PDA

View Full Version : Need scope suggestions for 45-70

Jevyod
04-14-2014, 10:26 AM
I have a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 on order:bigsmyl2: I keep thinking about what scope to put on it. First of all, I am pretty much set on putting a scope on it. That is about all I ever shot with, and I feel much more comfortable with one.
The question is, is it necessary to put a scout/EER scope on, or would a normal one work? I must confess that I really do not care for the looks of a scout scope, but if it offers a great advantage over standard, I am open-minded to the possibility of mounting one. At this point I am leaning toward either a Leupold VX Hog 1-4x20 or a Nikon Monarch 3 1-4x20. Both seem to be fairly decent scopes. And both have around 4" of eye relief. However, I am not sure I like the pig plex reticle on the Leupold.
So, is this a good idea, or should I really be looking at something totally different?

Ps. For what it is worth, I plan on this being my first gun that never shoots jwords!

NSB
04-14-2014, 11:03 AM
I just ordered a scope yesterday that I think would fill your needs. Take a look at the Leupold VX2 1-4x20. I think you'll like the extra eye relief and it does what you're looking for. You do not need a scout scope on your side eject lever gun. Scout scopes are a last resort....lost field of view and butt ugly. Check out Optics Planet and ask for a 5% discount. They've given me one every time I ever asked, even without a coupon code.

snowwolfe
04-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Nikon Monarch is the best choice. Have owned two of these on big kicking rifles and never had an issue with either.

bigted
04-14-2014, 01:49 PM
I really like the Leo 2 - 7x scope in the silver color and a VX-2 as well as they seem boolit proof.

I really like to put black base with black rings on the silver scopes that are mounted on silver rifles ... just has that sporty look for my taste.

I very much DONT like the scout scope either ... I think they look kinda like an add on and a tacky one at that. just my opinion tho ... others may just love the look but for me ... NEVER!!!

Leopold scopes in the VX-2 variation have served me very well in all of their variations.

Tatume
04-14-2014, 04:25 PM
I just ordered a Leupold FX-II 2.5x Ultralight scope, and am anxiously awaiting it. It would be perfect on your Marlin, much better than any variable. Variable power scopes are better now than they were in the past, but hard-kicking rifles still break them. At least I can send Leupold scopes back to be repaired, but every time I do I retire the scope to a light kicker and put a fixed powder scope on the gun that broke it.

starmac
04-14-2014, 04:27 PM
PULEEZ don't put a scout setup on it, they is ooooogly. lol My opinion of coarse.

I may have to scope mine, and if so, something along the lines of what Bigted mentioned is how I will go, but probably fixed power.

NSB
04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I've got a Leupold variable on my 45-70 low wall and it hasn't broken yet. I personally don't know anyone who put a Leupold variable on a "hard kicker" and had it break. I guess it could happen but it's certainly not common. I looked at the FX2 2.5 power and almost got it instead of the 1-4 but the 1-4 won out simply on versatility. You can go down to 1x for most hunting situations (within range of this lobbing caliber) or use the 4x for observation and load development. I wouldn't avoid getting the variable because of fear of failure. Leupold has a great warranty and it's made in the USA.

C. Latch
04-14-2014, 05:40 PM
I wish someone made this: An ultra-low mount for the Marlin levers that attached to the rear sight base, the front receiver base holes, and allowed to mount a scope as absolutely low as possible, and with eye relief shorter than a scout scope but a bit longer than a leupold. Ideally the scope would have a 1" tube and a 1" ocular lens housing so as to get it as low as possible. I'd love to put a scope on a marlin but even the lowest mounts are too much higher than a peep sight and very mount/scope combos allow enough eye relief.

YMMV, and +1 on Leupold variables. I love them!

Tatume
04-14-2014, 06:06 PM
I personally don't know anyone who put a Leupold variable on a "hard kicker" and had it break.

You do now. I've had the VX-3 2.5-8x break. I've never had a VX-3 1.5-5x break, but it won't surprise me when it happens.

Leupold does stand by their scopes, that's a fact. But who wants to be away from home and have a scope break?

C. Latch
04-14-2014, 06:22 PM
You do now. I've had the VX-3 2.5-8x break. I've never had a VX-3 1.5-5x break, but it won't surprise me when it happens.

Leupold does stand by their scopes, that's a fact. But who wants to be away from home and have a scope break?

I'm curious: what did it look like when it broke? Did the reticle break or did the reticle look normal and just refuse to stay zeroed or what????

Tatume
04-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Nothing looked out of place on either of the scopes that broke. The zero would change as much as a foot every two or three shots, and then go back to where it was. It was the screws that move the erector tube that failed. Both times I was checking mounts and looking for broken screws in the bases, and when I couldn't find anything amiss, I tried another Leupold scope in the rings. That told the story, and the broken scopes went to Leupold, where they were fixed to like new in short order and returned at no charge.

C. Latch
04-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks! I've heard people talk about scopes going bad before, but had never thought to ask what that looks like.

Tatume
04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Both times it happened to me I couldn't believe a Leupold broke. It took someone else to say "have you tried another scope on the rifle?"

That's not true of Burris, of which I will buy no more. I've seen the crosshairs break, and I've seen a screw loose on the inside of a Burris. Burris sent that one back to me three times before they finally fixed it, and I paid the shipping to them three times. The shipping was catching up to the purchase price of the scope!

From now on, I buy nothing by Leupold.

C. Latch
04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Both times it happened to me I couldn't believe a Leupold broke. It took someone else to say "have you tried another scope on the rifle?"

Wasn't going to mention it, but I have a rifle that has been problematic for some time, and deep in the dark recesses of my mind, I have wondered if I needed to swap scopes. I've checked the mounts and they're fine. Scope is a 2.5-8x Leupold.

I would absolutely kick myself if it turned out to be the scope, but, it's one of those rifles where I never get to shoot it as much as I'd like, never with any regularity, and it's been bothering me. I have a scope I can swap in and try. Gonna put that on my list.

Doc Highwall
04-14-2014, 07:29 PM
I have both a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5x6x42mm and a Leupold LPS 1.5x6x42mm on my Marlin 45-70's and I would not change a thing. Both scopes have 4" constant eye relief and 64+ foot field of view at 100 yards, unfortunately neither scope is being made anymore. I really consider 100 yards a maximum distance with the 45/70 where I hunt and with most shots being much closer field of view is way more important then magnification.

TXGunNut
04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
The Pig-Plex scope has always intrigued me, expecially the iluminated one. My Guide Gun wears the VX-3 1.5-5. Nice price on the Nikon, I've had good luck with their Buckmaster.

Pepe Ray
04-14-2014, 08:54 PM
O.K., I've got $0.02 to spare.
Beauty!!! Looks!!! Ugly!!!

Youve got to be kidding!!
All this balogna from a bunch of HUNTERS????

I wouldn't advise anyone on which scope to buy. Youve all mentioned some darned good ones, great ones, but have completly missed the most valuable aspect of the question.

Ergonomics!! How does the gun handle for you? Your going too be carrying this thing virtually ALL the time. It must be responsive, NOW. The balance in your hands should be the deciding factor NOT is it PRETTY?

Can I get ON target? Now?

Not quite , but doesn't it look great?

YETCH!!

Pepe Ray

C. Latch
04-14-2014, 08:57 PM
most valuable aspect of the question.

Ergonomics!! How does the gun handle for you? Your going too be carrying this thing virtually ALL the time. It must be responsive, NOW. The balance in your hands should be the deciding factor NOT is it PRETTY?

YETCH!!

Pepe Ray

Read my first post. The whole idea behind the scope mount I described was fast handling.

Pepe Ray
04-14-2014, 10:39 PM
C.Latch, look at the big picture.
The O.P. was asking a general question and most of the responses seemed to be debating how attractive their particular choices were over the others.
You are/were on the right track in trying to find a low, comfortable combination, which makes more sense than appearance.
It's a pity we're stuck with "whats available". Try 'em till you find the one that "fits".
Good luck.
Pepe Ray

Doc Highwall
04-14-2014, 10:55 PM
My Nikon and Leupold LPS scopes on my Marlin 1895's go together like peanut butter and jelly, not over powering the rifle balances nice for me.

btroj
04-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Vx3 1.75 to 6 is what is on mine. Works like a charm.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-14-2014, 11:27 PM
I've had a Leupold Compact Ultralight on my Marlin 1895 .45-70 since 1982-84?? No problems, a Leupold VX3 1.5-5 did break from recoil of a light .300 Win Mag.
The 2.5 might be the lightest available. If you don't like available reticles you can send it to Leupold custom shop for something different. There is also a 3x x 20 Leupold fixed available from swfa.com. The light fixed power scopes seem to be the most durable. I have had good luck with both Leupold and Nikon. My standard .45-70 load has been a 300 grain bullet over 58 gr AA2015 for 2250fps so recoil is unpleasant and tough on scopes. I tried an older Burris and an El Paso Weaver on this rifle, but neither scope held together. I have not tried Nightforce, much to heavy and very expensive, but they probably would hold up. I have had good luck with Nikon Monarch's but haven't really used them on anything heavier than a light .308. Yeah, stay away from the 'scout' scopes.

6pt-sika
04-14-2014, 11:29 PM
I don't have a 45-70 thats scoped anylonger but I have several 444's with scopes . And a couple of them shoot rather stout loads .

In the past I had used mainly nice old Weaver and Redfield scopes and by that I mean ones made from the 50's into the 70's .

But ........................ over the least two years I've wrecked or demolished a Weaver V4.5 , a pair of Weaver V7's and a pair of Redfield Traditional 3-9's .

So now I have a rather new Weaver K3 (circa 1980) on my short 444 , a new Redfield Revolution 3-9 on my 2001 444 ballard rifle and I just put a nice Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10x40AO on my 1967 refinished rifle . These three seem to be the ones I shoot the most .

As soon as I kill a deer with my Ruger #1H 416 RemMag I plan on taking the Leupold Vari XII 1-4 off the 416 and put it on my short 444 in place of the K3 .

Clay M
04-15-2014, 08:15 PM
I use the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on my #1 .45/70 and .405 win. I also have them on a 444 and .45/70 Marlin. I have had no problems with them. I have the heavy duplex on two of the scopes because I hunt with them in heavy brush . I can see those reticles all the way till dark.

6pt-sika
04-16-2014, 08:07 AM
I use the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on my #1 .45/70 and .405 win. I also have them on a 444 and .45/70 Marlin. I have had no problems with them. I have the heavy duplex on two of the scopes because I hunt with them in heavy brush . I can see those reticles all the way till dark. I had an old old Leupold Vari XIII 1.5-5 that was made before they had click adjustments . Anyway that one stayed on top another 416 Rem Mag bolt gun I had and now it resides on my buddies 505 Gibbs .

Gtek
04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Leupold VX1 2x7x33 on their mount. Centering scope internally then using big externals to center POI, fine tune with scope. 2x walking, 7x in stand, I have them on all my boomers and they have held up fine. I am pretty sure I have helped some Leupold kids go to college over the years.

Ramjet-SS
04-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Trijicon 30mm with a green post....

woodbutcher
04-18-2014, 01:21 AM
:grin:The one scope that I have always kicked myself for letting go was a Weaver K4 with the DUPLEX cross hair.Used it on every thing from a 30-06 to a 788 Rem in 223 cal.Even a couple of .22 rimfires.Was a great all around scope.This was one of the older Weavers from back in the early 60`s.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Dutch4122
04-19-2014, 04:07 PM
........................................... and with eye relief shorter than a scout scope but a bit longer than a leupold. Ideally the scope would have a 1" tube and a 1" ocular lens housing so as to get it as low as possible.................

Burris made the 1-4x Intermediate Eye Relief Scope back in the late 90's - early 2000's. I bought 2 of them and they are great for the hard kickers. I have them mounted on an H&R .450 Marlin single shot and a .416 Russian Express custom. If you can find one of these (gun shows, ebay, etc) you could mount it using the XS Systems rail and simply attach the scope further back toward your eye until you find the sweet spot for eye relief/head position. Great scopes that stand up to recoil. If they were still made I would buy at least two more.

Hope this helps,

bgmkithaca
04-19-2014, 09:38 PM
For hard kicking big bores I have gotten good service from the Weaver 1-3x20, I have used one for years on a .458 Win. Mag. and it takes the beating a lot better than I do-LOL I have another on a Marlin 1895 45-70 with the same results. I can't say anything against the other suggestions either, there are so many good ones to choose from.

TXGunNut
04-19-2014, 11:48 PM
O.K., I've got $0.02 to spare.
Beauty!!! Looks!!! Ugly!!!

Youve got to be kidding!!
All this balogna from a bunch of HUNTERS????

I wouldn't advise anyone on which scope to buy. Youve all mentioned some darned good ones, great ones, but have completly missed the most valuable aspect of the question.

YETCH!!

Pepe Ray

With all due respect, Pepe Ray, the 1.5-5 Leupold scope on my 45-70 IS fast and handy. I went into a creekbed after a wounded boar with it dialed back to 1.5 power. He was hiding behind a tree waiting for me and I put a bullet (sorry, it was a RP 300) in his ear from about 10 ft before he could move. Guide didn't even have time to get his video camera in action. Said he'd never seen me move so fast and he's seen me in action many times. My answer was I'd never been so close to a PO'd boar. ;-)

Pepe Ray
04-20-2014, 12:49 AM
TXGunnut;
Yessuh. I can see it in my minds eye. Wish I'd been there with you for real.
The comfort and speed of an outfit has less to do with the actual equipment than the relationship the shooter has with his equipment. Hands on is the first move, swing to the target and fire. If you've done this more than a few times, you'll know by the feel in your heart if all is right.
I've no doubt that your Leupy is perfect for your rig. It must be a personal decision however and NOT based on whether its PERIOD CORRECT, or handsome to the eye. Great performance is the achievement to be sought.

OBTW, for those who care, Burris still makes IER single power scopes as does Weaver.
Carry on.
Pepe Ray

jh45gun
04-20-2014, 06:08 AM
I have an older Weaver 1.5 to 4 variable and it is a compact scope and works great on my Guide Gun in 45/70. I shot a doe with it at a measured 190 yards with it. (Had to compensate for the trajectory and figured out the hold over) But for the most part where I hunt is under a 100 yards and the 1.5 X is great for that expecially if the deer are close. I have lost deer in the scope or just saw hair on a 3x9 X set on 3 X or with a straight 4 x if they are close enough. No issues when set on 1.5 X and the 4 X is there if you need it.

Four Fingers of Death
04-20-2014, 06:19 AM
I have an old 1.5- 4x Vari X111 Leupold I bought this second hand off a member of this board. Since I have had it, it has been mounted on a 308Win 7600 Remington Police pump action, a 444 Marlin and on two different 375 H&Hs. It is currently mounted on my Ruger No.1 Tropical in 375 H&H. Great scope. I have heard that the guys in the Northern Territory using this scope on the 416 Rigbys with full house loads have been having trouble, but the 45/70 is a bit of a ***** cat by comparison and it should go well.

I would recommend this scope, good bit of kit.

Doc Highwall
04-20-2014, 10:46 AM
The first scope I mounted on a Marlin 1895 was a Redfield 1.75-5x 20mm as the was what was available when Marlin first started to remake them in the 70's with the straight grip. When Marlin first came out with the pistol grip model I went down and bought one of them and that has the Leupold LPS 1.5-6x42mm mounted on it and it has a constant 4" of eye relief at all powers. I have used the 6x to sight in and I mostly use the 1.5x for hunting. If I had not found the Leupold LPS scope used I would have mounted one of my Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42mm on it and both scopes have about identical specifications and are very sharp and clear.

snaketail
04-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Another $.02.
I have a Mueller scope on my 10-22 and absolutely love the scope. It has a variable intensity red-dot, that I never turn on, it is bright and clear and best of all it is very fast to find the target.
Here's a link: http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-speed-shot-1-4x24
One negative - the scope used 30mm rings, so ya gotta buy the big uns.
I have a similar Leupold and used to have a similar Weaver - the Mueller beats them both.

M

chickenstripe
04-20-2014, 11:25 AM
+1 on the Weaver V3. (1-3 x 20)

I've had one on a 673 guide gun in 350 mag for over 14 years. No problems after 1000's of rounds. Even hundreds of 250grainers at 2500 fps!

45coltnut
04-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I had an extra Leupold rimfire 4x scope lying around and put it on my dads new 45-70 Marlin GBL. Holds up just fine. I wasn't sure how it would do, but then thought what the heck as it has a lifetime warranty and I've never had a Leupold go bad. So, far so good. It's hard to beat a Leupold in my opinion. I know they are more expensive but I buy them to last my lifetime and longer.

Dutch4122
04-20-2014, 04:32 PM
For hard kicking big bores I have gotten good service from the Weaver 1-3x20, I have used one for years on a .458 Win. Mag. and it takes the beating a lot better than I do-LOL I have another on a Marlin 1895 45-70 with the same results. I can't say anything against the other suggestions either, there are so many good ones to choose from.

I have a couple of the Weaver V-3 1-3x20 scopes mounted on pistol caliber carbines and I agree it is a great little scope. Perfect for woods hunting and 4" of eye relief would definitely make it a good choice for the 45-70 Guide Gun.

Maineboy
04-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I have a Leupold Lightweight FX-II 2.5x on my Marlin 45-70 and it works well for me. I've broken 2 cheap variables on this rifle with my stout loads but this one has worked well; no shift in zero and plenty of eye relief.

Four Fingers of Death
04-20-2014, 11:42 PM
I have a couple of the Weaver V-3 1-3x20 scopes mounted on pistol caliber carbines and I agree it is a great little scope. Perfect for woods hunting and 4" of eye relief would definitely make it a good choice for the 45-70 Guide Gun.

I have a pair of these mounted on a 375H&H and a 458WM M70 Zastavas. Nice scope.

Jevyod
04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
I like the way the weaver v-3 is looking. Especially the 4.13" eye relief! But I am used to shooting with a bit higher magnification. 3 power at 150-200 yards doesn't seem like much.

Dutch4122
04-21-2014, 02:59 PM
I like the way the weaver v-3 is looking. Especially the 4.13" eye relief! But I am used to shooting with a bit higher magnification. 3 power at 150-200 yards doesn't seem like much.

3x may not seem like much by todays standards but I can tell you that with the same scope on a .44 Magnum carbine 150-200 yards works just fine. I have shot out to 300 yards with that setup and not felt handicapped at all.

There is such a thing as over-scoping particular gun/cartridge combinations.

Hope this helps,:mrgreen:

Doc Highwall
04-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Remember divide the distance you are shooting by the power and that will be the distance that it would appear to your naked eye, 150 yards divided by 3x = 50 yards to the naked eye.

CPL Lou
04-22-2014, 08:28 PM
My favorite scope to use on my 45-70's is the Leupold 2x7 with the SABR reticle.
Trajectories are very close to one of the 3 settings available depending on the load I'm using.

CPL Lou

TXGunNut
04-22-2014, 11:58 PM
New Weaver scopes are indeed looking good, don't have any rifles needing glass tho. Maybe I need a rifle?

woodsxdragon
04-23-2014, 12:46 AM
i've got a nikon prostaff 2-7 on my guide gun. not a whole lot of rounds down range yet but it's serving me well so far.