PDA

View Full Version : Cast 3030 accuracy ?

Elbow
04-13-2014, 11:19 PM
I am getting a 4" group at 100 yards with my model 94 3030 and peep sight. Don't think I can improve that with my eyes, my load is 22grains IMR 4198 and a gas checked Lee 170 grain bullet. How well do you guys do with kronor peep sight 3030s?

Scharfschuetze
04-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Elbow,

Some lever guns just shoot 4 MOA. Some shoot much better.

Are you using a bead front sight? If so, try a blade front with a square top which, for me at least, gives a more definable sight picture for more precise shooting. If you served in the military, it is much the same sight picture as an M14 or M16/M4, but without the wings.

Have you been to the optometrist lately? If not, take a trip to see him and explain your need for a set of shooting glasses to help you focus on your front sight. I usually have the lens help me focus at about 33 to 36 inches. It's also great for pistol shooting as well as looking at your computer screen if you are suffering from presbyopia (old guy's eyes).

Consider buying a Merrit adjustable iris disk for your aperture sight. It will help you refine what you see through the aperture and allow you to adjust for the various lighting condition while shooting as well as act as a primitive camera lens to yet further your ability to focus on your front sight.

That said, My Model 94 (circa 1953) will usually hold two MOA with any good load using the above recommendations.

TCFAN
04-14-2014, 01:03 AM
If your 94 is just a range gun you might give the Lyman 17-A globe front sight a try. Works real good for targets but not so good for hunting but it can be used..........Terry

psychicrhino
04-14-2014, 01:11 AM
Elbow,

Some lever guns just shoot 4 MOA. Some shoot much better.

Are you using a bead front sight? If so, try a blade front with a square top which, for me at least, gives a more definable sight picture for more precise shooting. If you served in the military, it is much the same sight picture as an M14 or M16/M4, but without the wings.

Have you been to the optometrist lately? If not, take a trip to see him and explain your need for a set of shooting glasses to help you focus on your front sight. I usually have the lens help me focus at about 33 to 36 inches. It's also great for pistol shooting as well as looking at your computer screen if you are suffering from presbyopia (old guy's eyes).

Consider buying a Merrit adjustable iris disk for your aperture sight. It will help you refine what you see through the aperture and allow you to adjust for the various lighting condition while shooting as well as act as a primitive camera lens to yet further your ability to focus on your front sight.

That said, My Model 94 (circa 1953) will usually hold two MOA with any good load using the above recommendations.

A very thoughtful reply. I am getting to an age where it maybe time for me to see about glasses so it was good info.

TXGunNut
04-14-2014, 01:41 AM
I get pretty excited about 1.5" @ 50 yds with my leverguns (and presbyopic eyes) but I don't generally shoot peeps in low light conditions. Adopting a 6 o'clock hold and the Lyman 17A sight as noted above help in range situations.

Rodfac
04-14-2014, 07:50 AM
I got by with drug store cheaters for awhile but now have a pr of dedicated shooting glasses. That said, if you can still hold 4" or less from the bags at 100, you're doing just fine with a peep and bead front sight. A light 2.5x scope might be a better hunting proposition especially early and late in the day or while working up loads. My Win 94 is good for 1.5" @ 75 yds with a peep @ bead. Lyman #311291 gc is the bullet, 14.5 gr. of SR4759 is the load.

Rod

Doc Highwall
04-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Elbow, tell us more about your hand load like, alloy what diameter you size your bullets to and the size of your expander.

pls1911
04-14-2014, 09:51 PM
All the above posts are spot on.. especially the comments regarding the Merritt peeps and possibly the globe sight with various inserts.
Levers will not likely win any benchrest competitions. However, plenty of folks get fine accuracy from Winnies, and I've had great accuracy from early pre-microgroove Marlins, but I have more of 'em.
Also, you might find improvement with a harder bullet, a larger bullet, or a different bullet altogether. I've never had as good accuracy from Lee bullets as I shoot .310-.311 HARD gas checked bullets, and my limited experience with lee molds only threw .308 slugs.

Mike67
04-14-2014, 10:37 PM
I thought I was lucky. I have an old Lee 309-170gc single cavity flat nose that drops a slug at .3115. Guess I better hang on to this mold. Sized at .311 the bullet shoots great out of my Model 94 T.R. commemorative.