PDA

View Full Version : Any grip gripes with Ivory polymer?

shooting on a shoestring
01-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Yep, already thinking about dressing up my new little Stainless Blackhawk. But I wonder has anyone had any discoloration, degredation, deterioration of polymer grips, such as the fake ivory types, due to powder solvents or powder residue? It seems to me they wouldn't be on the market if they did turn dark and smudgy, but I'd love to hear if anyone has anything to say.

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2008, 05:50 AM
they never gave me any problems and are much easier to care for then real ivory. A little windex will clean them right up. I even had a set on my old army ruger and you know how dirty those things get.

scrapcan
01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
The buffalo horn polymer is also in the same class and has worked well. I liked the buffalo horn polymer grips better than the ivory polymer on a stainless vaquero. Depending on which brand of grips youare buying you may have some fitting to do. The ivory may be easier to polish after you fit to your grip frame. It took some time to make the polished areas of the buffalo horn polymer match the rest of the grip polish.

anachronism
01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I had exactly one pair of Ajax polys on a stainless 1911. The first time I took them out shooting, they broke. I called Ajax and they said the screws must have been too tight since they broke between the medallion and the gripscrew holes. They were kind of nasty about it, so I never bought anything from them again. I do like ivory micarta, it seems to be really tough.

shooting on a shoestring
01-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Well, Ajax was not high on my list, but thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking Hogue, micarta Ivory might be nice. I may have to wait a bit to repopulate my shooting toy funds. I'll keep an eye on the catalog houses and perhaps browse a gunshop or two. A set of pearly whites might be lurking in the dark corners somewhere.

TCFAN
01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
This is what my Ruger looks like with the fake ivory grips.......Terry

45nut
01-05-2008, 12:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/revolvers/45LCs.jpg

my 2 45 BH's have worn Ajax Ivory's for a long while,,a scotch pad applied lightly smooths and cleans them from occasional oops.

C1PNR
01-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I had exactly one pair of Ajax polys on a stainless 1911. The first time I took them out shooting, they broke. I called Ajax and they said the screws must have been too tight since they broke between the medallion and the gripscrew holes. They were kind of nasty about it, so I never bought anything from them again. I do like ivory micarta, it seems to be really tough.
All of the problems I've had with Ajax grips were with "Mother of Pearl" on the 1911. The first set broke and were replaced by Ajax, and then the second set broke and I never contacted them again.

I will admit, though, that I've had good luck with the Ajax "Stag" grips on my Colt Frontier Scout in .22 Magnum. I put those grips on shortly after I bought that Colt back in the early 60's and they're still going strong.:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2008, 07:37 AM
just keep in mind that ajax micarta isnt true micarta its polymer just like the rest of the fake ivorys are. Real micarta is very expensive and will set you back more then a set of stags will. But its proably the most durable grip materail made.
Well, Ajax was not high on my list, but thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking Hogue, micarta Ivory might be nice. I may have to wait a bit to repopulate my shooting toy funds. I'll keep an eye on the catalog houses and perhaps browse a gunshop or two. A set of pearly whites might be lurking in the dark corners somewhere.

HABCAN
01-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I had 'Jay Scotts' on Ruger SBH 3-screws and Colt SAA's. They gave excellent service.

miestro_jerry
01-11-2008, 02:03 AM
I have a set on my Kimber Target Model, and I keep them clean with a white or gray scotch brite pads.

They work well for me.

Jerry