PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Blast

butch2570
04-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I made this front rest for rifle and revolver shooting 15 years ago , money was tight then but scrap steel at work was plentiful, my .44 mags keep it shredded though , constantly retapeing her , do you guys have something that works better homemade or bought?? I use this most for shooting at 100, 200, 300 yards at metal gongs and fridge size rocks .102232

salty dog
04-13-2014, 10:42 PM
I've used material from the legs of old jeans as sacrificial protection. But I don't think it's any tougher than duct tape, so if your are shredding that I don't think denim would help.

butch2570
04-13-2014, 10:44 PM
I use old towels and jeans also salty but it just eats right through it , and I still have to retape often..

btroj
04-13-2014, 10:45 PM
I have a Bald eagle bag on my front rest. It has burn marks but has held up so far.

butch2570
04-13-2014, 10:47 PM
I will check those out B thanks.

btroj
04-13-2014, 11:14 PM
I will say that a folded towel with a black powder revolver is a bad choice. Very bad. Like starts a fire bad.

butch2570
04-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Ahhhh , nothing like burning 40 or 50 acres by accident..... I work outside and am a welder by trade , it was August one year and was cutting a piece of 4.5 inch wire rope bent in a cable becket and it threw a glob of molten metal 30 yards over on the hillside when I completed the cut on the bent area, nothing but dry grass and milk weed stalks . It burnt a good 40 acres in 3 minutes, the wind caught that stuff and it was gone...I mean a heck of a fire ,lol

carbine86
04-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Maybe try and find some scrap pieces of leather and strap them down somehow?

C. Latch
04-13-2014, 11:44 PM
A scrap of denim laid over my sandbags keeps them from being scorched; a discarded pair of jeans ought to be good for several hundred shots before it's shredded beyond use.

Ernest
04-14-2014, 12:04 AM
this could be a little expensive but if you could find an out of date bullet resistant vest cheap and take it apart I think it would last a long time.
http://armorco.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=2

69daytona
04-14-2014, 12:10 AM
A piece of fire hose holds up real good,a little hard to get though, try summit racing for the header wrap material, you can get it in different widths and it will handle the heat and the blast for a long time.

MaLar
04-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Good piece of sole leather? from a local shoe repair.

LaMar

Artful
04-14-2014, 12:50 AM
My experience - leather is your best bet with carpet second choice (mult-layer).

but a change of technique might help a lot, as it looks like your putting the frame down on the sand bag
and then cylinder gap is spitting at the bag. You can rest the grip on the bag and get some pretty good groups with out the cylinder being so close to your bag.

butch2570
04-14-2014, 01:00 AM
My experience - leather is your best bet with carpet second choice (mult-layer).

but a change of technique might help a lot, as it looks like your putting the frame down on the sand bag
and then cylinder gap is spitting at the bag. You can rest the grip on the bag and get some pretty good groups with out the cylinder being so close to your bag.
Yes , at very long range I do put the frame on blue jeans, or old towels over the sand bag as this seems to be the only way I can get really steady for long range shots.

Whiterabbit
04-14-2014, 02:09 AM
Yep, I know the issue you have. I ended up welding up my own stand:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102271&d=1397455674

Needs thicker all-thread. And leather pads on the delrin rather than foam.

butch2570
04-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Yep, I know the issue you have. I ended up welding up my own stand:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102271&d=1397455674

Needs thicker all-thread. And leather pads on the delrin rather than foam.

Awesome idea Rabbit, that's what I'm talking about...:-)

Whiterabbit
04-14-2014, 10:44 AM
build it sturdier than I did. No problems as a rest. But as a recoil-taker, it's not as uniform bending as it might be. I don't use it anymore. But I built it to solve the problem you mention, I've lit bags on fire before.

minus delrin, you can walk into a home depot with a 10 and a 5 in your pocket and walk out with enough metal to make that, buy a soda, and still have some paper left in your pocket besides the receipt.

**oneshot**
04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Saddle or belt leather lasts a long time.

butch2570
04-14-2014, 11:44 AM
build it sturdier than I did. No problems as a rest. But as a recoil-taker, it's not as uniform bending as it might be. I don't use it anymore. But I built it to solve the problem you mention, I've lit bags on fire before.

minus delrin, you can walk into a home depot with a 10 and a 5 in your pocket and walk out with enough metal to make that, buy a soda, and still have some paper left in your pocket besides the receipt.

Yea, mine is very heavy , I'm thinking I may be able to take my bag off and drill and countersink a flat piece of thick neoprene or something similar and bolt it to my rest, maybe even sand a vee groove in the heavy plastic block for the frame to set in .. Just an idea now after see yours..

w5pv
04-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Has anyone tried dracon rolled up,I have some out of an old swingset that I discarded?Just asking.

butch2570
04-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Has anyone tried dracon rolled up,I have some out of an old swingset that I discarded?Just asking.

No sir I haven't..

kootne
04-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Here's my .02 on material and fabrication. Nothin' beats leather, no leather cheaper than a garage sale ladies purse. Get some "Tearmender" at the hardware store. "Tearmender" is a latex contact cement that will stick fabric or leather together tighter than the leather was originally stuck to the cow. It is magic stuff, just make sure it's dry on both surfaces before sticking them together. You will never go back to ducktape.
kootne

butch2570
04-14-2014, 10:04 PM
Here's my .02 on material and fabrication. Nothin' beats leather, no leather cheaper than a garage sale ladies purse. Get some "Tearmender" at the hardware store. "Tearmender" is a latex contact cement that will stick fabric or leather together tighter than the leather was originally stuck to the cow. It is magic stuff, just make sure it's dry on both surfaces before sticking them together. You will never go back to ducktape.
kootne
Leather is not a problem, I have gazillions of old welding gloves that I can cut apart and use for that...