PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen cases like this before?

marvelshooter
04-12-2014, 05:23 PM
These were in the brass bucket at the range today. The head stamp reads: DAG and 7.62x51. I know brass is expensive but this seems like quite a lot of trouble to save a few pennies.

Hawkeye45
04-12-2014, 05:47 PM
I think they are training rounds. I have about a half dozen unfired. Very little fast burning powder. Just my opinion if others know better, I would also like the info.

Mr. Ed

Skipper
04-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Yep, they're for training. The first time I ever saw any was in '73 when my Dad brought a few back from the FBI academy. The bullet is plastic and is formed as part of the case. It separates from the rest of the case when fired. They're deadly at short range.

Hickok
04-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Yep, I agree with Hawkeye. They were German made I believe. DAG and MEN headstamps were German.

dragonrider
04-12-2014, 08:55 PM
The few I have seen are grey in color, I don't know any more about them.

Blammer
04-12-2014, 09:19 PM
yep, they are a hoot to shoot!

loud bang NO recoil and the projectile, the plastic bullet really goes fast and accurate!

If you want to see if someone has a flinch, use these!

I bought 250 of them, they are dead accurate for me at 25yds, really loud and no recoil. I think my kids will LOVE shooting them! I know I do!

nhrifle
04-12-2014, 09:39 PM
I do recall seeing some 5.56 full pressure being shot once at a competition. The shooter offered to let me shoot some but I wanted nothing to do with it. I apologize but it has been a few years since I saw it and the shooter and I have lost touch. As I recall it worked fine in his rifle that day, but plastic casings don't seem safe to me and should be saved for shotguns.

Artful
04-13-2014, 12:31 AM
Short range training ammunition
https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m862.htm
http://www.nammo.com/Technologies/Plastic-training-ammunition/
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m16a2/ammunition-types-and-char.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yWYTi8_Pa4

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-13-2014, 01:06 AM
along a similar line, when South Africa was going native, the SA police (white) were shooting at looting mobs. They had these short spitzer plastic bullets they loaded. Not deadly past 25yds or so, but would penetrate the skin and were painful to remove. I got a big box of the bullets, and could get nearly 5000fps out of my 308 Win.

Scharfschuetze
04-13-2014, 02:24 AM
I trained with 'em at FLETC in 1980. They are fun to shoot, but it's really kind of like taking a shower with your raincoat on. 25 yards was the distance we fired them at and for that, they were adequate. We fired them out of Remington 760 Gamemasters, the rifle of my agency at the time.

SawmillJack
04-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Yep they are German although I read somewhere that there was another country also making them. I got some from Sportsman's Guide for my 82 yr old Dad to shoot. I keep asking him to go to the range with me and he just can't take recoil anymore. They are by no means as much fun to shoot as the real stuff but better than nothing. Cost is only $11 for 50. BTW don't buy the black ones unless you want blanks.

madsenshooter
04-19-2014, 11:48 PM
They're even made for the 50BMG. The powder out of those burns about Blue Dot speed and makes good cast bullet loads.

Blammer
04-20-2014, 10:29 PM
I do recall seeing some 5.56 full pressure being shot once at a competition. The shooter offered to let me shoot some but I wanted nothing to do with it. I apologize but it has been a few years since I saw it and the shooter and I have lost touch. As I recall it worked fine in his rifle that day, but plastic casings don't seem safe to me and should be saved for shotguns.

what you saw is NOT this. You saw the ones that shot real bullets. These shoot a plastic blue bullet the same color as the case.

these will not cycle any action

nhrifle
04-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Yep, they definitely shot real bullets and I still question their safety. Training ammo with plastic bullets is fine.

Scharfschuetze
04-22-2014, 12:41 AM
I have a box of 20 of those plastic cased 5.56 rounds. I haven't worked up the nerve to shoot 'em yet. If I find 'em amongst the odds and ends stuff I'll post a photo. As I recall, they duplicate the older M196 round with a 56gr FMJ bullet.