PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks Horndy vs Lyman

Dennis Eugene
01-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Of all things I was sizeing some 45 cal bullets when I ran out of Gas checks I finished up with what I had then got on the 'puter to order some more from, Midway. Found the Hornadays on sale for $31.99 K down from $35.49. Also found Lyman GC at $42.99K. I have always used Hornadays and just was wondering is there something I'm missing here, are the Lymans superier in any way to warrent the higher cost? Thanks for your time Dennis Eugene

Shiloh
01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
There are many references to this subject both here and on some of the other gun boards.
It is reported that the Lyman checks are made by Hornady.

Shiloh

bobkimball
01-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I am new to casting and Gas Checks.
I use a Lyman 450 and have a Gas Check Seater.
Do I need to seat all gas checks first and then remove the seater guide?
Then would I size and lube the bullets?
Any help is appreciated.
Bob K

KCSO
01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I usually seat my checks by hand and just run them through the sizer. It kinda depends on how tight the checks fit some just push on and some neeed a good squeeze to seat them.

NVcurmudgeon
01-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I am new to casting and Gas Checks.
I use a Lyman 450 and have a Gas Check Seater.
Do I need to seat all gas checks first and then remove the seater guide?
Then would I size and lube the bullets?
Any help is appreciated.
Bob K

Some do exactly as you said. I have never used the GC seater, but I always size, lube, and apply GC in one fell swoop. That works most of the time, when the GC is a good fit on the GC shank of the boolit. If not, annealing and/or expanding the GC is needed before seating them.

carpetman
01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I have had either a Lyman or an RCBS for over 40 years and don't think I've ever even seen a gas check seater. I place the check in the sizing die and as NVCurmudgeon said do it all in one swoop. I now question whether gas checks are needed and if they help any, is it enough to offsett how proud the manufacturers have became of them. I shoot both .22 cal and 6mm without them and at velocities over 2k and don't notice a difference with or without. Come to think of it,if we are so purist that we have to say j-word,and boolit aren't we to a degree giving way a little to the "J" concept when using gas checks?

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I too have been told there now the same. But if there not and the lymans are more expensive pass on them as the hornady checks are better (they crimp on) for less money.

MT Gianni
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I occasionally have a bullet that the check may not look square on after I lube it. That is the only reason I use the seater, to square up those odd looking bullets. Gianni