PDA

View Full Version : Browning Auto 5 frame

ilcop22
04-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Howdy,

Id been working on a browning auto 5 frame, which required the removal of the mag tube. Being what it is, heat and torque later, and the tube was replaced. When I went to refit the internals, they locked up and wouldnt move freely past a certain point. I didnt use much pressure to clamp it down in a wood vice, but it seems the bottom portion of the frame got tighend. Any tips on how to rectify the frame? Replacing it is not an option. I need to make it work for light/occasional use.

Thanks in advance.

MtGun44
04-15-2014, 04:31 AM
Get a nut and bolt just the right length to fit inside, screw the nut on, then
put in the frame. Unscrew so it make a sort of jackscrew. should be able
to put a caliper on the outside and watch it move back.

Bill

pietro
04-15-2014, 10:36 AM

I may be preaching to the choir, but please keep in mind, if you do any such work in the future - make/fit a steel block for the inside of the action, and have it in place prior to any clamping/heating/torquing, etc, to lessen the chance of any mis-formation.

ilcop22
04-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Thank you both. Sorry for the late reply. Im not quite sure I understand your advice, Mtgun44. Is the point of that to draw the bolt head along the frame, using the nut as a sort of anchor?

DLCTEX
04-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Use the bolt inside the frame as a spreader. A snug fitting bolt should get you almost 3/8 inch of spread. This will require two wrenches. Put the bolt inside the frame with the nut screwed onto the bolt, then unscrew it.

MtGun44
04-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Yes, exactly. With the nut screwed all the way on, the assembly is the length of the bolt. if this is
made to be just a hair less than the width inside the frame it will fit inside, across the frame. As
you unscrew the nut, it will start overhanging the bolt, will give about 2/3 of the nut thickness
as the max added length with full pushing force. This should work in pushing from the inside
to get the exterior dimension back to what it should be. It is a tiny jackscrew with the travel
only equal to about 2/3 of the nut thickness. Actually, you could use a coupling nut if you needed
a bunch of travel, but I suspect we are talking about only needing to move things in the .010-.020
inch range - just guessing.

You will need a wrench in there to hold the head and another to turn the nut.

Bill

ilcop22
04-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Excellent, thank you again! I'll repost with results when I get it done.