PDA

View Full Version : Kiera's first clay bird shoot.

JeffinNZ
04-13-2014, 02:43 AM
Well, the O/U I have lined up to borrow wasn't available so Ivan, our club shotgun convenor, was good enough to track one down that had been shortened for kids. Kiera started off with a swinging target at 15 yards then some clays propped up at 20 yards then onto a straight away bird from 8-9 yards behind the trap house. Ivan is a great coach and was working on her stance etc. She eventually broke a clay after about 10 tries and was thrilled as was I. Ivan kept cringing and staying to me that she was very close every time and with a 12 gauge they would have been breaks due to the much more dense pattern.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_20140413_115309_zps76442c4a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_20140413_115309_zps76442c4a.jpg.html)

I presently have a Scott & Webley .410 single shot bolt action on watch on an auction. Nice little English gun from the 60's.

kbstenberg
04-13-2014, 09:07 AM
I think you have a daddies girl! Isn't it wonderful!

MrWolf
04-13-2014, 09:35 AM
That is great that your daughter wants to learn. I bought mine a 410 O/U for xmas last year and she was not happy with me. She is in college but I still have hopes that she will get off her wagon on firearms.

merlin101
04-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Father N Daughter time, you think it's good now ? Just wait a few more years and she gets married then you'll look back and really smile and wonder where the time went.

garandsrus
04-13-2014, 10:44 AM
It is hard to see in the picture, but it doesn't look like the stock fits her. Too much drop and she doesn't have a cheek weld.

I started my boys with a 20ga and 3/4 oz loads. The lighter recoil was fine for them.

John

DLCTEX
04-13-2014, 05:34 PM
I started my son, black rifle shooter, with a 410 at age nine. He quickly felt handicapped with the small pattern and requested a 20. I cut one down for him as it worked well. Since he was #4 son and ten years after his next brother I traded it off when he outgrew it. Thirteen years after he was born #5 came along and in a few years I bought the gun back. I almost always wind up regretting letting a gun go. Grandsons and great grandsons may eventually wear it out.

JeffinNZ
04-13-2014, 06:26 PM
It is hard to see in the picture, but it doesn't look like the stock fits her. Too much drop and she doesn't have a cheek weld.John

The stock was shortened and in that photo it was her stance. Ivan kept an eye on it all. He's great.

Ajax
04-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Thats awesome Jeff. She is gonna be out shooting you soon. lol

Andy

WRideout
04-14-2014, 06:29 AM
I raised all three of my girls with shooting. While none of them hunt, we generally like to go target shooting when we get together. It's good family fun.

Wayne

bruce drake
04-14-2014, 10:37 AM
What a great day for the both of you! She even wore a matching outfit for the earmuffs!

Bad Water Bill
04-14-2014, 12:00 PM
I would strongly suggest you get your soil tested.

First you posted a carrot that grew and grew and now you post a photo of your young lady that looks like she grew a foot over your summer. :bigsmyl2:

JeffinNZ
04-14-2014, 06:22 PM
I would strongly suggest you get your soil tested.

First you posted a carrot that grew and grew and now you post a photo of your young lady that looks like she grew a foot over your summer. :bigsmyl2:

Ain't that the truth. I have a car trunk full of clothes they have both grown out of. Off to the Salvation Army or Womens Refuge (the clothes, not the girls).

What a great day for the both of you! She even wore a matching outfit for the earmuffs!

I was confident that would not be wasted on you Bruce. :-)

Bad Water Bill
04-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Ain't that the truth. I have a car trunk full of clothes they have both grown out of. Off to the Salvation Army or Womens Refuge (the clothes, not the girls).

There were 27 cousins of mine when my daughter was born.

The crib had been in constant service for almost 50 years.

I did not have to buy much for the first 3-4 years as the clothes were never worn out just outgrown.

Who needed thrift stores etc in those days?:lol: