PDA

View Full Version : Smoked turkey

silverado
04-12-2014, 07:19 PM
I planned in smoking a turkey today and got some store bought injection to compare to my own.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/13/y9ujyqa9.jpg
Long story short.... it marinades the meat in one minute, so I guess after several hours in the smoker the places I injected ended up mushy and gross. Maybe it's great for fried or roasted turkey.
My usual injection is this stuff mixed with melted butter. This stuff is delicious and for me makes the best turkey I have ever eaten. Also I spread the seasoning under the skin with the butter
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/13/erusahug.jpg
And just because here is a pic of the turkey I replaced to the grill to try and fix the mushiness
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/13/5yru9e5e.jpg

MaryB
04-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Not a fan of injecting a turkey, leaves holes that leak moisture until they cook shoot. I mix butter with whatever seasoning I am using and put it under the skin anywhere I can reach. Keep the breast on ice until I put it in the smoker(let the rest stick up in room temperature air to warm up). Can also slide bacon under the skin plus I drape the top with as much bacon as I can cram on it. Smoke at 300 degrees so the skin crisps a bit.

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2014, 06:02 AM
I brine soak my turkeys overnight in enough kosher salt to float an egg in a 5 gallon bucket with a cup of brown sugar, about 5 tablespoosn of crushed garlic and two tablespoons of monteral steak seaoning. I smoke them at 220 degrees until the pop up comes up or to 175. Never had a dry turkey doing that and never used an injection or had to baste or add fat under the skin.

gkainz
04-15-2014, 10:19 AM
X2 on the brine ... I've played with a lot of different fruit juice brines, too, and have had some really tasty turkeys. Apple, peach, orange, mango etc ... a few mixed citrus juices. They've all been really good. On the other hand, I always bacon wrap wild turkey breasts before smoking, so there's no way to have a bad one! Everything wrapped in bacon is fantastic! :)
edit: found a picture

Mk42gunner
04-15-2014, 11:21 AM
My folks ran a bbq restaurant while I was still in the navy, so I got roped into helping a few times when I was home on leave.

They just used a dry rub, no injections, and put them on the pit. John also told me never to try to smoke a Butterball; they would turn to mush.

Robert

silverado
04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
My folks ran a bbq restaurant while I was still in the navy, so I got roped into helping a few times when I was home on leave.

They just used a dry rub, no injections, and put them on the pit. John also told me never to try to smoke a Butterball; they would turn to mush.

Robert

Sounds like my problem... my prior injecting was more seasoning than butter so maybe that's why I never had a problem.... The store bought stuff had very little seasoning

Lloyd Smale
04-16-2014, 06:34 AM
never injected a butterball but have smoked many of them just brined and they come out great.

Robert

MaryB
04-17-2014, 01:44 AM
A lot of those injection have an acid base be it vinegar, fruit juice... and that will turn the turkey to mush in the time it takes to smoke. Now a good rub mixed with butter won't but to me it makes the meat to salty in spots.

yoter
04-17-2014, 11:42 PM
My personal preference is for side box smokers. Best results from smoking with indirect heat... low and slow. Usually takes 8 to 10 hours for a turkey.

silverado
04-17-2014, 11:49 PM
I tried my dad's horizontal smoker once.... left the exhaust all the way open and burned through 10 or so lbs of charcoal pretty quickly.... my weber wsm has served me pretty well....

MaryB
04-19-2014, 01:06 AM
My Klose was fuel efficient, used a small amount of wood. Now that I have the Traeger I just fill with pellets and turn the switch on.