PDA

View Full Version : tc bullets sometimes seating crooked

waltherboy4040
04-13-2014, 01:09 AM
Lee 4 die 9mm set
lee 120 grain 9mm tc mold coww air cooled

So far I have been having a problem with some of the bullets seating crooked. Before it was slightly shaving a thin ring of brass so I added more flare to the case and it stopped shaving and also helped keep them straighter. I'm new to cast so I'm wondering if I need a different seating stem or add more flare? Thanks for any help or ideas

sigep1764
04-13-2014, 01:54 AM
Are you using a flat seating die? My dillon came with a round and flat seating die. I swapped them out when I went to casting the tc. Seats them pretty straight.

blikseme300
04-13-2014, 02:13 AM
I load both the 9mm TC and .40 TC boolits and found that best results are obtained using a custom powder through expander fitted to the Lee Pro Auto Disk. The expanders supplied by Lee are probably OK for factory bullets but don't sufficiently expand for boolits in diameter or depth. The 9mmP in particular is a tough cartridge to load using boolits as the thicker case walls typically squeeze down the boolit diameter causing leading and poor accuracy.

noylj
04-13-2014, 03:02 AM
+1 for slightly large expander. Also, get a seating die that actually fits the ogive of the bullet. Lee can make one,or any other die manufacturer. How can you expect straight seating if the seating stem if a wobble fit?

MtGun44
04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Hornady dies have a floating boolit alignment sleeve to hold the boolit
straight as it seats into the case. As far as I know, no other maker has
this feature in pistol dies, and the few that have it in rifle dies call them
'benchrest dies' and charge about double price. Hornady has it in all
their standard dies, one of the reasons I prefer Hornady dies.

Bill

Shiloh
04-13-2014, 11:36 AM
What press are you using??

Shiloh

bbqncigars
04-13-2014, 12:13 PM
An expander for the boolits really helps. Stock is for jacketed and may not expand enough. Seating stem can be made to fit using oiled boolit and epoxy on seater.

Cherokee
04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
I use a Lyman seater with the #402 seat stem in Dillon 650 and another one for single stage loading. Works great, captures the sides of the boolit rather than the meplat and seats it straight. I had crooked seating with the flat nose punches but not the #402.

wallenba
04-13-2014, 01:03 PM
I would use a Lyman 'M' die for case mouth expanding, then choose or modify a seating stem for the meplat of your TC boolit. Then taper crimp in a separate die. I favor the Redding. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/214068/redding-taper-crimp-die-9mm-luger?cm_vc=ProductFinding

fecmech
04-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Hornady dies have a floating boolit alignment sleeve to hold the boolit
straight as it seats into the case.
+1 You can just buy the seat die from Hornady. Along with that sliding chamber is a cone style seater that matches up perfectly with the Lyman,RCBS and Lee TC bullets.

JeffG
04-13-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm using a Lyman M expanding die in a Lee Loadmaster and still using the standard seating die that came with the Lee 4 die carbide setup. Instead of the Lee power through expander die, I've switched to the Hornady case activated powder measure after the M die expands the case. I have no issues with them seating crooked. I've replace the FCD with a Lee Taper Crimp die as the final stage.