 1/4 cup of water called for on the box, the cherry juice takes it's place).

Mix in brownie mix (it will be lumpy because there are chocolate chips in the mix).

Mix in cherries and pecans.

Pour into pre-greased 6x9 or 8x8 glass baking dish, bake at 325° for 60mins then check with toothpick in center. The center, about 3/4" underneath the top will be the last part to bake, so when your toothpick comes out halfway clean, take brownies out and lift up a piece in the center and check for doneness 3/4" down. When done, let sit and cool a bit, and enjoy while they are still warm!

Got milk?

Going to edit this and toss up some pics..

The two reasons that baking time has to be longer is the more stuff (nuts and cherries) you add, and it has to be longer if you use a smaller baking dish because the batter is a lot deeper. Baking time on this batch turned out to be almost an hour and a half, where the box only called for 40mins, but you can see the mixture is fully 2" deep in the dish, so you have to allow for that during baking.

Batter pretty much filling the dish:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/DSC01982_zps6f19cf9c.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/DSC01982_zps6f19cf9c.jpg.html)

After 1hr, they LOOK done, but 3/4" down in the center is still unbaked batter, which you can see on a toothpick, and the batter on the toothpick comes out just barely warm, you know it has to stay in there quite a bit more. This part will FOOL you, so lift a piece in the center, and verify that it is done in the center, and that the toothpick comes out clean.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/DSC01983_zps73d2fd38.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/DSC01983_zps73d2fd38.jpg.html)

After 1hr 25mins, these are done in the middle, and ready to come out. Notice that they don't look terribly different from the 1hr mark, where they were only done on the edges, not in the middle.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/DSC01984_zpsa2688118.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/DSC01984_zpsa2688118.jpg.html)

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2014, 06:08 AM
got to agree Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix is the best mix on the market. I like the carmel swirl kind with some pecans or walnuts added. I even sneak and at some white chocolate chips to the mix but i have to sneek because my wife says she doesnt like them. She never knows the difference though. I figure bakings her job and if im going to do it i do it my way ;)

woodsxdragon
04-15-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm gonna have to see if i can have the wife make these. Sounds really good.
she maks some kind of brownies that are half cookie and half brownie. excellent.

gtgeorge
04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Passing this on to the wife to see what she thinks about making up a batch. I am not so fond of cherries though.

Changeling
04-15-2014, 03:33 PM
That just plain sounds awesome. I have to lay off the sweets, but my Son will tear those things up, LOLAL.

Is it really necessary for the " Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix", I just called my son and he says he has never heard of it. Where do you get it from?

Dale in Louisiana
04-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I always substitute strong coffee for any water in a brownie box recipe. I'm going to have to try this one.

dale in Louisiana

dragonrider
04-15-2014, 09:55 PM
That looks like a 20 milligram shot for me, but I am sure it is worth it.

Lloyd Smale
04-16-2014, 06:32 AM
local supermarket up here in the sticks sells them so id about bet you can find them locally.
That just plain sounds awesome. I have to lay off the sweets, but my Son will tear those things up, LOLAL.

Is it really necessary for the " Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate brownie mix", I just called my son and he says he has never heard of it. Where do you get it from?

DougGuy
04-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Ghiradelli makes about 3 or 4 different chocolate brownie mixes, dark chocolate being one of them. Our stores here have this annoying habit of stocking SOME of a certain product, but not all flavors of it. The one cheaper store close to me has Ghiradelli, all the chocolate flavors EXCEPT the dark chocolate. The high end Harris Teeter has the dark chocolate, but doesn't have two of the other chocolate flavors. Go figure..

The Ghiradelli dark chocolate -is- a very intensely chocolatey brownie, I will give it credit for that. The other Ghiradelli mixes will make brownies, you could even use Betty Crocker just leave out some of the liquid and substitute it with the juice in the maraschino cherries.

Changeling
04-27-2014, 03:08 PM
This question is from my Son, he asked me to ask you guys if anyone had made DougGuy's brownie recipe and if so, how did it go?

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2014, 07:25 AM
i like the turtle mix with carmel and nuts!!!
Ghiradelli makes about 3 or 4 different chocolate brownie mixes, dark chocolate being one of them. Our stores here have this annoying habit of stocking SOME of a certain product, but not all flavors of it. The one cheaper store close to me has Ghiradelli, all the chocolate flavors EXCEPT the dark chocolate. The high end Harris Teeter has the dark chocolate, but doesn't have two of the other chocolate flavors. Go figure..

The Ghiradelli dark chocolate -is- a very intensely chocolatey brownie, I will give it credit for that. The other Ghiradelli mixes will make brownies, you could even use Betty Crocker just leave out some of the liquid and substitute it with the juice in the maraschino cherries.

Dale in Louisiana
05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
This question is from my Son, he asked me to ask you guys if anyone had made DougGuy's brownie recipe and if so, how did it go?

I made it. Made one small change, adding some espresso coffee powder to the liquid. This is a horrible, horrible recipe for a guy who's supposed to be trying to drop some pounds.

Fresh out of the oven, a big glass of ice cold milk - prescription for disaster.

dale in Louisiana

Changeling
05-06-2014, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=Dale in Louisiana;2767268]I made it. Made one small change, adding some espresso coffee powder to the liquid. This is a horrible, horrible recipe for a guy who's supposed to be trying to drop some pounds.

Fresh out of the oven, a big glass of ice cold milk - prescription for disaster".

So Dale, or you saying you didn't like it or what? It's for my son, not me, he wants to know. Adding expresso powder is NOT a small change, that stuff is harsh. With that much of a change it's a completely different recipe!

Dale in Louisiana
05-06-2014, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=Dale in Louisiana;2767268]I made it. Made one small change, adding some espresso coffee powder to the liquid. This is a horrible, horrible recipe for a guy who's supposed to be trying to drop some pounds.

Fresh out of the oven, a big glass of ice cold milk - prescription for disaster".

So Dale, or you saying you didn't like it or what? It's for my son, not me, he wants to know. Adding expresso powder is NOT a small change, that stuff is harsh. With that much of a change it's a completely different recipe!

Loved 'em. A definite 'do this again'. You don't have to do the espresso powder. I used a heaping teaspoon, but I live for coffee. I think the recipe will be fine without it.

dale in Louisiana

DougGuy
05-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Heh, like the topic says, baddest brownies in the world! The worst part is, once you make them, it's like no matter how hard you swear them off, you -know- you will make them again..

Now.. One thing that makes me curious, would be adding 1 tsp of chili powder to the dry mix. The reasoning behind this, the taste buds on the back of your tongue and back part of the roof of your mouth are the taste buds that register really good chocolate, it lingers, and the finish is long and fruity, almost citrusy in nature. Chili, on the other hand, registers on the same taste buds, as you swallow it you get that "chili" taste on the back of your tongue, and many chefs know to use some chocolate in their chili, I do, because it subliminally excites those same taste buds. You can't taste chocolate in chili, but your brain registers it, and the chili just tastes eff'n killer! It's a known secret weapon.

Soooo.. What if you used just enough chili powder to do the same thing, not enough to taste it or even perceive any heat. Think it would have that subliminal effect? I like those bars of chocolate with chili pepper in them, but those are a little too noticeable. I'm talking flying just a tad of chili powder right under the radar and letting the brain figure it out, not the tongue..

Gonna have to try it.. It's not like we won't make those brownies again..

Changeling
05-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Hmmmmm, if that's the case maybe if I put a teaspoon of chopped up "squid" on the back of my tongue Madona and Lady Gaga would start looking good, subliminally of course, maybe I better make that a heaping tablespoon full!

Doug I'll leave the culinary decisions and experimentations up to you.

However I do have a report on your "Brownie Recipe".
My Son made them yesterday afternoon exactly to your recipe except he only used 3/4 cup of pecans (all he had). He said, and I quote "Tell the guy that gave you that recipe these are the BEST brownies I have ever had" ! Him and his girl friend ate 3/4 of the whole batch he said.
So I'm thanking you as he requested. I know my Son very well and he is not kidding a bit.

I asked him to save me one, I just hope his "taste buds" or his girlfriends dont spoil my chance at that last brownie, LOLAL.

SciFiJim
05-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Just finished a batch and let them cool enough to eat. One suggestion would be to cut the cherries in half. That way they spread further in the batter. They are delicious as is though!

DougGuy
05-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Actually, Gaga looks pretty girl-next-door in street clothes, not bad looking at all.

Garyshome
05-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Send one to me I'll pay the shipping!

DougGuy
05-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Ha you think these last long enough to see the inside of a shipping box?? LOL :bigsmyl2:

Next time I make some I may torture myself enough to see some go out the door!

762sultan
05-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Just took a pan out of the oven about an hour ago. They are not cool but I tried one anyways. I don't think there will be any left by sundown. Very yummy.