PDA

View Full Version : New RCBS Mould has gaps

Laredo
04-11-2014, 08:02 AM
I was trying out my new RCBS .257 120 gr. mould last night. Aside from the usual "mould being too cool starting out", I was getting the lead fins at the boolit nose. I held the moulds up to the light and saw daylight. I checked the mould faces for any splatter or debris but nothing. I even cleaned the mould faces with a bronze brush. Same thing. Again I held the moulds up to the light (after the cleaning), saw daylight.

I was also casting with a new Lyman .45 cal. 225 gr. mould so I compared it to the RCBS mould but it too had some daylight at the boolit nose area. But it didn't give me the fins when I coasted with it.

Am I casting with my lead too hot?
Or should I call RCBS and send the moulds back?

L Ross
04-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Using some magnification, check the alignment pins and their matching holes for burrs. I also have found that handles can cause alignment issues. I have some blocks that work best with some handles and not so much with others. Lastly I have adjusted the pins by carefully drifting them with a non marring punch to allow the blocks to close completely.

gray wolf
04-11-2014, 08:34 AM
This is not UN-common, it happens, sometimes it can happen after a year of successful use with a mold, and sometimes it never happens. Fixing things like this is part of owning and using the equipment used by us.

It would help you if you learned how to adjust the mold pins. They probably need one of them or both of them to be driven in a very small amount, to much and and the mold halves will not close tightly. Don't pound on them, go slow. Tap and test, till it's correct.
Also as the mold gets up to temp there is a good chance the fins will go away.
No offense, but sending things back that are in need of small fixes just drives the cost up for everyone.
Someone else may come along and explain the process a little better, it's not a difficult thing to do.

Laredo
04-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the advise guys.
I will try drifting the pins after I have a magnified looksy.

Graywolf, no offense taken but I respectfully disagree with you on calling a manufacturer or sending defective products back to be corrected.
I am in the QC/QA business. If the designer or manufacturer is not aware of problems, it will only get worse not better. I see the results of both everyday.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Dusty Bannister
04-11-2014, 10:51 AM
What are you using to lubricate the mold pins and sprue plate?
There are a number of other suggestions to include pressing the molds together to speed up the break in or move a slight burr that might be interferring with the fit and closure.

detox
04-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Sometime the RCBS pin fit can be a little tight, but will become easier to close after some use. Squeeze handle tightly together when closing, then inspect gap.

cbrick
04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
Graywolf, no offense taken but I respectfully disagree with you on calling a manufacturer or sending defective products back to be corrected.

Mr. Wolf is correct and no, it is not a defect. It is something that on occasion happens. It will take less time to properly adjust the pins than it will take to get it boxed up to ship back.

RCBS is the very best off the shelf mold made but it does happen. Get a small brass punch and a small hammer, place the mold on a piece of wood or something solid that won't mar the mold. Look to see which side has the widest gap and very slightly tap that pin in. Put the blocks together and see if it was enough, if not do it again. Once the locks close properly hold the blocks together and try to twist them sideways, when doing this if you can feel any movement you went to far so simply reverse the process and tap it back out very slightly.

It's a simple fix and something that can happen with any mold.

Hope this helps . . .

Rick

GaryN
04-12-2014, 03:52 PM
It's kinda like owning a gun. Once in a while it requires maintenance (cleaning and lubrication). There are all kinds of things that can happen to a mold when using it. There is a learning curve. I would never send one back for that. I think that Rick and Grey Wolf gave you good advice. Those pins move for a reason. So you can adjust them to be just right. Buy a cramer mold and you can really have some fun. You will either learn how to adjust it or have to stop casting. There are problems that require sending them back. I had a Lyman mold that was casting undersize. It also had one funnel on the sprue plate that was not cut deep enough. I ended up sending it to Eric @hollowpointmold.com and he opened up the bands. He did a great job. My revolver was a little oversize too so I just made the mold fit the gun. Then I deepened the funnel on the sprue plate. It is now a great mold. The last time I used it I made 55 pounds of boolits.

Laredo
04-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the good advice guys. I drifted the alignment pins in a bit and now, no gap. Haven't tried them yet but will soon.
Learning curve coming over from old style Lee moulds.

I also think RCBS should be eager to advise me of that and they should maybe, just maybe, state that same advise in their mould instructions literature.
Lee is always pretty good about giving pointers.