PDA

View Full Version : Stick On WW

alamogunr
01-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I have approx 2/3 bucket of stick- on WW that I have separated out of the regular WW before smelting. I have resisted trying to clean them up because of the adhesive. On a whim I thought I would try some biodegradable degreaser I have on a few of the strips. After about 3 hours soaking in a TV dinner tray, the adhesive just slid off. Whatever was holding it to the weight released its hold and the adhesive came off. I couldn't believe it would be that easy. I probably only used about a 1/2 cup of the stuff and reclaimed almost all of it. Next step is to find a bigger container and soak the rest a little at a time until they are all clean. I don't know what this stuff is since I got it at work when they were disposing of an excess. It has an orange like smell and an amber color. At one time I had a 5 gallon bucket but probably only have 6 or 8 quarts left after giving it to friends and pouring some out (I did say it was biodegradable didn't I?) I'm passing this on in case some of you don't want to smelt the stick-ons because of the smoke and stink. Maybe you can find something similar.

John

Swamprat1052
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
They do stink. I smelt outside and my neighbors havent figured out what the smell is so I havent had any problems so far. Wonder when the CA Air Police are gonna come knocking on my door wondering what I'm burning. So far so good.

Thats interesting, thanks.

Swamprat

NVcurmudgeon
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Coleman fuel, turpentine and lawnmower gas are great tire tape solvents. Takes about an hour.

alamogunr
01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
The unexpected thing about the stuff I used is that the adhesive just came off. It didn't get gummy or semi- dissolved. When I finish I'll just filter the degreaser back into the container. It might work in less that 3 hours too. I had other things to do and that was when I went back to check it.