PDA

View Full Version : Amerc .44 mag Brass. Would you Even Bother?

steve urquell
04-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I have 50 rounds of Amerc once fired brass from a really cheap box of ammo I bought years ago. It was marked $13.05 if that tells you how long. Most of the flash holes are off center and the brass is light/ thin. I haven't weighed it but can tell by the feel that it's pretty low quality. Accuracy was lackluster.

I've kicked around the idea of loading some plinkers with it with nothing over. 44 spl velocity. Question is, would you use it? Any stuck case in the die or split case horror stories you'd like to share?

Old Caster
04-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Some dies might break their decapping pins and others won't. The longer brass like 44 causes less problems than something short like 45 acp in this manner. Otherwise load them, especially since you are considering light loads. I load pistol brass until they split and that can vary greatly as to when it will happen.

steve urquell
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Some dies might break their decapping pins and others won't. The longer brass like 44 causes less problems than something short like 45 acp in this manner. Otherwise load them, especially since you are considering light loads. I load pistol brass until they split and that can vary greatly as to when it will happen.
I knew something was up when I felt resistance with my decapping die and found the off center holes. I let the brass drift as I decapped and had no issues.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-14-2014, 06:52 PM
I've crumpled many 'amerc' cases when seating a boolit, especially if the boolits are oversized.

SO, I avoid 'amerc' cases...BUT if I had 50 of them in 44Mag,
I'd probably load them with J-words [since they are smaller] with light to moderate loads and pass them on to a friend with a 44Mag that can't afford the ammo. They'll shoot fine and hopefully the brass doesn't find it's way back home.

Blammer
04-14-2014, 08:32 PM
amec, in my bench usually get crunched with pliers and tossed in the brass recycle bucket.

steve urquell
04-14-2014, 09:54 PM
amec, in my bench usually get crunched with pliers and tossed in the brass recycle bucket.
What type of issues have you had with it?

GRUMPA
04-14-2014, 09:59 PM
I'll put it this way.....if I had AMERC brass I wouldn't even use it in someone elses gun.

jimb16
04-14-2014, 10:44 PM
I won't use that junk. I reload a lot of M1 carbine and whenever I find one in my range pickups, it goes straight into the recycling bin.

TXGunNut
04-14-2014, 10:48 PM
I picked up some AMERC 45 acp brass awhile back. Cleaned it, loaded it. May even pick it up again. Seemed pretty decent but my Colts aren't picky, neither am I.

sundog
04-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Every piece of amerc brass I run across goes immediately to the recycle bin -- as in goes to the junk yard.

I will not reload or fire any amerc brass.

slughammer
04-15-2014, 10:59 AM
I've had the primer pockets get oversized after just 1-2 loadings. This was 45acp that got mixed in with my other brass. Trying to run the progressive and then suddenly NO resistance when seating a primer. Pull that one out and sure enough it would be an Amerc.
If you are doing 44spl pressures and a small batch, I would use them, but I would watch out for the primer pockets.

nicholst55
04-15-2014, 11:04 AM

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^.

mold maker
04-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Because I had read comments like the negatives above, I used to trash them also.
I got a good amount in a recent purchase of 45 ACP, and gave a good look at them. Other than the off center flash holes, I found no reason not to use them.
I may not recommend full house 44 M loads, but they should serve light loads as well as any other.
There was a time when I didn't cull anything, that wasn't bent really bad, or split. Some can't afford to waste anything that can safely used.

steve urquell
04-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Some good points on both side of the fence. I appreciate all the feedback. I'm probably gonna load up some squibs soon to firelap my new DW barrel. I think these may be just the ticket.

Alferd Packer
02-13-2021, 02:38 PM
make or buy a LEE decapping pin and shoot them up with medium loads.
Make snakeloads from them.
We try to use everything around here.

Bazoo
02-13-2021, 06:18 PM
Of the mixed brass I've used in 45 acp, I've loaded only a couple pieces. It loaded okay.