PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube-a-Matic II won't size RCBS boolet with RCBS Top punch!

Elkins45
04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
I thought this was ironic: my new RCBS boolet can't be sized in my new RCBS sizer.

I bought a new LAM 2 last week and ordered a RCBS 200 grain 30 caliber silhouette mold at the same time, along with the appropriate top punch. I cast a few of the boolets yesterday and was looking forward to sizing them in my new RCBS sizer.

Imagine my surprise when I found out there isn't enought room between the bottom of the top punch and the die to insert the boolet! RCBS sells a top punch/mold combination that won't fit their own sizer!

Luckily there was plenty of room to size them in my old Lyman 45, but I will admit to being disappointed because I wanted to test the particular lube I had just filled the LAM with. I'm thinking about calling RCBS and seeing if they have any suggestions on making the boolet work in their sizer. Maybe they have a special short top punch that will fit?

tomme boy
04-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I have the same ones and it sizes just fine. That bullet is very tapered and is not needed to be pushed very far into the die. Are you saying that the top punch is too large in diameter to slip into the die? If you are, you are pushing it way to far into the die to lube it.

Elkins45
04-11-2014, 03:56 PM
No, I'm saying that with the ram all the way up the distance between the top of the sizing die and the bottom of the top punch is too short for me to put the bullet in place to size it by about 3/8".

I will take a picture tonight.

Bullshop
04-11-2014, 05:20 PM
It is possible that your ram linkage is reversed and not allowing the full throw of the ram. I got one that way NIB. Reversed the linkage and all was well.

tomme boy
04-11-2014, 07:04 PM
The two rods going down loosen the nuts and lower the plate down about 1/4" or more then lower the top nuts and tighten. That will let you raise the handle more to get the boolit in the die.

MT Chambers
04-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Folks may also be able to insert the bullet into the die a ways before lowering the top punch.

Elkins45
04-11-2014, 08:42 PM
The two rods going down loosen the nuts and lower the plate down about 1/4" or more then lower the top nuts and tighten. That will let you raise the handle more to get the boolit in the die.

Oh...duh! I'll bet that's it. Wow, do I feel like a dummy. I'm used to the 4500 with just the simple loop at the bottom and totally forgot it could be adjusted like the 45 can.

johnc486
04-13-2014, 08:51 AM
I just recently went through the same experience as you before I called a friend to help me, just a sr moment (we're both in our golden years, yeah, right).

Elkins45
04-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Yep, that was the problem. 10 seconds with a wrench and all is well.

Boy am I glad I didn't call RCBS.

Lance Boyle
04-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Yep, that was the problem. 10 seconds with a wrench and all is well.

Boy am I glad I didn't call RCBS.

LOL, yea a vehement email would have been printed and posted up in someone's cube too.

Glad you got her did. I got my LAM used with no instruction so I was kind of helen kellering and using my superior intellect. Hours of entertainment!