PDA

View Full Version : Handi-Rifle disassembly

Marlin Junky
01-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I've read the instructions on Handi-Rilfe disassembly which are posted on the internet and own an SB2-135 (.35 Whelen) which has an additional 5/16" pin above the front of the trigger guard that sits on top of the 3/32" pin that probably secures the front of the trigger guard to the receiver. The 5/16" pin does not go through to the opposite side of the frame. Does it need to be taken out to do an action job? This gun was bought new from a retailer and never modified. Anyone else have a H-R that's configured like this?

MJ

These thumbnails will open into another window for a larger view.

My guess is that instead of putting splines on the smaller 3/32" pin, the larger pin (which just looks like a plug to me) is designed to hold the 3/32" pin in. Can this thing be disassembled and reassembled successfully? Was this just a screw up at the factory?

lathesmith
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Hmm, that 5/16 plug almost looks like either a factory goof or a witness hole to check the reciever locking lug to barrel fit. Neither of my H&R's have this.
lathesmith

Marlin Junky
01-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm pretty sure my H-R is a 2006 model.

You may be right about the witness hole idea. I was depressing the barrel release when I took the picture so the hole could be seen more clearly.

MJ

lathesmith
01-03-2008, 12:39 AM
I meant to add that I don't think the plug will be a problem for disassembly and an action job. I haven't torn down my later model(circa 2002) H&R's down, simply because both of them had very acceptable triggers as they came from the factory. I don't know if I just got lucky or if this is more common now, but I wouldn't want the trigger any lighter than it already is.
lathesmith

Marlin Junky
01-03-2008, 06:56 AM
I removed the trigger and hammer tonight by driving out a total of three pins which was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The trigger job went smoothly and resulted in about a 2# pull which is nice and crisp. I clipped one turn off the trigger return spring and substituted a stiffer locking bolt spring for the one supplied by the factory. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. There might be a .444 H-R in my future. :-D

MJ