PDA

View Full Version : New-to-me Winchester 94

mikeym1a
04-11-2014, 04:14 PM
I recently bought a 1968 model Winchester 94 in .32 Winchester Special. The wood is blond, and shows evidence of being being 'refinished'. I'm not fond of the blond wood. What to do? Also, there is an irritating trigger safety in this firearm. Can I remove it without disrupting anything else? Thanks for any advise. mikey

Outpost75
04-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Best and easiest way to get a nice color on light colored hardwood stocks is to first strip, steam to raise grain, then sand and apply Minwax Special Walnut stain, then finish with Brownell's Fairtrimmer's Military Oil Finish. It will then look the color of a birch M1 or M14 stock as arsenal refinished.

OverMax
04-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Just a suggestion. Call Track of the Wolf and ask if they carry a stain similar to what winchester used back in 68. As far as its trigger safety. I assume you mean: its lever safety that requires its shooter to squeeze its lever fat up against its stock wrist before it will allow its trigger to move fully rearward. You would have to remover its stock to observe its Saftey working parts. It might be a tad miss aligned is all. Not a big deal to repair.

TXGunNut
04-11-2014, 10:58 PM
I believe I have her little sister, a 32WS built in 1969. Seemed to be birch or some other blonde wood. I renewed the finish on the buttstock with a Birchwood Casey kit. While repairing a few dents in the fore end I sanded thru the factory stain but I got it pretty close with some walnut stain.

yooper
04-11-2014, 11:35 PM
These guys have the closest to the old Winchester stain on the market. ( http://www.tapaderaswinchesters.com/gunstockstain.html ) You may want to give them a look.
yooper

Hickok
04-12-2014, 07:09 AM
I would just get used to the trigger safety, as it does serve a good purpose. It has been on the '94s since way back.

Now I do detest the "lawyer induced" cross button and tang safety on the latest Winchesters and Marlins.

You have a good rifle, as the .32 Win. is a rarer find than the 30/30.

OverMax
04-12-2014, 08:55 AM
I'll have to admit Yooper that one stain N-35 laid down with a foam brush sure looks close to the original. That little bit of red tint sure does the trick.

mikeym1a
04-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Just read the link that Yooper put up. Think I'll go that route. Neat that it doesn't have to be completely stripped for application. I'll have to wait til I get home and send him a letter with a check. Thanks guys!