PDA

View Full Version : Feel like a little boy at Christmas!!!!

Jevyod
04-11-2014, 06:25 PM
After the advice I got here, I went ahead and ordered the 45-70 I wanted!:lol:It is the Marlin 1895 SBL. I put 20% down, and they will order it for me! Now the waiting begins! Now I need to figure out what molds to get for it. I am thinking something in the 300grn range for whitetail and 400+ for bigger stuff!

45coltnut
04-11-2014, 06:57 PM
My dad recently got one just like that. At first I was too was going to buy a mold in the 300 grain range. But, after reading all the good replies on the 405 hollow base Lee mold, I purchased it. Man oh man, that boolit shoots good. Loading H322 straight from the mold air cooled with Ben's Red lube. It will shoot a 3 shot cloverleaf! I've got to buy me one now!! :)

DLCTEX
04-13-2014, 03:14 PM
The Lee 350 gr.. pb is good to 15-1600 fps. If you want faster velocity you will need a gas check. The lighter boolits are more pleasent in the recoil department. 4759 has been my favorite powder, but will have to be replaced. I'm thinking possibly 5744.

bigted
04-13-2014, 04:27 PM
the only thing I have against the Lee 459-405-HB boolit is that it only casts 1 at a time. you are rite in the woww dept. it really shoots well and all this out of a 30 dollar mold. cant go wrong with that boolit mold and to speed up the casting you could buy 2 molds and swap back n forth in the casting operation to get a bit faster boolit making times ... however if the casting Zen should allow a feller to get into the "ZEN" of the job and enjoy tha casting for just what it is ... making 1 perfect cast boolit at a time.

probably the best mold for the money I have run across ever. it just works.

DLCTEX
04-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Hollow base is not needed if you cast a large enough boolit.

bigted
04-14-2014, 01:41 PM
the hollow base is a very nice ...[and historic] ... advantage when shooting blackpowder loads. also I have never shot this boolit with any 45-70 that it didn't perform very well. like I said ... it just works. and it just works with a 30 dollar investment.

I however agree with the size statement ... it is not necessary to have a hollow base boolit ... it just works well in all rifles without the worry of changing and having expensive molds for each rifle and their different bore sizes.

Necessary ??? NO ... nicely rounded boolit for all applications [mostly] YES. :coffeecom

snowwolfe
04-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Make sure you examine the rifle very thoroughly before accepting it. I looked at half a dozen recently and all had very poor wood to metal fit around the sides of the receiver.
Hope you get a good one:)

HiVelocity
04-15-2014, 09:16 PM
I just use the Ranch Dog 460-350-RF for everything, at this weight, I dont see the benefit of using anything heavier. I would encourage a little higher velocity over weight. Just my .02 worth.

HV

TXGunNut
04-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Congrats! Check for change under the couch cushions and behind the car seat, I'm already for pics and a range report. ;-)
My Guide Gun loves the RD 460-350. I think NOE makes a version (or two) of it but last time I went over there to do some research I ordered my second NOE mould for the month...you're on your own. ;-)

KirkD
04-16-2014, 06:14 PM
I certainly understand. When new lever gun is on the way, it is Christmas time all over again.