PDA

View Full Version : Used Lube-sizers

LeadThrower
01-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I've searched and read a bunch on lube sizers in the forums, but I know I cannot afford a Star at the moment. I figure I'll pick up a used unit at a gunshow, but would like to know if there are classic problems that I should look for when checking them out. Any suggestions?

Forester
01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
The Star is far and away the best out there in my mind, but it certainly is $$$. I was adding up what I have invested in mine with all the add ons and the thing is worth more than my Dillon progressive 550B!

I like the RCBS unit, but I have only handled the Lyman a little bit. I have an RCBS with several dies (.452", .308", .358", .458" .459"),top punches, a Lyman heater, and some Thompson Blue Angel lube I would part with for a fair price because I do everything on my Star now. If you are interested send me a PM.

Edited to add: I have no problem at all saying that ths sizer is as good as new and has been used lightly and carefully.

38 Super Auto
01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I've searched and read a bunch on lube sizers in the forums, but I know I cannot afford a Star at the moment. I figure I'll pick up a used unit at a gunshow, but would like to know if there are classic problems that I should look for when checking them out. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest holding out for a Star is you are a high volume bullet maker. I run a Lyman 450 - it gets it done, but the Star is much faster and is built like a tank.

mtgrs737
01-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Keep an eye on these boards for a Lyman 450 or a Star, better yet place a WTB post in the swapping and selling section and you may get lucky and someone will want to part with one or the other for a reasonable price. Ebay has a couple of Lyman 450 units on auction right now, search "bullet sizer" they go for around $55 to $70 most of the time. :-D

MtGun44
01-15-2008, 01:05 AM
RCBS is almost the same as the Lyman, uses the same dies.

For moderate production the Lyman/RCBS is fine, but for very high quantities
the Star is faster, but expensive and more time consuming to set up with
the silly little lead pellets. Once set up, they really run.

The Lee push thrus are pretty decent, too.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2008, 05:29 AM
If you keep your eyes open you can still find a used star for not much over a 100 bucks. It may not be a pretty new one but it will be serviceable and theres still replacement parts available. If you cant get or afford a star id probably skip the lyman and buy a rcbs. they are a little stouter press and if they do break rcbs is twice the company lyman is for customer service.

K31Swiss
01-17-2008, 08:19 PM

Star:
It is always nice to get a Star but there are some drawbacks. Besides being hard to set up, if you are shooting pointed bullets, especially with gas checks, the push through dents the gas checks. They are more expensive than Lyman/RCBS.
More control of where the lube is going IF setup properly.

Lyman/RCBS:
Use same dies and top punches. Top punches can be a pain, especially finding the right one for a Lee mold.
Since you can't block off some ports in the die, you lube the base of bevel base bullets. If you lip-wrist the stroke, it will sometimes lube the base of the bullet, causing a mess.

Lee push-through:
Cheap. Easy to set up. No top punches.
Pushed from bottom fully through so it won't damage the gas check if the bullet is pointy.
Limited to pan lubing.
If using liquid Alox, they recommend lube, size, then lube again.
Easier to change lubes than Star or Lyman/RCBS as there is no cleaning.

rmb721
01-17-2008, 09:09 PM
You can block the holes in the Lyman dies with lead shot.