PDA

View Full Version : CC Johnson barrels

Pressman
04-12-2014, 05:10 PM
The question is are his barrels marked with serial numbers, assembly numbers or anything that would indicate a year when made. I understand he put his name on each but what about a number?

Reason being is the Red Head presses that he made are marked with the year of production and a serial number for that year. But, a variation has been identified in the very early presses. We are trying to determine if all Red Heads made by Johnson were marked or if he started some time, maybe a short time, after taking over production. Currently I have an unmarked press with the variation and a 1943 press with the change. 1943 seems to be the earliest year for marked presses.

Ken

Bent Ramrod
04-12-2014, 11:42 PM
His barrels were marked with a number, but the one I have doesn't indicate a date. It has a "DLR" at the end of the number, indicating that the blank was obtained from a barrel maker named Diller, who supplied a lot of Johnson's barrels and also liners for relines.

Jerry Johnson, CC's grandson, hangs out sometimes at the ASSRA forum, and has the index for the numbers. He may have some info on the Red Head presses.

Pressman
04-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks Bent Ramrod, we have got all Jerry has to offer on the presses. Or nearly all. I understand he has a note book that list who bought each press, we have not seen that. It is Johnson's thoroughness and penchant for details that prompted my question. Looks like you answered it.

Thanks,
Ken

Reg
04-13-2014, 10:54 AM
I have 2 Johnson barrels and for each I contacted Jerry Johnson. Each time he came back with a good deal of information. Evidently Johnson used a 5 digit code and was very meticulous in his note keeping.
Think I would contact Jerry Johnson, bet he has the info you want and if you come up with anything could you please post it here. Would like to add to the little bit of what I have now.