PDA

View Full Version : Mauser rear sight

350mag
03-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I was ordering from Gun Parts and they had some Williams rear aperature sights listed as specials for $6.95. They fit some obscure Ithaca 22. Well for that price I ordered a couple of them just to check them out. They are designed to mount on the left side of a flat reciever with 2 screws.
I wanted a reciever sight on my Mausers without drilling and tapping and have been looking a long time at the ejector/bolt release and figured I ought to be able to do something with it. I ground the raised finger projection off the top so it was flat from the pivot piont forward. Then I silver soldered a mounting plate vertically to the back edge and just screwed the sight to the thin plate. I had to grind the screw head to match the contour of the reciever. The sight pivots with the bolt release body and seems to return to the same place when released. I am sure it is not the perfect setup due to some play in the system, but is probably as accurate as I need it to be for hunting and plinking. The advantages are that I can move it to any of my Mausers, and the bolt release body is a cheap easily replaced itim. I probably should have ordered some more of those sights.
I will try to get a picture taken and posted if anybody is interested.
Ken

C1PNR
03-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I wonder on how many different models of Mauser this would work? I"d really like to see a photo!

350mag
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Sorry, the pictures didn't turn out, I'll try again and see if I can get them a little more clear. I tried the bolt release/ site assembly from the 48A on my Mexican small ring and on the 98/44 and it works on both of them. I did have to take the rear scope base off in order to get it to clear. I am working on mounting the same kind of sight to an old Weaver style scope ring to have a quick change rear sight to fit on a Weaver style scope base. The problem so far is that it mounts on the same bore axis as the scope and I would have to have a front sight that is VERY tall. I have tried mounting the aperature on the underside of the elevation arm and it works and is well protected, but looks a little too strange to me. I might be able to get used to it.
Ken

C1PNR
03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
I've got a '95 Chilean Carbine that needs better sights if I'm going to shoot it well.

By better I mean something these Senior Citizen eyeballs can focus with, and that probably means a receiver sight.

lar45
03-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Yes, some pics would be interesting to look at.

350mag
03-23-2005, 04:10 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=267161&sort=7&thecat=500&passw ord=
OK I am trying this picture thing. I hope it works, if not I'll try again.
Ken

45nut
03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Ken,,,the actual url of the pic is below the pic,,example:http://www.hunt101.com/img/267161.JPG
The address you copied had your account # embedded within,thats why it wouldn't work...
Now with just the pic url as above we have,,,
http://www.hunt101.com/img/267161.JPG

Ken

350mag
03-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks Ken,
I'll try to get some better pictures now that I can make this whole picture thing work. I wish I had a better camera now that I can get some better close ups without them being out of focus.
Ken

shooter575
03-23-2005, 06:10 PM
350 Mag
That is a great idea.Like to see more pics. Just might be the ticket for 1/2 century eyes.Like the idea of getting extra bolt release to keep orgional orgional Thanks

350mag
03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/267214.JPG
Ok Here is another not so good picture.
I was planning on getting a spare bolt stop too. You do need to pay attention to how far back you mount the sight on the bolt release since the aperature will interfere with the bolt lift if it is to far back. i think they might make aperatures with different length shanks so you might be able to make corrections if needed.
Ken

C1PNR
03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
I like the looks of that system!

Now need to see if I can find an extra bolt release, and aperture sight to fit. :)

Buckshot
04-02-2005, 08:15 AM
...........Pretty neat makee-do. I LIKE that kinda stuff. Now some Swede-o-phile with an all matching M96, or M38 who wants apurture sights need only get a spare ejectorbox-bolt stop and do the deed :lol:

................Buckshot