PDA

View Full Version : okay... i asked about 9mm & 40 s&w wheel guns...but i didn't ask nuf

mozeppa
04-12-2014, 09:14 PM
ruger makes a 30 carbine wheel gun that shoots remarkable enough.
you put the cartridges into the cylinder, close it and your ready to rock & roll.

theres no "moon clips" or any clips at all.

the cylinder is cut to headspace off the case mouth. no clips needed.

does anyone make a 9mm or 40 s&w wheel gun such as the ruger 30 carbine?

if not....could another wheel gun cylinder be cut to accept 9mm or 40 S&W
that headspaces the same as the 30 carbine?

without using moon clips?

sorry about starting a new thread re-hashing an old one.
but this really intrigues me!

btroj
04-12-2014, 09:19 PM
In a single action, yes. In a double action, no.

Headspace isn't the issue, ejection is. Think about how a single action ejects cases as opposed to a double action. See the problem with rimless cases in double action now? Hence the moon clips.

Gunslinger1911
04-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Someone, Ruger ?, came up with a DA cylinder in 9mm with little springs to do away with moon clips. I never shot one. Didn't catch on for some reason.
I would also like to see some kind of system besides moon clips, just doesn't seem to be a demand.

As an aside .............
I have 45acp and 10mm Smith's that take moon clips - get the Rimz plastic clips for range duty.

Moons developed for common ammo for revolvers when 1911 production couldn't keep up with wartime demand. The speed came when full moons were developed.

The great thing about moon clips is the fast reload - WAY faster than speedloaders.
Watch a vid of Jerry Miculek - I think he can keep up with a bottom feeder in extended rate of fire.

Jupiter7
04-13-2014, 02:39 PM
^^^^^ that'd be the charter pitbull. Available in 9 & 40. The reviews I've read are favorable.

To the OP, it is easy to chamber auto cartridges in single actions. The DA revolvers require moon clips. Some one better versed can explain why. My best understanding is case head support from rear and allowing for clearance of cylinder to eject casings in DA revolvers. SA revolvers can have a larger recoil shield(I guess that's what it's called?) because they load an extract from the loading gate, no need for cylinder clearance.