PDA

View Full Version : Card Wads & HB

brad925
04-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Can I use a card wad with my Lee 459-405HB? Or should I leave it out with my BP load?

kootne
04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
I used to to shoot my Springfield 1884 rifle a lot with a very similar bullet from a mold made by NEI. Mostly didn't fool with a wad and it shot 8" 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Taylored my loads using Wolfe's book on recreating original loads. In a search for a better load I ended up using neck sized brass, Goex CTG. powder compressed 1/16 after drop tubing, 215 primer, the 405 HB bullet and an Ox yoke wonder wad under the bullet. I punched the middle out of the wonder wad with a 1 hole paper punch on the theory it was going to get blown up into the cavity if I didn't. I seated the bullet and crimped same as Wolf outlined. These loads would shoot 8 or 9 out of 10 into 4" or 5" at 200 but a flier or 2 would open almost every group back to close the 8" I got with service loads. A lot of things can cause fliers, I've always wondered if it was those wads in the base. I think the old 55 gr. carbine loads had wads and that was changed because of messing up accuracy. So I probably didn't answer your question but you have made me think I should dig that old bundook out and shoot it again, it's been gathering dust close to 20 years now.
kootne

brad925
04-14-2014, 08:43 PM
It didn't answer my question fully but it did provide me with information. Whether its what I should do, don't do or maybe try this its all valuable information. Thank you very much.:grin:

Nobade
04-14-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't use wads with those boolits. Same deal, I don't want them jammed into the base cavities. They shoot quite well without wads. If you are really curious just load up some both ways and see which works better.

-Nobade