PDA

View Full Version : Guns that explode in your hand ( Graphic Images )

Bonz
04-12-2014, 01:57 PM
>>> Graphic Images <<<

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cfd_1397283020#AkjWXR65siV6IamO.17

Smoke4320
04-12-2014, 02:09 PM
great reminder of how we need to ALWAYS practice safe shooting

Bonz
04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
and definitely "safe loading"

Bonz
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM
I would feel terrible if something like that happened to someone that was shooting my reloads.

freebullet
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Thanks for sharing that.

Good reminder of what can go wrong.

jaystuw
04-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks Bonz. That's the most blown up guns I have ever seen in one viewing. Some are a lot worse than expected. Great reminder to always wear your protective gear! Jay

TXGunNut
04-12-2014, 02:32 PM
There's little doubt in my mind that most if not nearly all kabooms are caused by obstructed bores. As long as the bore is clear even a massive overcharge has somewhere to go and the gun in most cases will not be damaged enough to hurt someone. The key is to recognize when a projectile has not left the bore. Good loading techniques will lessen the chances but we still have to be vigilant.

Bill*
04-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Not sure which made my teeth clench more...the pics or the soundtrack! :mrgreen:

Hickok
04-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Sobering reminder to always put safety first. Thanks for the heads-up!

cbrick
04-12-2014, 06:10 PM
There's little doubt in my mind that most if not nearly all kabooms are caused by obstructed bores. As long as the bore is clear even a massive overcharge has somewhere to go and the gun in most cases will not be damaged enough to hurt someone. The key is to recognize when a projectile has not left the bore. Good loading techniques will lessen the chances but we still have to be vigilant.

My thoughts exactly. That and a flat out race in the loading room with a progressive. The ONLY thing in the loading room that matters is how many an hour can you do. Well, the only thing that matters until your hands and gun look like those in the video.

Rick

GaryN
04-12-2014, 06:15 PM
My brother was loading his own back in '71. He was not watching for the inevitable case stretch in an '06 Springfield. He was hunting at the time.He blew the gun up. The front lugs sheered right off. He was losing powder specs out of his eyes for the next fifteen years. He was very lucky. He didn't load anymore until about ten years ago. I told him what happened. Neither one of us had a mentor. I read a lot though. I started loading in about '73. Casting about a year later.

shooter93
04-12-2014, 07:50 PM
My "second home" for many years has either been a local gun shop or a Gun maker's shop so I have seen the results of a ton of catastrophic failures many of which weren't bore obstructions. It's always guess work pretty much after the fact but they have run the gambit of gross over loads to probably SEE. It's 'never' a reload of course or often enough from some person who "knows" reloading manuals are very conservative and can load over max with "no" problems. Some guns held together with no damage to the shooter but many are disastrous with permanent consequences. One of the most impressive ones I've seen was a 243 rifle that bulged the action and really set the lugs back but the shooter wasn't injured. To give you an idea of the pressures involved I kept the case that was still in the gun and I'd show it to people. They would always comment...I never knew Winchester made a rimmed 243....they didn't..... but the brass flowed so much it couldn't tell it from a rimmed case. The neck and shoulder held together and it looked liked a rimmed 243.

DCM
04-12-2014, 08:25 PM
A whole lot of different makes, models, types of actions and types of firearms there.
Not just "one of those"(x,y,or z, plastic, etc) guns, so it really can happen to all types! Wow sure wouldn't think so when someone posts a pic of one blow up with the posts by some mall ninja "experts".
Good link.

I have got to find the pics of what Can happen to your hand when it is over the ejection port when unlosding a live round.

Doc Highwall
04-12-2014, 08:27 PM
One of those pictures with a Savage rifle the owner left a laser bore sighter in the muzzle and the barrel peeled back like a banana. Another couple looked like Savage 110ML muzzle loaders that can use smokeless powder.

Goatwhiskers
04-12-2014, 09:00 PM
I have a "belted" 30/06 case from a customer's rifle out in the shop. Bolt was locked shut, got it loose and the primer was gone, the case head was expanded from factory .466" to .492". Was loaded by an idiot 16yr old kid with no supervision, no idea what he loaded in it. Was a student of my wife's, she had heard him tell his buddies of loading cases with this or that "to see what happens". Surprisingly the rifle wasn't damaged. No pill for stupidity. GW

ghh3rd
04-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm always leery of rapid fire - how can one stop in time if there is a squib load? But I admit, it's fun sometimes to shoot fast. I've often thought that machine gunners must lead a charmed life.

M-Tecs
04-12-2014, 11:16 PM
I have personally witnessed a M1A come apart do to the reloaded mistakenly using pistol ball powder instead of the correct rifle ball powder. It was at a match. We found parts (chunks) 90 yards away.

9w1911
04-12-2014, 11:35 PM
it still confounds me how people can do such things, dont know what powder? pistol instead of rifle? no manuals?

squibs scare the !!!!! out of me

Frank46
04-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Wonder how many of us cruise the different web sites we belong to and I for one always see many questions from a new reloader asking for load info. When I started in 1968 I was and am a "reader" I read and bought many reloading manuals. I only had two firearms at the time. One was a 1891 argy mauser and a M1 carbine. They provided me with hours of shooting and reloading fun. But then again over the years I have also seen loading boo boo's from some of the major ammo mfgr's. Primers seated backwards, case with overly large extraction grooves causing extremely hard chambering due to the extractor having to grab the extraction groove, improperly seated bullets crushing part of the case and others. The overly large extraction groove really threw me for a loop until I measured the groove and checked both mil spec and commercial brands and checked them. Frank

TXGunNut
04-13-2014, 02:17 AM
squibs scare the !!!!! out of me -9w1911

"Loudest" thing I've ever heard at a PPC match was a squib load (after I replaced a Douglas barrel) on the line with 49 other shooters. Three other shooters heard it as well. A 38 target load fired into a 1" heavy bbl will not blow it up but it will bulge it a bit.

sawzall
04-13-2014, 02:44 AM
One of those pictures with a Savage rifle the owner left a laser bore sighter in the muzzle and the barrel peeled back like a banana. Another couple looked like Savage 110ML muzzle loaders that can use smokeless powder.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=11187.0
Here is the thread on the Savage smokeless 10ML. It had to be at least a double charge. I have a good friend with one and he was all excited to sight in his new scope this fall. He left the ram rod in the bore on his first shot. Full load of IMR4198 I believe it was. The rod left in 2 pieces, one of which hit the target 100yds away. It was quite the sound. Didn't hurt the rifle at all, he had it checked out. Did have some real nasty scope bite for a few weeks. He actually got a pair of black eyes and he probably should have had a few stitches around his right eye...which was the most bloodshot eye I have ever seen for weeks! He's a lucky, lucky kid!

TXGunNut
04-13-2014, 02:49 AM
My "second home" for many years has either been a local gun shop or a Gun maker's shop so I have seen the results of a ton of catastrophic failures many of which weren't bore obstructions. It's always guess work pretty much after the fact but they have run the gambit of gross over loads to probably SEE. It's 'never' a reload of course or often enough from some person who "knows" reloading manuals are very conservative and can load over max with "no" problems.-Shooter93

For 20+ years I made my second home in a gunshop and on a public range. I can tell you that most folks are not aware of squib loads and their consequences. I can also confirm that a reloader with decades of experience will sometimes make a mistake. SEE is an incredible long shot but I agree that sometimes it's a possibility. One possible cause of catastrophic firearm failure that I don't think has been given it's due is a theory I call Cumulative Damage. A good example of CD is a Colt or Colt clone 45 Colt fed a few too many Ruger level loads. The first round won't blow it up, the first six likely won't either....but someday it will let go, maybe even when a "safe" load is fired.
A friend of mine owns a public range, his theory is that sometimes a gun "just blows up". He's seen lots of blown up guns but thankfully few injuries. He might be right.

badbob454
04-13-2014, 03:08 AM
i had a davis derringer in 9mm blow up in my hand .... buy enuff gun the load was within factory pressures i pulled and tested all the shells ... proper amount of powder for a standard 9mm

freebullet
04-13-2014, 03:48 AM
Often overlooked gross overpressure is bullet set back.

Bonz
04-13-2014, 04:32 AM
Often overlooked gross overpressure is bullet set back.

especially on the .40 S&W shooting a 175/180gr bullet, happened right next to me a few months ago. luckily for him, it ended up as a hole in the side of his H&K 40 and a 'stinging' thumb

Hickory
04-13-2014, 05:08 AM
Every round that goes into any firearm is a bomb,
thankfully, nearly all explode in a controlled manner.

Stephen Cohen
04-13-2014, 05:20 AM
Even Factory loads need to be watched, My old BSA 243 Win had a problem with Sako factory, the shells would actually jam in the rifling and crimp bullet. Only 4 weeks ago I warned an old gentleman using 223 Vanguard and Sako ammo, sure enough he loaded a round and bolt was tight closing, on inspection we found same problem I had with my 243 he admitted that had I not warned him he would have fired it since the bolt did close. I was given 80 rounds of factory as he does not reload and will never use Sako ammo again.

jeepyj
04-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Wow I've seen a few photo here and there but that was quite a collection in one place. Makes me very happy that in my loading room safe practices are always followed and for me if I don't see it in print (in a loading manual) it isn't loaded.
Thank you for sharing, a good reminder for all of us
Jeepyj

Teddy (punchie)
04-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Good video for every shooter to look at. Never can be to watchful and need to understand the

firearms, at least enough to be able to tell when something is not right. From over loads, to under

loads (double ignition theory), no powder, something in barrel (how many of you inspect your guns

before taking to range,or at range?), or how to handle a miss fire. Some of those persons were so,

just into shooting they for got safety, they paid the bill for that, cost that is high. When you don't

understand ask and learn, read and study, and ask some more.

TheDoctor
04-13-2014, 08:44 AM
I have always wondered if any "special" loads from Vietnam ever made their way over here? Engineered to cause a lethal kaboom.

DCM
04-13-2014, 12:03 PM
I have personally witnessed a M1A come apart do to the reloaded mistakenly using pistol ball powder instead of the correct rifle ball powder. It was at a match. We found parts (chunks) 90 yards away.

I witnessed this firsthand also during a match a match @ RCLRC in the early 90s. It was the fist shot offhand on the low end of the range. Lee P. a lefthander was facing the shooter when it happened. Nothing went 90 yards but a bunch of stuff went downrange and luckily the shooter was not seriously injured.
It was later discovered that he had bought powder from a bulk supplier in an other than factory sealed container, turned out to be a soda bottle that was hand labled.
The powder in question was believed to be W296 instead of the W748 he thought he was getting.
I ran a QL simulation on the ole standby 748 load with 296 substituted and it came up at over 120,000PSI!!! Yikes!

DCM
04-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Here is a related thread on rifle blow ups. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181256-Channeling-P-O-Mauser-blow-up-project&highlight=Mauser+blow

DCP
04-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Its my understanding that SEE is a Myth.
It has never been reproduce. In a lab.

Not enough power with fast burning powder and light loads
Now a double load is a deferent matter.

Bullshop Junior
04-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Good number of AR 15s in that.

Noticed a few lead bullets and rounds that were hand loads. In the revolvers the bullets were still mostly in the cylinder so highly doubtful that they blew up from having another bullet lodged in the barrel.

David2011
04-13-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm always leery of rapid fire - how can one stop in time if there is a squib load? But I admit, it's fun sometimes to shoot fast. I've often thought that machine gunners must lead a charmed life.

Uh, the gun stops at least in the case of an autoloader. If you have a squib in an autoloader it won't cycle the slide. The problem is that the operator racks the slide and continues to shoot or in the case of a revolver continues to pull the trigger after ignoring that something was wrong with the last shot. Electric driven automatic weapons are a different story.

David

jonp
04-13-2014, 03:31 PM
This why when you have a misfire you always wait a minute then clear the weapon and get the brass. If the bullet is there all is fine. If it is not then unload the firearm and look down the barrel. Good reminder.

jonp
04-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Good number of AR 15s in that.

Noticed a few lead bullets and rounds that were hand loads. In the revolvers the bullets were still mostly in the cylinder so highly doubtful that they blew up from having another bullet lodged in the barrel.

I noticed that too. Seems like a classic overcharge to me or use of the wrong powder. Id hate to think of what it takes to blow a cylinder and top strap out of a blackhawk. You needto be doing something very wrong

waksupi
04-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Some years ago, I remember seeing a paper by the Norwegian government experimenting with this, and they did manage to make it happen I recall. Do a search, you may find it.

DCP
04-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Some years ago, I remember seeing a paper by the Norwegian government experimenting with this, and they did manage to make it happen I recall. Do a search, you may find it.

Thanks

I load a lot of Gallery or round ball light loads or Cat's sneezes loads.
I use a fast powder like 700x
SEE just cant happen there is not enough pressure

Never use a slow powder

Old School Big Bore
04-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeow. The most I've ever managed was to jug a chamber in a S&W M28, but I believe that was a live one following a squib. I loaded it, the Smith owner fired it, so I'll never be sure, but a double charge of that particular load would not have fit in the case, and a case full would not have been an overload to start with.
Ed

Polecat
04-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks Bonz I split a 28gage barrel because I left the powder in the mec loader. I don't like learning the hard way. Thanks to cast boolits I can learn from other peoples knowledge, and I do every day.

Bullshop Junior
04-13-2014, 09:11 PM
I've never had more then a sticky bolt when working up a load and getting close to the max. If you are blowing up guns, you really have no business behind a reloading press.

sawzall
04-13-2014, 09:39 PM

What exactly is SEE an acronym for?

cbrick
04-13-2014, 09:42 PM
Secondary Explosion Effect.

Rick

MT Gianni
04-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Felix said he witnessed a SEE and posted about why they happen. Search should find it.

cbrick
04-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Use this link . . .

Google Custom Search of CastBoolits (https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum)

And use these search terms . . .

Secondary Explosion Effect felix

And there are several pages of posts on SEE where felix replied.

Rick

djgoings
04-14-2014, 08:12 AM
I'm so glad that I have a great Dad who stressed safety during reloading and shooting.

snowwolfe
04-14-2014, 10:51 AM
I would feel terrible if something like that happened to someone that was shooting my reloads.

Me to, this is why I will never share my reloads with anyone nor will I ever shoot reloads loaded by ANYONE else.

Doc Highwall
04-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I let people shoot my reloads out of my guns only. There are some people that I have shot and reloaded with in the past that I will shoot their reloads out of their guns. Other people whom I do not know and their level of knowledge in reloading I will not shoot.

Bullshop Junior
04-14-2014, 11:11 AM
I let friends shoot my reloads. But I reload them for their guns and have them leave the gun with me so I can work up a load for it.

snuffy
04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
I posted this back in 2011. It was a double charge!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?117936-What-a-double-charge-will-do

I was reluctant to admit to such a terrible mistake, but received NO flack, just cuddos for the courage it took to admit it. I could have kept silent, nobody would have known. One forum member even found a defect in his revolver that might have caused an off-center (not completely indexed), firing because of a too short cylinder hand.

It's a long read, but well worth the effort.

It's not always a stuck bullet/boolit or bore obstruction that causes a KA-boom!

I have, since then, done batch loading for any round where there is a remote possibility of a double charge allowing a boolit to seat and chamber.

I have a dillon 650 that will NOT allow a double charge to happen. The press will not double charge, and the dillon powder cop die will tell you if the charge is light or over by less than a grain.

My lee 4 hole cast iron turret is used as a single stage with loading blocks with the charge levels inspected for all cases at once before seating boolits. I DO use it in auto advance mode for loads that can use the disc measure, and powders that will overflow the case if double charged. I also use a small magnetic LED light that shines directly into the case to verify there's powder present to avoid a no powder squib.

archmaker
04-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Well i had one explode in my hand, but not due to a barrel blockage, best I can figure (with help of some great individuals on this board) was that the extended ejector, and jammed round resulted in the primer being struck while the slide was almost all the way back and my hand was over the ejection port.

Here is the link to the discussion, I think page 3, post #50 is pictures of the case and my hand.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?58717-Accidental-Discharge-ER-visit-required

facetious
04-14-2014, 02:47 PM
I had a case head let go in a Mini 14 back in the early 80's using a starting load. I had been using Hornady 55gr wcan. I tried a Sierra 55gr with a starting load and on the third shot I didn't see a case eject an then saw that the mag. was gone and I couldn't get the bolt to open. I had to pound it open and saw that the case had let go and messed up the bolt. The ejector was shoved down in to the bolt and the extractor was damaged. I sent it back to Ruger to be fixed. Thy said that thy wouldn't fix it and sent me a new gun and told me that thy thought it was from the Sierra not having a crimp and that the bullet may have set back in to the case when it was feeding in to the chamber. Now I use a Lee FC die on my .223's that could end up in a auto loader.

Bonz
04-14-2014, 03:06 PM
I posted this back in 2011. It was a double charge!

Same almost happened to me when loading .357 Luckily, I caught myself self double charging and saw the possibility due to the case activated powder measure. I weighed all of the completed rounds and found 2 heavy loads, not quite double charges. Maybe not enough powder to self destruct my GP100 but probably would have left a mark… I removed the bullet feeder from my Hornady LNL Ammo Plant and put a powder check die in that station to reduce the posibility of a heavy or double charge.

snuffy
04-14-2014, 06:43 PM
For those that didn't follow the link, here's a couple pics of my blown 44 SBH;

oldfart1956
04-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Scary subject. Try as we might for the most part we are mere mortals, most of us anyway, and do fall short of perfection. A moment of lack of concentration or oversight and it happens. Last winter while on the range working up some loads for the trapdoor, neighbor and fellow reloader Jeff walked up and during a pause in the shooting reached into his coat pocket and commenced laying parts (many of them) on the bench in front of me. His Ar had "let loose" and I was amazed at the damage. I pointed out that the brass had flowed back into and filled the firing pin hole and commented.."had a wee bit too much of something in there...ehh!" Perhaps the issue was a lack of crimp? Next time I see him I'll have to mention that. Other than a red face, a pronounced twitch and some minor loss of hearing he's fine. Audie...the Oldfart..

MtGun44
04-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Looks like the "plastic fantastics" are a whole lot less protective of the
shooter's hand than metal framed guns.

Bill

bikerbeans
04-15-2014, 03:35 PM
thanks

i load a lot of gallery or round ball light loads or cat's sneezes loads.
I use a fast powder like 700x
see just cant happen there is not enough pressure

never use a slow powder

+1,

bb